April 20, 2024, 03:50:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1545033 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2008, 02:08:32 PM »

The German helmet makes the piercing in his nose look like a Hitler moustache!
Yup, that's the Beezer. A little Bantam. Not sure what size but it don't matter cos it's buggered.
He & PD can't decide what to do with it. PD's also got a modern trailie which they blat up & down the yard on -hence the helmet.
The bottoms of my Pop doors consist almost entirely of filler & fibreglass so the repair panels will give us 6 inches of fresh steel in there.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »

Woo hoo! My new chassis' almost done!
I know it doesn't look much but this is the skeleton on which the whole car will hang, so it's a pretty big deal really. We haven't got the facilities, or the floor space, to build this ourselves & get it totally flat & square. Cost 500 quid, which everyone tells me is a good price. I'm happy.
This is the back end.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:27:51 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »

Very impressive!

What's the reason for one side being longer than the other?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2008, 10:37:38 PM »

The ends of the frame legs need cutting off to length & there's a spring perch to be added to the front & that's about it. The rest is down to us.
The engine will sit between the front kicked up rails, with the mounts bolted to the inside edge of the rail, rather than sitting on top of it.
The front kick up will start just inside the footwell of the cab & the back will do the same so that the rear rails come out about halfway up the back of the cab body.
There's a 12 inch kick up at the rear of the chassis & a bit less at the front, meaning the body should sit about 6 inches off the deck. This isn't the full width of the car. The chassis runs straight down the centre of the vehicle, tapering out slightly towards the back -we'll weld on outriggers to bolt the outer edges of the bodywork to. Tomorrow I'm heading back to Valley Gas Speed Shop to pay the bill, then one of their employees, Richard, who lives in Basingstoke, will deliver it for me on his way home from work in his Transit van.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:11:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #499 on: March 12, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »

Valley Gas is run by Jimmy & his good lady Elle. They're building her a replica '27 track T, (a fibreglass bodied 2 seater roadster). The chassis rails are built from channel that's been specially laser cut with Maltese crosses down it's entire length.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #500 on: March 12, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

Lovely looking mark 4 Zephyr starting to take shape in the workshop. The guys are rushing to get 2 customers' cars ready for WheelsDay in 2 week's time.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #501 on: March 12, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »

I'll have one of these please. Don't bother wrapping it, I'll take it with me now. Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #502 on: March 12, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »

Another Dodge Charger. Common as muck ain't they!  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #503 on: March 12, 2008, 10:55:04 PM »

panthershaun

« Reply #504 on: March 12, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »

meaning the body should sit about 6 inches off the deck.
And I thought you were going low Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Kiss

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
tazet
« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:37 PM »

Well we all know what a blokes 6 inches is compared to a womans  Tongue
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #506 on: March 18, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »

Right. The shiny new chassis was safely delivered to Lunatic's secret country lair, free of charge, thanks to Richard of Valley Gas & his trusty rusty Tranny van. Thanks mate. Unfortunately Loony's workshop was full so it had to sit out in the rain. I'll slap a temporary coat of red oxide on it all to keep the rust bugs at bay -it'll be shot-blasted off before the final powder-coat's applied.
So we had a bit of a measure up.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #507 on: March 18, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »

Richard just happens to have a Pop front axle that's been converted from having the spring mounted across the front of the beam, to being mounted directly over it. That shortens the front of the chassis set-up & means we can shoe-horn it all inside the original Pop body panels.
So we nicked it for a while.
When we came up with the chassis dimensions a lot of it was guesswork -we won't really know what we need till we start putting things together. The ride height's supposed to be around 6 inches to the underside of the rails but here it sits at more like 10.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:31:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #508 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »

Valley Gas tack-welded a spring perch on the front cross member for us, but we suspected it'd need moving so it wasn't fully welded. We weren't sure how much the spring would compress with the weight of a V8 Rover motor on it. No problem. Lunatic's got one of his own sat in the corner of the workshop.
So we nicked it for a while.
Maybe the mounts need a little work.  Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #509 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:28 PM »

Didn't make as much difference as we'd thought. The ride height dropped by around an inch. O.K, we'll lift the spring mount then, which'll drop the chassis. Sorted. Jimmy at Valley Gas set the perch at around 4 degrees, which is necessary for proper suspension movement. We're thinking maybe cut the cross member & Z it -lift it by the depth of the tube, so the bottom edge is level with the top edge of the chassis, then fill in the sides with angled tube pieces. Does that make sense? Anyway, that'll raise the spring mount by 80mm, (just over 3 inches), & drop the chassis by the same amount. Using a spring with the mounting eyes curling upwards instead of downwards, ("reversed eye"), will add another inch & bring us down to the 6 inch ride height we're after.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:46:00 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: