April 29, 2024, 04:36:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1551231 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #510 on: March 18, 2008, 09:59:58 PM »

Onto the back end then.
We're using a Sherpa axle, a favourite with rod & race car builders. They're strong enough to take the 3 & a 1/2 litre Rover power & come in several ratios. Sherpa actually fitted some of their vans with Rover V8 motors. The back end's easier to drop. Suspension will be courtesy of a pair of coil over shocks, mounted from a cross member above the axle, with sideways & fore & aft movement controlled by triangulated 4 bar linkages. One of the simplest systems to build & set up properly.
The finished wheelbase will be 115 inches.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #511 on: March 18, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

We scribbled a shopping list & trundled back to Valley Gas Speed Shop.
Jimmy & the guys, (& the lovely Elle of course), are genuinely helpful & happy to sit with a pair of ammateurs like Loony & I, (we're first time hotrod builders), & go through the various options with us.
We came home with the box section tubing for the rear shock mounting cross member, as well as the gearbox mounting cross member, as well as a big pile of assorted ready-made brackets. At about 3 quid each, simple tab mounts are hardly worth the trouble of making ourselves. Jimmy even threw in a pair of 4 bar mounts they'd just cut off a new model A chassis for free. Top chap.
We also ordered a complete new front leaf spring after we found one in his suppliers catalogue of exactly the size we needed. 50 quid. Also on the list was a pair of new spring shackles, bushes & mounting bolts. Should be here in a week or so.

lunatic

« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

Mr Manky came over this afternoon and cut all the lugs off the sherpa back axle, then ground them flush. Thats it really!
VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #513 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43:28 PM »

sorta sat down on the job again then Smiley

More metal than skin
panthershaun

« Reply #514 on: March 21, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »

Hotrod's Hotrod's I chuffing love Hotrod's  Grin Grin Grin forget the trike mankey lets have a race to build a modified Grin Grin Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
panthershaun

« Reply #515 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »

Richard just happens to have a Pop front axle that's been converted from having the spring mounted across the front of the beam, to being mounted directly over it.

Got to ask, what wheels are they on the front mate?? Huh Tongue Kiss

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #516 on: March 21, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »

Not sure -Wolsley maybe. I'll check with Richard. Marina hubs.
I've got 2 trikes & a Pop to build & getting nowhere with any of 'em! You think I need another project! Tongue

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #517 on: March 21, 2008, 10:56:11 PM »

They say it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive................

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #518 on: April 01, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »

Loony & I took another trip to Valley Gas Speed Shop in Newbury, Berks this afternoon & picked up the components for the Pop suspension. No I'm not going to tell you how much this lot cost. A very small box of bits with a very large price tag. Loony & I bet each other how much it'd cost on the way there. Unfortunately I won.
The original, very optimistic budget for this build was around the thousand quid mark for a motor built on the original chassis with Ford Consul power. That's now been upgraded to about 3 grand for basically a brand new car, on a new tailor made chassis, with V8 Rover power. To put it in prospective, that's still half the cost of my second hand Fiesta.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:35:25 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #519 on: April 01, 2008, 10:26:34 PM »

Brand new front transverse leaf spring with reversed mounting eyes, new spring shackles & hangers, with new bottom shock absorber mounts.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #520 on: April 01, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »

Lovely shiny new Gaz adjustable coil-over shocks with 160 pound springs. Plus enough tube for the triangulated 4 bar linkage with threaded weld-in bosses & rose joints & spacers for front & rear linkages.
A complete suspension set-up.

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #521 on: April 02, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »

Nice

More metal than skin
panthershaun

« Reply #522 on: April 02, 2008, 05:27:46 AM »

very, very nice Grin Grin do those new spring mounts put the spring over the axle then Manky??

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #523 on: April 02, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »

Yeah. We borrowed a similar set-up from Richard, one of the Valley Gas guys, to measure up for the chassis. It brings the front spring back by 3 or 4 inches & means we can keep everything tucked inside the original Pop bodywork, even though we're running the V8 instead of the little Ford sidevalve. The other option would've been to mount the spring perch through the front of the radiator grille as a lot of the American rat rods do, but I didn't want to break the line of that long Pop nose cos I think that's it's defining shape -one of the features that make it instantly recognisable as a Pop.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:44:02 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

brock

« Reply #524 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

To put it in prospective, that's still half the cost of my second hand Fiesta.

prospective ?

Huh

Wink
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: