March 28, 2024, 02:05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 544993 times)
Olds

« Reply #2160 on: October 18, 2017, 06:13:02 AM »

That would be far too easy. Someone likes making life difficult for himself. Wink
Taps are mounted horizontally to the tail of the tank (means that a reserve wont work without modification to the tap reserve feed pipe ) so really need the outlet 90' from inlet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:16:51 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2161 on: October 18, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »

Tongue
I looked at those Terry, but the taps mount horizontally to the back of the tank, so I need right angled fittings to drop the fuel line down to the carb, (no room for a big loop of hose in front of the seat & I think it'd look naff anyway).
The taps I bought have right angled outlets so will be much tidier. They're also a bigger bore size. I don't think the previous ones were bike taps & seemed to have a very low flow rate. No reserve position.
It'll get sorted eventually.
Not much progress to show at the moment. I've cut back the paint on the rear light & re-fitted it & Tom took the bulb holder home & soldered longer wires on it. The light was hard wired -no connectors, so we had to cut the wires to remove the shell so I could repaint it, (it had a big scratch in the powder-coat & over-spray from touching in the frame). Also fitting an LED bulb while it's apart cos it's already blown one normal one, just through vibration while ticking over.
Just fed up with working on the poxy thing now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:45:43 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2162 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:58 PM »

One step forward ...
Another visit from Tom this evening to hook up the rear light. Yup, with it's new Earth it works fine.
Better just check the other lights -right indicator, yup. Left indicator ...nope.
They were fine last week. We haven't touched anything since. Now only one side works. We took the switch apart & there's no obvious problem.
The battery's very low cos we've been using it but the engine hasn't been run to charge it up, but surely that'd affect all the flashers, not just one side? Unless one circuit has more resistance than the other?
No idea.
Battery out -again -& brought home to re-charge. Hopefully that'll fix it. If not, setting fire to the damn thing's becoming an increasingly tempting answer. 

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2163 on: October 19, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »

Alternatively, you could use the type of indicators my 'Trumpet' uses, and they draw no current at all!! Grin Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2164 on: October 20, 2017, 09:15:05 AM »

Yeah, that's the final solution -throw them away. The bike's a 1980 model & indicators didn't become compulsory till '86, but I'm going to put it through the MSVA test at some point, so it'll need them then.

the coppersmith

« Reply #2165 on: October 20, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »

are they LED lamps? some need to wired one way only, just a thought  Wink
terry t

« Reply #2166 on: October 20, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »

You properly need to fit a diode or resister in the circuit. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2167 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »

Thankfully, a decent charge in the battery seems to have fixed it. Normal bulbs, though one bulb holder needs pinching up a bit -loose bulb. Didn't work until I tapped the indicator body.
So now we have fully working, properly earthed lights. Nathan, who wired the bike, had assumed everything would earth O.K to the powder coated frame & that the front end would earth back to the frame, but obviously hadn't realised the headstock bearings are packed in grease, which insulates the front end from everything else, (he's a car guy & hadn't worked on a bike before). Seperate earth wires have sorted it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2168 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2169 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »

I rescued the tank this afternoon from the guy who was going to TIG weld the new fuel tap mounts in for me. He's had it 3 months but been too busy to do it. So I called in to see my brother in Wiltshire & hopefully it'll be done next week. He also has a mate who's a paint sprayer who should be able to repaint the tank.
So no progress to show, but the promise of progress soon.

hornet6

« Reply #2170 on: October 20, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »

3 months  Shocked Shocked Shocked and not done ? Huh Huh

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2171 on: October 20, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »

Busy, busy guy. A fabricator like yourself, but currently doing architectural stuff for some posh apartments in London. My tank's probably more hassle than it's worth to him. Don't blame him at all.
My brother's equally talented & equally busy, but fortunately he feels obliged to help his stoopid brother out when he turns up with random stuff that needs fixing.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2172 on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »

Andy I've got a brother like you Grin I've worked out I've actually been building his Chop 17 years now (on and off) and he moans about the cost of it ?  Which comes to about £2500 ? No labour charges remember ? Roll Eyes
And I've just roughly calculated in that time he's spent over £60,000 ..YES you've read it correctly ..on FAGs ?? And recently we dropped off the bike to a buddy for some electrical work,3 months later he rang to say he can't do it ? So guess where it is now (again ) ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2173 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

Cheesy I haven't seen my brother for ages & genuinely try not to bother him with my stuff -partly cos he's always, always busy & I know he's postponing a paying job to help me out -& partly cos he does really high end fabrication & it's embarrassing to hand him my mangled bits of old cr*p & be met with a look of silent despair from him.  Tongue

paulywombats

« Reply #2174 on: October 23, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »

That's what know as brotherly love, surely?

Also think of your primal offerings as challenges for him. It's all a learning curve.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: