March 28, 2024, 05:15:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 545002 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1995 on: June 16, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »

Yeah, we can check the voltage again on Sunday.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1996 on: June 18, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »

Big thanks again to Tom today for giving up his Sunday morning to make a start on wiring in the new blade type fusebox.
Instead of being buried in the bottom of the electrics box like the last one, this one's fitted to the underside of the access lid, with long enough wires to remove the panel & flip it over to check the fuses. Modern blade fuses will also be more vibration proof than the old glass ones, (blown several of those already). The wiring's on multi pin connector blocks so I can remove the lid completely for easier access to the rest of the electrics.
Thanks Tom. Very professional looking job Smiley
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:30:57 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #1997 on: June 18, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »

Big thanks again to Tom today for giving up his Sunday morning to make a start on wiring in the new blade type fusebox.
Instead of being buried in the bottom of the electrics box like the last one, this one's fitted to the underside of the access lid, with long enough wires to remove the panel & flip it over to check the fuses. Modern blade fuses will also be more vibration proof than the old glass ones, (blown several of those already). The wiring's on multi pin connector blocks so I can remove the lid completely for easier access to the rest of the electrics.
Thanks Tom. Very professional looking job Smiley
A good job done there Tom. is the charging circuit ok now.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1998 on: June 18, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »

Seems to be Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1999 on: July 02, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »

Many thanks to young Tom for coming back this morning & completing the tidying up of the electrics box, hooking up the new fusebox on multi pin plugs to the underside of the access lid, shortening various other wires, heat shrink sleeving a lot of it & generally making everything more accessible. Thanks Tom. I appreciate it.  Wink
Unfortunately, we now have an issue with the indicators. They haven't been touched recently, but now, when the headlight's on low beam & the indicators are switched on, the headlight flashes! How can that happen?! They obviously don't share the same feed, but may share a common Earth. Sometimes all the indicators come on, but don't flash. Is current somehow bleeding back through the circuit? They're bulb indicators, not LEDs & we've changed the relay from an LED one to a standard bulb type one.
I know a low battery level can cause odd stuff like that, so I've taken it out & charged it up again. I'll reconnect it next time I'm at the garage & see if that's magically fixed it, but if not, we'll have to experiment with seperate Earths on everything. I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but this bike really is fighting every step of the way.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:50:09 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

dr big750

« Reply #2000 on: July 03, 2017, 01:18:58 PM »

A bad earth may cause this problem, take a spare temporary wire from negative on battery to each affected light to see which has the bad earth, this will identify which circuit is not earthed well enough
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2001 on: July 03, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »

Andy I had the same with my trike last week? One day everything was working next day headlights wouldn't flash,then one indicator wasn't working ? Turned out to be low battery ? Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2002 on: July 03, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »

Smiley It's weird. We, (Tom), hasn't touched the indicator wiring for a while & it was working fine. I charged the battery overnight & refitted it this afternoon. The engine runs fine, but now when I switch the indicators on, opposite corners light up!
Tom's got a spare, good battery so we'll try that next.

tom_prs

« Reply #2003 on: July 04, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »

It sounds like charging the battery has made things even more unusual? I'll pop over with a spare decent battery to see if that helps, but I'm starting to think it may have something to do with the ground connections?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2004 on: July 04, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »

Yeah, maybe just run a spare length of wire from the battery Negative terminal to each light & see if it cures it?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2005 on: July 05, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »

I've decided to change the seat again!
I'm going back to the one I started with -the one the frame was built for. It's slightly bigger & more comfortable than the one that's been on there recently. The cover got torn, so I bought a new one & passed the old one on to Archie. He's not using it though, so I'll get it re-covered. Tom's got the one  I took off & the previous one I tried went to Loony, who passed it on to Archie!
Anyway, I've moved the front mount, so now the spring mounts don't line up. Nothing's ever easy is it. I've ordered some "hairpin" springs, which might fit easier than coil springs, for a tenner from Ebay, but if not, I might just rigid mount it -yeah, I've had plenty of hardtails before & seat springs do bugger all anyway. We'll see.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:36:52 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2006 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:22 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2007 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2008 on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »

Olds

« Reply #2009 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »

I've had plenty of hardtails before & seat springs do bugger all anyway.
That sort of depends on the springs used.  Wink
Not a lot of padding on that seat for a rigid mount. That combined with the positioning of the fuel taps and I'm beginning to suspect some masochistic tendencies.  Cheesy
Looking good.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: