March 28, 2024, 10:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 544974 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2130 on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »

Repainted the rear light a few days ago after repairing a couple of scratches in it.
Checked it today. Yup, fine. Nice glossy black. One tiny spatter of spray paint though. It'll hardly show, but I'll just flat it back & blow another quick coat of aerosol paint over it.
Too cold in the garage. The paint bloomed, (went white & milky). Bugger.
Shake the can vigorously for 5 minutes to warm it up & try again.
Bloomed again and got a big run in it.
*Sigh* Stop now & walk away.
As I'm locking the door the sun comes out & starts to warm the garage, but I can't do anything till tomorrow when the paint's hardened enough to rub the run out.
I hate this bike, I really do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:56:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2131 on: October 11, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »

You are too bloody fussy!! behave yourself and MoT & ride the bloody thing Grin.. then put a tow hitch on the daily driver, buy a cheap single bike trailer, and next holiday time, put the two together and visit your many friends on MMM! come to Gower and I'll introduce you to some very pleasant local "rides" why don't you?...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2132 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:27 PM »

Cheesy Or set fire to it. One or the other.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2133 on: October 11, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »

Morrag's right, you're just making it more difficult for yourself - anyone would think you didn't WANT to ride the damn thing!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
mrhutch

« Reply #2134 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »

then swing by Herefordshire on the way back from the Gower and I'll show you how not to finish projects!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2135 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Cheesy It just bloody annoys me cos I know I can do better! Maybe that's just in my head though & in reality I am actually rubbish at this stuff.
I don't want to settle for good enough.
I hated my truck being half finished in bare metal & everyone referring to it as a RatRod cos that's not how I'd wanted it. Maybe it's because I don't want to build any more projects that these last 2 seem to be taking forever to get right. Like wading through treacle -I just don't seem to be getting anywhere.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2136 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »

One worthwhile observation I would make, and it applies to most projects. It is all too easy to fall into the temptation of "finishing" bits as you go, regarding paint, plating, or powder coating, etc.then , when mods. occur, and they always do! re-finishing, and all the aggravation that entails, is a certainty. Far better to build it, run it, even MoT it, and when fully sorted, take it apart and coat/paint it! one time only, obviously, the out of sight areas on 4 wheeled vehicles are fine to protect "en route", but for the rest, and I am only too aware of the temptation to giving in to "save returning to the scene of the crime!" syndrome, but it's the better way, honest....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2137 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »

Don't think I could face stripping either vehicle down again!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2138 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »

Slightly warmer day today, so I re-sprayed the rear light. Big run in it. Bugger. Drown the thing in paint & hope it flows out. Yeah, stupid, but seemed to work. Kept an eye on it for a while & it didn't seem to "bloom", but will be about a week before it's hardened off enough to rub over with cutting compound.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2139 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »

I keep looking at the engine cases. The engraver must've rubbed something into the background to make the raised areas stand out more -when he posts photos on FaceBook they always look really jet black. Mine seem to have faded though. Still look good, but I'd like a bit more contrast between the background & raised areas.
He wouldn't tell me what he used, but as he's an ex tattoo artist, I guessed at tattoo ink. So I tried printer ink, bought cheap on eBay & rubbed in with a cloth. Slightly darker, but not really  enough. Made a good job of staining my fingers black though. Don't really want to use anything as permanent as paint in case I mess it up. Any suggestions?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2140 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »

Rolled the bike outside while I was spraying. First time it's seen daylight for a while.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2141 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2142 on: October 12, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »

I've been waiting a couple of months for someone to TIG weld new fuel tap mounts into the tank for me, (one of the taps leaked & I can't find the same ones again, so am changing to a more readily available design).
The outlet's too big though. 10mm when I need 6. Anyone able to machine a pair of new brass spigots for me -for cash obviously. No idea how they're fitted -either pressed or screwed in.

the coppersmith

« Reply #2143 on: October 12, 2017, 01:44:20 PM »

Plumbing merchant Andy, microbore boss ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2144 on: October 12, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »

What does that mean in English? Remember it has to be fuel proof -& fool proof.

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: