April 23, 2024, 04:50:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The Manky crew on tour.  (Read 13393 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: April 05, 2006, 11:45:43 AM »

Right. Bike Show South West. 28th - 30th April '06, Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
The Manky mob will be there.
We've got 5 unfinished trike projects on the go here in Basingstoke, 4 Reliants & 1 GS850 Suzuki & we've entered them as a job lot. Caused a bit of head scratching with the organisers. They haven't had bare metal rolling chassis on show before so weren't sure what class to put us in. We're going as a sort of unofficial club stand. I faxed the entry forms off yesterday so now we've got about 3 weeks to get organised & do as much work as possible on each trike.
I've rented a 16 x 7 foot tilt-bed trailer & Flap's gonna tow it with his Landy. We've got a stand in the indoor trike hall 50 feet long by 12 feet deep, backing onto a wall with the front & one end accessible to the viewing public. Entry was free & we get 2 free passes for each vehicle, although we compromised on the bare frames & got 1 pass each for them. The trailer works out at about 15 quid each from the 5 of us for 4 days hire so won't cost any more than going to the show as normal punters. Not planning anything too flashy -just thought people might be interested to see some works in progress as well as shiny mega buck show bikes & it's an excuse for a weekend away. Simon & Nigel might camp over but Flap, Rainbow & I all have to work on Saturday mornings.
So any ideas on a theme for the stand? 50 feet sounds an awful big space to fill! They've allowed 10 feet for each vehicle's length but we reckon they'd look better angled at about 45 degrees. Would be nice to arrange them in order from basic rolling frame up to more or less complete trike. Critch, if you read this, any chance of coming up & pinching your bare frame for the weekend? We could sit it up off the ground on a display stand. Not much in the way of props -thought maybe just cut out some big spanner shapes from MDF, spray them up & scatter them around the part built vehicles. Will take the MSVA manual with us cos lots of prospective builders still haven't seen it, maybe knock up a stand for it so people can browse it. We've already got some laminated poster sized prints of the MMMotors logo to lay beside each frame -if they get photographed we'll get our name in the shots! Could do with printing out a modified version of the homepage, with the logo rather than me in the car to explain who we are. As we'll be backing onto a wall I thought perhaps we could have some artwork -the monkey evolving into a man thing, with an ape holding a bone morphing into a bloke with a spanner, or maybe a crouching monkey evolving into one riding a trike? Anyone able to Photoshop that? Where could we get large sized prints done from computer images? The guy who prints our shirts has a printer that'll do about 2 feet by 1 foot, which is what the logo posters were done on. I've checked with the organisers & we're allowed to sell shirts & mugs so I've ordered a couple of dozen black outline Ts, (tan shirts for fellas & red for girlies), & I've got 2 dozen mugs here already, (the Merchandise page will be up soon). Not planning it as a money making venture but it'd help to pad out the stand a bit & get the logo & site address seen. Would love to get the Jag seat/leather sofa finished & take it down to lounge on at the back of the stand while we're there, but don't think we can get back to Steve's workshop & finish it in time. Steve, feel free to do it if you get bored with the race car!
So any ideas people? Suggestions? Or just come along & say Hi over the weekend, gawp at the monkies & poke 'em with sticks. Bring cake with you.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
flap

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »

You suppose to be over Nigel's now finishing your frame  Huh

Did you know I won a Trophy and lost my Cartman hat.
Then I won another Trophy. I miss my hat.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »

Bugger, caught out again. I'm on my way right now. Honest.

lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 02:48:44 PM »

We called up and entered psycho in the show, so we will be there. Ive got 2 old wolfrace slotmags you could stack about the stand if ya wanted to fill some space? Or anything you saw around the unit!
Will be there on fri(I think!) to drop the trike off and will be back up on sunday.
See you there! Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:53:02 PM »

Well that's six trikes we've sorted for their show then. Any more & we'll be able to have our own show hall!
Steve suggested scattering trike components around the unfinished ones but I reckon we'd end up looking like an autojumble stall! I'd forgotten it's Simon & my weekend off, (not planned -very rare for it to work out the way you want it to like that). Flap's got the Friday off & Ska Man's taking Friday off too, so they can get the trailer loaded & we'll hopefully be on our way by 2 ish. Bank Holiday weekend so the road down to the West Country's bound to be packed. We'll look out for you on the way.
Let me know about that spare tank paintjob please mate.

wizzkitt

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 09:44:16 PM »

Well, they do have a large autojumble so if you get bored you could just hoike everything into the next hall and flog it all!  Grin I'll probably be down on Saturday.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »

It's not the biggest show in the World & it's definitely seen bigger attendances in years gone by, but I still tend to go most years. Only 70 miles away for us, straight down the A303. Both the green trike, (Highly Commended), & the red one have been on show there in the past, plus Steve's silver Reliant, (also Highly Commended). Just makes a pleasant afternoon out -a nice way to start the season. Found out this morning I've got an odd day's holiday due so will take the Friday off too. Just as well cos I'd forgotten I need to be on hand to fill in the paperwork for the trailer.
We'll take a weekend's supply of cake with us then Wizz!

wizzkitt

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:33:38 PM »

I seem to remember that's where I first spotted the red trike...

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:46:57 PM »

Aye, you mentioned it in AWOL I think. A few years ago now. Another show, another Mankymobile. Some things just don't change -not sure if that's good or profoundly depressing!

trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 08:17:54 AM »

Hi Mankey Matey, we are going down for the saturday. my trike is being reassembled but not sure if it will be ready for the show though. just had call from my "seatman" he has just finished my new riders seat. the wiring is going to be done this next week, the "tins" are away being painted and could be back this w/end. Hopefully it wont be too long before we are back on the road. take care, see you their Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 12:33:37 PM »

Hi Pete,
Not worked out who's going to be there on which days yet but I'll definitely be there on Sunday. I think your seat man is the same guy I plan to ask to cover the exposed foam & springs on my Jag sofa thingy. If I'm lucky I might just manage to get my frame powder coated in time for the show but it'll still be way off being finished. Who's doing your wiring for you?
Just spoken to the T shirt printer about getting another couple of poster sized prints of the website logo done. Turns out he's waiting for a new toy to arrive. A printer that'll do huge prints. Banner sized. Supposed to turn up within the next 10 days so if he sorts the software out in time we might have some sort of banner on the walll behind our little corner of the show. Any suggestions as to what should be on it?!!

yoda
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »

Good on ya mate go for it

should see ya down there, havnt decided on day yet

Yoda

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
critch

i love the smell of nitrous in the morning

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 04:04:50 PM »

andy if you wish to borrow the frame thats sound but its a hell of a lot of fuel money to pick it up and drop it off again its not had any more work done as im scrabbling around finishing three bikes and my newly aquired landy...... Roll Eyes

tooooooo many projects
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 04:15:47 PM »

Yeah, tell me about it! Thanks Critch. Will be in touch. Rainbow's just passed her test & bought a little diesel Corsa. The frame would probably fit in the back with the seats down.
Yodie, any ideas for artwork?

yoda
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 04:45:27 PM »

could probably do something with the inmage of the car from DS but would need it to be very high ris and with flat lighting

the evoloution thing may have been possible (ish) if i had a very high res image but again i aint, and am not very good a freehand drawing mate

Yoda

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: