April 18, 2024, 11:00:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: More bad news for modified vehicles  (Read 9168 times)
Olds

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 08:21:23 AM »

Regarding trikes. At present, as far as I can tell, there are no plans to apply the new proposals to MSVA. Also it is not whether you sit on or in, have handle bars or steering wheel, or what the engine came out of. It is the wheel configuration and weight (trike) or power and weight (quad) that determines if the vehicle subject to MSVA.
Yes Bob should get on and finish the trike. Probably sooner than later. New bike emission limits are getting tighter and who knows when someone in authority, might decide to change the rules.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 08:23:21 AM »

Well after reading various messages on diffierent forums..I decide to contact the lady from the DVLA who's been assisting me with my trike..ie..building it on my Disibilty ? She told me that has from 1st January (2018) I can no longer do that..(dam I ran out of MONEY and time  Embarrassed). And it has to be built to go through MSVA..which means changing several things but still doable I'm sure,?  But I suspect it's going to be a while now ? So for anybody who's thinking / building one please be aware ?
The lady I spoke to is Amanda Price..Kits and Rebuilds dept..always been very helpful to me ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:37 AM »

Within the huge, jumbled bureaucracy of the DVLA, there are actually some very knowledgeable & helpful people. The woman in charge of one-off builds at the Wimbledon office, (my local one when I lived in Guildford), was absolutely charming & really knew her stuff, helping fill in all the paperwork & advising me on loads of stuff. She even stayed on beyond the end of her shift & missed her train home one day to get the forms submitted.
So no opt out of MSVA for disabled builders any more? Hadn't heard of that.
Bob's found someone to wire up my old trike, which was one of the main stumbling blocks to completion -so yes, come on Bob, get it done! Even if you sell it, it'll be worth more if it's running Smiley;

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 02:25:36 PM »

I'm glad I rang her because I'd arranged to take to the weighbridge and MOT centre ? I'm so fed up now?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »

Just a set-back Steve, not the end of the World. A few modifications & it'll go through normal MSVA won't it?
Don't give up mate Smiley

stinkey

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »

Cheesy I'm ok dude,it's been a long slow slog with being poorly and government cutbacks now causing more grief..and more health issues cropping up Undecided if I ever sell my house ,I may be finishing the trike off in Spain ? Cool

kapri

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102714/new-emissions-laws-likely-as-government-loses-court-case-over-pollution-plans
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »

Doesn't sound good does it.
Surely traffic isn't the only big pollution producer? There must be other things they could target as well?

Baychimp

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »

The poor motorist pays again while big business gets away with it.
kapri

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 03:36:56 PM »

Careful what you wish for Wink In the States big business was told to clean up their act . They could however simply create emission credits by removing old polluting cars from the road. So instead of sorting their problem they created a shortage of vehicles driving secondhand vehicles prices up and and crushing od restorable or parts cars Sad
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 12:03:34 AM »

It would be interesting to see the figures, the real figures, for the emissions created by the additional electrical energy generation required, to "fuel" those 'clean', electrically driven, vehicles, which are to be the principal solution to the CO2 problem, though how we extrapolate that to Boeing 'Jumbos' et al defeats me.... mmmmm... Huh Huh Huh  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
JayJay

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 12:57:07 AM »

Bad news Stinkey. I'm sure you will get it sorted though.

The Bournemouth DVLA office were excellent too Andy. I used them a lot. They really helped me with my trike and it was a chap from there who came out to give the final ok. A lady there also saved me when I needed to tax my car but had a problem with my tax exempt certificate. She too worked way beyond her job description. I sent a commendation letter to her manager and included a thank you card for her to let them know I appreciated it.

Totally shortsighted action when they closed all the satellite offices. So much knowledge lost and more hassle for us punters. I assume they lost their jobs unless they could relocate perhaps.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
minimutly

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »

It would be interesting to see the figures, the real figures, for the emissions created by the additional electrical energy generation required, to "fuel" those 'clean', electrically driven, vehicles, which are to be the principal solution to the CO2 problem, though how we extrapolate that to Boeing 'Jumbos' et al defeats me.... mmmmm... Huh Huh Huh  Morrag
Not so easy to bash the airlines, or even revoke their tax exemption on fuel, cos it would make the news big style - flight costs would nearly double, people couldn't afford holls etc.
Easier, much easier to bash the motorist, and net the enthusiast with him.
The cost to jobs in this country will be huge - all those firms supplying bits to rebuild old cars will go pop, it'll take time, but they will...
Aaand, it won't make a bit of difference to the air quallity for 99.9% of the pop.
stinkey

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 08:45:44 AM »

Bad news Stinkey. I'm sure you will get it sorted though.

The Bournemouth DVLA office were excellent too Andy. I used them a lot. They really helped me with my trike and it was a chap from there who came out to give the final ok. A lady there also saved me when I needed to tax my car but had a problem with my tax exempt certificate. She too worked way beyond her job description. I sent a commendation letter to her manager and included a thank you card for her to let them know I appreciated it.

Totally shortsighted action when they closed all the satellite offices. So much knowledge lost and more hassle for us punters. I assume they lost their jobs unless they could relocate perhaps.
cheers JJ I will eventually ..the lady I spoke to was so helpful and I could hear the other girls laughing in the background so obviously enjoying their work ? Cheesy

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »

And even before the emissions from fuelling, what about the figures for building them, and making batteries for them, and the HUGE problem of disposing of the batteries when they're done for>

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: