April 23, 2024, 06:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 548233 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:06 PM »

This one's VooDoo's fault! He posted the link to it on Ebay in the For Sale bit of the forum.
Just driven half way across the country in a rented van to pick up this little jewel from sunny Lancashire.
A 1980 Yamaha XS650 SE.
The "factory custom" version of the XS. Came with pullback bars, (similar to these but lower), smaller tank, stepped seat & cast wheels. This one has a 2009 tax disc so has presumably been ridden in the last year or so. Looking a bit sorry for itself, but it's got potential.
The clutch & throttle were disconnected & the chain's hanging off, so not rideable, but after 10 minutes of jump starting from a battery pack & spraying bucketloads of "EasyStart" down the carb mouths, it finally fired up & didn't sound too bad. It came with 3 plastic buckets full of odds & ends, some of which might actually belong to this bike.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:07:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »

voodoo

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:31:46 PM »

Superb project when and if you ever get the time lol....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »

I just grabbed it while it was there. No huge rush to build it -I'll put it in the shed & just tinker with it when I feel like it.
The plan is to build a low budget bobber/chop.
Cut the back off the frame & hardtail it, stretching the arse end a few more inches. Maybe rake the front end out slightly once it's sitting lower at the back. A Harley Sportster tank & sprung solo saddle. Short rear guard. Strip & polish the aluminium wheels. Add gaiters to the fork legs. Flat bars. Standard position footpegs. Long straight high level exhausts down the lefthand side. Gloss black frame & a big bucket of gold metalflake on the tank & guards.
Just something to blat around on on sunny days.
It was on Ebay with a Buy It Now price of £795. I made an offer of 600 & we agreed on 650. It wasn't in a rideable condition though & only seemed to run on a constant stream of Easy Start, (actually the can was called "Start Ya Bastard"!). Might just be out of fuel, who knows. The battery's dead or the charging circuit's not working cos there was no power there at all other than the Jump Start thingy.
So we settled on 600 quid. Less than 2 week's wages.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:07:54 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »

I'm seriously thinking of going "legit" & putting it in for the SVA registration test once I've cut & reworked the frame. Don't know anything about the bike test so will look into it & see what's involved.
That "sissy bar" & ape hangers have gotta go!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:41:56 PM »

Bars & backrest binned. Lookin' better already!
I'll strip it down, cut the back off the frame, then start mocking up the look I'm after.
Not taking precendence over all the other projects, just something different to play with.  Smiley

tbone

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:58:24 AM »

Will you never learn!  Grin
On the plus side though, its nice to have "something different" to do every now n then, i find it can kick start a struggling interest in whats allready going on.
Andy, if you are getting rid of the bars, i`ll happily swap them for a few quid with you  Wink

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Clive

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:55:08 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »

Measure up the sissy bar an if it's wide enough I'll buy it off you (providing you want to sell that is) Grin

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
voodoo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:09:36 AM »

Ha ha so its all my fault!!!!!...So could it be you who is smiting me into oblivion? lol.....Hope you got it for a good price in the end.......Voodoo.....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
tazet
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:23 AM »

The guy wanted over 700 quid for it but because of the state and condition of it Manky managed to knock him down to 600 and it was paid cash on the spot. Have sent him a text with all your requests for the bits and yes they will not be going back on so they will be up for grabs. Will measure the sissy bar in a bit for ya Doc and when he took it off one of the mounting tabs broke or atleast was already broken but should be able to re weld it back on.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »

What was that about getting the Pop finished before the rules change..................    Wink

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
nabsim

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »

If Twisted decides he doesn't want the cissy bars then if you are willing to post to me let me know and I can either send cheque of Paypal if you prefer.

Cabman77

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »

bugger, Tbone beat me to the apes  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: