April 19, 2024, 05:28:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 547667 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2550 on: July 13, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »

It's an American made Biltwell helmet, pinstriped by PD's nephew. I'd like it signwritten to match the Pop doors when they're done, but painter's etiquette says it's not the done thing to wipe off one artist's work & replace it with another.
I like these Bell helmets, but most open faces are heavily padded so tend to sit very high on your head. The Biltwell's nice & snug fitting.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-custom-500-chemical-candy-mean-green-helmet?kclid=01e24188-d21c-48ac-8921-1bf783bbe195&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm6HaBRCbARIsAFDNK-gKalxxIXeUUsV9b0myTRmWiWLJhhcCZn08irb5HjV0BEGsNRdovOMaAp8cEALw_wcB

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2551 on: July 22, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »

O...K, I'm done with this now.
I'm currently sat on the side of the South Circular, waiting for the AA. I was cutting across the middle of London & the bike's been popping & banging & stalling at junctions & finally died. Sooted up plugs, or ignition, or fuel - who knows. I no longer care. Just not interested in it any more.
My biking days are over.
No, I'm not sat there. I just stopped there earlier Smiley

Stix

« Reply #2552 on: July 22, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »

So sorry to read this Andy, I can only suggest you put the bike into a competent shop that knows yamaha and ask them for a quote to check just what is wrong with it and is it worth spending the money on it to get it  running 100% might not cost as much as you think but it does sound like a weak spark causing the problems as the carbs have bees set up already.
If you sell it it will be a sad day for those that have followed the build but I can understand you frustration with it. Angry Angry
Archie

« Reply #2553 on: July 22, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »

Got a set of standard carbs here if you want to try those? They were off a running bike so could be a way of eliminating one possible problem
terry t

« Reply #2554 on: July 22, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

Like Archie said Andy Try the carbs he got. that the only way to tell if its a fuel related problem.

Looking a your carbs on the bike float bowls don't look like they hold much fuel. it could be there not man enough to run the bike properly in this heat

were they balanced and what jets did you have fitted
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2555 on: July 22, 2018, 07:48:34 PM »

My first thought was HEAT and evaporation ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2556 on: July 22, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »

Mr M, I understand that you are running new Amal Concentric's on your machine, however, try the offer of a pair of "standard" carbs. first. Me, I go the opposite route and run my Trumpet on a Mikuni as opposed to the standard Concentric, why, I have found Mikuni's to be a better carb. over the years, so it's worth a prod? I doubt that it's ignition woes, from the symptoms, but....never say never. I do have reservations regarding your exhaust system's back pressure characteristics though, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2557 on: July 22, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »

Already sold, my friends.
Mr Coppersmith offered to buy it a few months ago, but local guy Tom, (Tom PRS on the forum), stepped in & finished the build & MOT'd it. He matched Steve's offer & in view of the work he did & his determination to keep the bike in the local area, it's going to him. I'm sorry Steve, but I hope you understand. Nothing personal my friend.
So I made 2 phone calls from the roadside in Putney, one to the AA & a text to Tom. He's on holiday in Tenerife, but immediately said Yes. We'll sort the details out when he gets back.
I really am done with this now.

minimutly

« Reply #2558 on: July 22, 2018, 11:41:33 PM »

Oooo, sad day...
spanners

« Reply #2559 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:47 AM »

Cry
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:46:22 AM by spanners » Logged

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
merv

« Reply #2560 on: July 23, 2018, 07:43:42 AM »

Tis a sad day

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Olds

« Reply #2561 on: July 23, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »

. Cry
Oh well at least I will still see it around and you didn't set fire to it.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2562 on: July 23, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »

It's been coming a long time Andy.  I expect you'll feel a twinge or two of regret from time to time, but on the whole, you've let it simmer and it hasn't really been a sudden decision has it?

One less thing to think about!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2563 on: July 23, 2018, 10:49:44 PM »

It's just another 'bike! Huh It's not living and breathing, so, Mr. M , onward and upwards old son, pick-up to finish, then off into the sunset!!............( or whatever) Grin Grin...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2564 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »

It did start to feel like I was struggling on with it more for other people's enjoyment than my own in the end. I kept getting told you can't sell it, you mustn't sell it -well yes, actually I can.
When it died, I got off it & thought I can't even be bothered to get annoyed about it. I've been a life long biker, but circumstances change, lifestyles change -I've changed & now there seems more negatives to riding bikes than positives. We all chop & change projects all the time. Life goes on.
I had a break from bikes for a few years, came back to it with a Speed Triple with Sara, had another Speed Triple when I was with Tanya, then started building this. Had another 2 girlfriends in the meantime & moved house again. Different way of life, different group of friends, nobody else to ride with, not interested in the traditional bike rallies & shows I used to go to anymore. I think I've just got older & can't be bothered with it all. I still have an interest in bikes but this one has finally proved I've lost the buzz I used to get from riding. Not sad about it -I've had 4 decades of biking & survived reasonably intact, with some great friends & memories, but I really am done with it now.

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 174
  Print  

Jump to: