April 27, 2024, 09:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE  (Read 30637 times)
fifer

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

Nah , pull it out , clean hole out , fit new core plug , bash it with a hammer  Grin Grin Grin

Originally posted by fifer ;
The core plug is round but is not flat to start with .
It is dished outwards { bulges outwards } and is a neat fit into the recess in the head .
The hole needs to be thoroughly cleaned out before attempting to insert the core plug .
When it is inserted into the hole in the head and hammered in the centre of the dished out part it spreads to touch the side and forces against it to seal .
The maximum sealing point would be when it was flat
Lots of folk go too far and hammer it too much thinking that the more they hammer it the tighter it will get . Unfortunately it has the reverse effect because the core plug becomes dished inwards with the result it pulls it away from the side . Sad  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:52:52 PM by fifer » Logged

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
skates

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

cool. is it normal for the to leak. mine look bloody old

if at first you don't succeed. hit the fecker with a hammer
fifer

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2012, 10:34:27 PM »

They are prone to rusting if not coated .
Depending on access on your trike it is easily replaced insitu .
Have a look at yours and see if it is bashed inwards rather than being flat { ish }
If it is still sticking out a little bit you might just be able to give it a gentle bash in the middle and if lucky it might seal  Smiley
To take the old one out there are a couple of old school methods .
Drain the coolant .
Make a wee hole in the centre then Bash a long very sturdy screwdriver through and lever off { taking care not to score the sides by putting the screwdriver through too far }.
Make a wee hole in the centre then insert a large self tapper screw and grip it with pliers and bash the pliers outwards with the hammer 
Most important part is making sure that the head casting where the plug sits into is thoroughly clean and has no score in the metal leading from the inside to the outside .
On refitting , a TINY amount of Blue sealant can be used around the head lip if required or a Bars seal pellet put in the water .

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »

Mine blew on my first Reliant trike. Suddenly I was enveloped in steam & couldn't see where I was going!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
fifer

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »

Free Sauna  Grin Grin Grin

one arm bandit

« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »

Heres how mine sits,it is adjusted and running correctly.just gone out there to take this pic,hope it helps mate

just fitted the kit going to try her see if she'l start im gonna position it just like this, Grin
one arm bandit

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »

rod i cud bloody kiss you , tied the choke up so i didnt have to hold it positioned my dizzy as your pic jump lead from bat to starter(got the cables but not doing it untill tomorrow) struck the starter with ye old screwdriver and fired up within 2 seconds sound beautyful Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
RODeo

« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss glad it worked mate!
one arm bandit

« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »

it must be where the dizzy needs to be set to its far to covenient for me to look at your pic and mine start first turn, i even gave her a little tickle and she happily reved without a cough or splutter, i havent had her run properly like that since i brought the car last feb with blown head and i wasnt expecting it to be so responsive and rev so freely. going to get the thermo to rad water pipe in the morning so i can run it up for a bit,then my daughter can have her fuel tank back for her mini quad Grin it was just to handy to hook on the bars.   hows you engine coming along rod,i dont mean to rub salt in the wound as so to speak  Undecided
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »

Congratulations!

RODeo

« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2012, 09:44:04 PM »

Engine done,picking up tomorrow! Cool
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »

Then congratulations to you too!

fifer

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »

Brilliant news , Rod  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: