April 23, 2024, 03:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 548333 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1980 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »

Yeah, never really noticed it on bikes before, but the lights are wired to come on all the time with the ignition on & it's quite a pronounced dip in headlight brightness with each flash of the indicator. It'll be fine Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1981 on: June 09, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »

Checked the lights with the engine running. They get brighter when it's revved, which I guess means it's charging O.K. the sidelight bulb in the headlight dims as the indicators flash, but the low beam doesn't seem to, or at least, not noticably. The LED light in the speedo also flickers in time with the indicators. Rear light seems O.K.
Front end lights need a better Earth?
Engine started first kick, so I assume the charging circuit's good now.

flc

« Reply #1982 on: June 09, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »

I think you should be ok as the alternator gives full charge at about 1500 rpms ,so you won't notice when riding, my mums old reliant regal had to be revved at mot time to get the indicators to flash at the correct speed. Sounds like like everything works as it should.
Archie

« Reply #1983 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »

Every bike I've had is dimmer on the lights at idle than when revved up.

If it's running fine and the lights are working don't worry about it
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1984 on: June 09, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure it's fine, but I haven't had a bike for a few years & never noticed it before, but as I said, this one has the lights wired on all the time so it's more noticable.

scannerzer

« Reply #1985 on: June 09, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »

You could try a heavier earth wire if all the front lights share an earth,if for example one earth runs 2 21w indicators and 1 5w side light then the earth would need to ba able to handle 47w plus a bit for comfort so w/v=a....47w/12v=3.91a, I'd go for a 6amp cable minimum
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1986 on: June 09, 2017, 09:59:00 PM »

You know that means absolutely nothing to me don't you?! I'll pass it on to Tom though. Thanks.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1987 on: June 10, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »

The mini speedo has bright blue LED illumination which I finf quite offensive -why blue? Surely white would be the logical universal colour? Really stands out on a green bike as just wrong. Can't change it cos the gauge appears to be a sealed unit.
Yellow headlight tinting film. That'll fix it. Blue + yellow = green right?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1988 on: June 10, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »

Nope. Apparently it just equals an even brighter blue. I give up. I quite like the yellow though when it's parked up with the ignition off, (speedo's wired to be lit all the time the ignition's on), & a plastic film might save the glass from stone chips as it's right next to the front wheel.

Olds

« Reply #1989 on: June 11, 2017, 06:31:19 AM »

Nope. Apparently it just equals an even brighter blue. I give up. 
Not sure how that worked !  I've never quite got my head around how adding all the colours of the light spectrum gives white light. Shining light through a coloured film is not quite the same as mixing colours. If you want it to light up green, try a green filter. Should work as blue and green are next to each other on the colour wheel.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1990 on: June 11, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »

Smiley I know -baffled me too, but I've given up questioning these things now. It shows yellow when the light's off, but seems to be almost clear when you shine light through it, which I suppose is what you want when you use it on headlights. Less than a quid on Ebay for a 6" square of adhesive film, so worth a try. I'll leave it on there now.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1991 on: June 11, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

Yep, coloured light is different from coloured pigment.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1992 on: June 14, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »

Threaded inserts have arrived from the States for the fuel taps. Although the taps are advertised as 3/8" NPT, that appears to actually mean they're an NPT thread to fit 3/8" fuel pipe. The thread's actually 5/8" NPT.
Sorted now, but I need to get the old fittings cut out & the new inserts TIG'd in, then respray the tank.
My fuel pipe's 1/4" I think, (6mm), so I'll either have to try & stretch it over the 3/8" spigot, (10mm), or try & change the brass spigots for smaller ones. I've got spare taps so can experiment with removing one.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:05:06 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1993 on: June 16, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »

More electrical gremlins. I swear I've never had a bike that's fought me every step of the way like this one.
Stopped in at the garage on my way home from work & fired the bike up, just cos I can. Ignition on -barely any lights & indicators hardly flash. Fired up first kick, but died the second I tried the lights or indicators, like flicking a kill switch.
Tom thinks it might just be a matter of the bike not being used enough to charge the battery, (it charges when revved, not at tickover), or possibly a second duff battery. He's wiring the relocated fusebox for me on Sunday, so I'll pull the battery out & charge it again before then.
I just want to be able to ride the damn thing! Sad
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:52:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

terry t

« Reply #1994 on: June 16, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »

More electrical gremlins. I swear I've never had a bike that's fought me every step of the way like this one.
Stopped in at the garage on my way home from work & fired the bike up, just cos I can. Ignition on -barely any lights & indicators hardly flash. Fired up first kick, but died the second I tried the lights or indicators, like flicking a kill switch.
Tom thinks it might just be a matter of the bike not being used enough to charge the battery, (it charges when revved, not at tickover), or possibly a second duff battery. He's wiring the relocated fusebox for me on Sunday, so I'll pull the battery out & charge it again before then.
I just want to be able to ride the damn thing! Sad

It may be where you keep starting and letting it tick over. needs a run to recharge the battery. wont charge on tick over small amount of voltage being generated. or could have a power drain check battery volts with nothing on. no wait a moment with ignition switch off.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: