April 25, 2024, 09:43:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 238481 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:46 PM »

Dave, that trike of yours is a classic example of less being more! Grin, absolutely ace, really, and the others I would couple with it in that bracket would be any or Mr. M's past trikes,....just sayin'....

Beware the Ides of March, But!
JayJay

« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »

Angry JJ you have got a trike that is reliable, that is until you let the water run low in the rad Huh

Umm let me see. My trike kept breaking down, something to do with electrics. Then the brakes failed on the way back from Basingstoke after the bumpy ride broke the copper pipe allowing the brake fluid to run out (I changed it to braided hose after that). You remember me overtaking you at that junction because I couldn't stop on a blind bend!   Shocked

Even though I carried bottles of water with me and had an overflow receptacle attached, the radiator always overheated. I have a very nice fan sitting in a box to be added to the trike (not something I can do) and a nicely reengineered head in my garage that I could put back on but I'm just physically unable to.

So no, I don't think I ever had a reliable trike in the way Olds has. So there.   Tongue  Kiss

I would love to have my trike back on the road because even with the above problems, I enjoyed riding it even if the first time I drove it up my drive, I took out my dustbin because I forgot I was on 3 wheels and not 2!  Grin

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2018, 08:24:15 PM »

Thank you Morrag. Kind words indeed.  Embarrassed
I never wanted it to be an obvious custom and it doesn't grab attention from Joe public like those covered in flash paint / chrome or even those dubious, angle iron and checker plate things, but I'm happy with that.  Smiley

As to reliable. It's not been faultless. In the first year I had... engine problems (someone had thrown it together), a set of points that wore out after only 100 miles, a broken gear linkage (rode home in second) and a broken mudguard stay, disintegrating switch gear, plus a few little teething problems.
 All of which I can only blame myself for as I'm the only person that has ever worked on it. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:31:47 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
terry t

« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »

Angry JJ you have got a trike that is reliable, that is until you let the water run low in the rad Huh

Umm let me see. My trike kept breaking down, something to do with electrics. Then the brakes failed on the way back from Basingstoke after the bumpy ride broke the copper pipe allowing the brake fluid to run out (I changed it to braided hose after that). You remember me overtaking you at that junction because I couldn't stop on a blind bend!   Shocked

Even though I carried bottles of water with me and had an overflow receptacle attached, the radiator always overheated. I have a very nice fan sitting in a box to be added to the trike (not something I can do) and a nicely reengineered head in my garage that I could put back on but I'm just physically unable to.

So no, I don't think I ever had a reliable trike in the way Olds has. So there.   Tongue  Kiss

I would love to have my trike back on the road because even with the above problems, I enjoyed riding it even if the first time I drove it up my drive, I took out my dustbin because I forgot I was on 3 wheels and not 2!  Grin

Just a few little teething problems as Dave would say JJ xx
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »

Well Dave I think you underestimate your Trike..it certainly does stand out and in fact I know a few people who wish to build similar ? JJ I envy you and others because as yet I've never ridden a trike enough to find out it's problems? But working on mine with that Aim.. Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2018, 03:27:02 PM »

Thanks stinkey.

Seeing the heat shield Andy is making, reminded me that i have burnt two pairs of shoes (well actually one pair, cos they're both left foot) on the trike.
Unfortunately where I need a shield is right on the bend. So, lots of hammering of sheet stainless steel ensued. Damn I hate working stainless. Not totally ripple free but good enough. Hidden tabs on the back take jubilee clips. Need to buy a pair of nice stainless ones, but for the pic it's held on by some really nasty Halfrauds ones that I wouldn't dare use on a hose.
Sorry stinkey. No holes or slots.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:13:56 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »

What size is the pipe Dave? I've just taken 2, 1 5/8" stainless ones off.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2018, 06:52:56 PM »

1 3/8" but thanks.

Olds

« Reply #683 on: July 14, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »

Trike is starting to show it's age with chips in the paint, etc. It's used and abused, cleaned once a year and to be honest that's fine with me, but the seat definitely needed some TLC. While I quite liked the tan colour it always seemed somewhat at odds with the colour scheme. So after re staining/polish, the leather is more of a worn black/brown colour and I love it.
Only one problem, now I have to do something about the rear tank straps. Will check if I have any of the harness leather left over from bonnet straps I made. If not, the ones fitted will get the same treatment as the seat.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:28:20 AM by Olds » Logged

paulywombats

« Reply #684 on: July 14, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »

Hi Dave

Seat looks fantastic. For me personally I like it in black against the colour scheme.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #685 on: July 14, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »

Never been a brown saddle guy myself. What stain did you use Dave?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
paulywombats

« Reply #686 on: July 14, 2018, 01:09:38 PM »

Think it was a black one Andy. Grin

I'll get me coat.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Olds

« Reply #687 on: July 14, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »

Think it was a black one Andy. Grin
Grin
My own mix. Roughly 70% black 15% dark brown, shoe polish, 10% raw linseed oil 5% dubbin. Boiled up then several coats, applied warm and soaked into the leather using a propane torch.
You can buy leather stains but they tend to give a very uniform solid colour, which isn't what I was after.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:41:45 PM by Olds » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #688 on: July 15, 2018, 07:16:00 AM »

Oh s**t..you shouldn't have mentioned the propane torch..Andy may get ideas, and ya know what's likely to happen ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #689 on: August 08, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »

Grin
Got around to dying the tank straps to match the new seat colour and made a couple of polished stainless thumb nuts, for the electrics box cover, to replace wing nuts.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48
  Print  

Jump to: