March 28, 2024, 08:45:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 544962 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2565 on: July 24, 2018, 06:23:25 AM »

Get building the Truck dude! Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2566 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »

I'll be back on it this afternoon -if I don't keel over in the heat first.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2567 on: July 24, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

Ex...bloody.. actly Grin..20+ years from now you will, possibly, hopefully, be wondering, "can I get another year on two wheels..." as I am now! but its just a game, you know it....so, rock on! Wink..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Archie

« Reply #2568 on: July 24, 2018, 08:07:23 PM »

Before it goes is it worth getting some pics over to blue bear so it can be immortalised?

I know you didn’t build it to feature it, but it would make for a nice finishing touch / end
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2569 on: July 24, 2018, 10:11:22 PM »

Maybe. I've had half a dozen feature bikes & trikes over the years, but don't buy magazines any more.

the coppersmith

« Reply #2570 on: July 25, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »

I know Andy has seen this, but thought I'd share it anyway  Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2571 on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:18 AM »

Have you seen how short those exhausts are?!
I always wonder how some of these bikes would look with someone sat on them. That's nice, but very short -would it look out of proportion with a rider? Nice work though.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2572 on: August 06, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »

The XS is still sat in my garage, awaiting collection, so while I was grabbing some tools from there this afternoon, I checked the plugs. Very sooty.
Cleaned them & it fired up first kick, though it was a bit hesitant when I blipped the throttle, but I think it's low on fuel.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2573 on: August 07, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »

Bound to be something silly?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2574 on: August 07, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »

Bound to be something silly?

Yes - like it just doesn't like Manky cos he was rude about it once too often!

Grin Grin Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2575 on: August 07, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »

I'm starting to suspect that!

The North

« Reply #2576 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »

It did start to feel like I was struggling on with it more for other people's enjoyment than my own in the end. I kept getting told you can't sell it, you mustn't sell it -well yes, actually I can.
When it died, I got off it & thought I can't even be bothered to get annoyed about it. I've been a life long biker, but circumstances change, lifestyles change -I've changed & now there seems more negatives to riding bikes than positives. We all chop & change projects all the time. Life goes on.
I had a break from bikes for a few years, came back to it with a Speed Triple with Sara, had another Speed Triple when I was with Tanya, then started building this. Had another 2 girlfriends in the meantime & moved house again. Different way of life, different group of friends, nobody else to ride with, not interested in the traditional bike rallies & shows I used to go to anymore. I think I've just got older & can't be bothered with it all. I still have an interest in bikes but this one has finally proved I've lost the buzz I used to get from riding. Not sad about it -I've had 4 decades of biking & survived reasonably intact, with some great friends & memories, but I really am done with it now.

I thought it was an awesome bike and its so close to being complete too, i can not say i expected you to move it on but its clear to see you had not to put too finer point on it ENOUGH!
   So move on my friend its the logical thing to do, but please let time be the decider on if you give bikes up or not from now on.
   You feel done with them now but emotions are a funny old thing dont let them rule you man.
 Here you go! Ill plant one little seed of doubt on you leaving bikes behind. Deep down could you just have a glimmer of desire for another triumph triple?   Grin
   Whatever you do enjoy it i think thats what went wrong here, You stopped enjoying it  thats all, i think the fact it had two wheels was very much a secondary issue.
  Move on mister but dont move out not just yet in any case old age will decide that for us all in the end and thats something none of us has a say in anyway.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2577 on: August 17, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »

Thank you.
The bike's still sat in my garage at the moment. Local guy Tom is buying it but needs a month or so to come up with the money. I've got someone coming to collect the bike lift this weekend, but still got other stuff in the garage at the moment, so there's no huge rush to move it on.
The last time I rode regularly was ...14 years ago. I had a Triumph Speed Triple & a girlfriend who lived 30 miles away & had just got into biking. Neither of us had a car so we rode our bikes everywhere, all the time.
A couple of years later I'd moved in with another girlfriend who liked bikes but didn't have a licence. A local bikeshop had a Triple for sale identical to my previous one, so on a whim, I bought it. My lifestyle had changed though & I was a bit older & it just wasn't the same. I think I rode it half a dozen times in a year.
Fast forward a few years & I'm single again & a bunch of younger local mates were all getting into the chop scene & I thought Hmm, I wouldn't mind another one.
Built it, ridden it, not getting the same buzz I used to.
I think I've just grown out of it all. Can't wait to get my hotrod finished & drive that, but 2 wheels really doesn't do it for me any more. It's not a spur of the moment decision, it's been coming for a long time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:47:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

The North

« Reply #2578 on: August 17, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »

Well that sounds like its a reasoned move leaving bike behind, and least ways now you have  more time and fresh funds to throw at your pop or another project if one takes your fancy.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2579 on: August 18, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »

No more projects! Smiley
I've got a friend coming from Libcolnshire tomorrow to collect the bike bench, so I stopped at the garage this evening to check it was ready & working O.K.
I started the bike while I was there. As usual, it fired first kick & sat there happily chugging away. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, but even as I sat on it with the engine running, I had no desire to ride it off up the street.
It might sound a bit pretentious to talk about having an emotional connection to a vehicle, but I don't. I don't feel anything for it at all. It was the same with my previous bike, the second Speed Triple. I think that tells me all I need to know. I've been just going through the motions of bike ownership for the last few years without really enjoying it any more.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:14:51 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174
  Print  

Jump to: