April 28, 2024, 11:47:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE  (Read 30640 times)
fifer

« on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »

I have seen a couple of post relating to lads and lassies wanting to convert from points to electronic ignition .
Perhaps the following link to an article I did a wee while ago might be helpful

https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/electronic-conversions/how-to-fit-a-simonbbc-electronic-kit

Following info added on 19 January 2012

Unless you are very lucky , due to the new positions of the electronic pickups in relation to the distributor cam , when the Simonbbc electronic doodahs are fitted you will need to slacken off the side distributor clamp and rotate the distributor body by hand till it fires . You might have to move it a fair wee bit

I would recommend that you set up the engine in the best position with the original points in place before fitting the electronic doodahs .

{ 1 } Set the engine statically at the 10 degrees Before Top Dead Centre mark on the fan belt pulley with the rotor arm pointing at number 1 cylinder { the one at the front of the engine }.

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/R3W/timing-1.jpg
ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/R3W/timing-1.jpg
{ 2 }   Switch the Ignition OFF

{ 3 }   Remove distributor
{ 4 }   Clean Distributor body including clamp { If required }
{ 5 }   Mark a line across the Distributor body and the clamp with tippex / paint / scribe so that if you want to revert back to points you will know where the original setting was  

{ 6 }   Fit the new electronic parts as per
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/electronic-conversions/how-to-fit-a-simonbbc-electronic-kit

{ 7 }   Slacken off the side clamp pinch bolt

{ 8 }   Fit the distributor back into the engine
{ 9 }   Rotate the distributor body till the bolt hole in the engine clamp slot is midway { This is so that you can still get a bit of movement to re-adjust the timing in the future }
{ 10 } Fit the bolt , spring washer and washer and tighten                    

{ 11 } Wire up as per  instructions below

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/R3W/DISTRIBUTOR/1ELECTRONICKITFROMSIMONBBCpriort-2-1.jpg
ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/R3W/DISTRIBUTOR/1ELECTRONICKITFROMSIMONBBCpriort-2-1.jpg

Remember and insulate joins on both wires to stop shorting against the distributor body .

{ 12 } Turn the distributor body around by hand and align the marks you previously made { the body should be slack enough to turn but not too slack } . If too slack just tighten up the side clamp bolt a wee bit till you can turn it smoothly without a jerky motion .
{ 13 } Try to start the engine while holding the distributor body in place to stop it from moving . If it starts you are a lucky Bugg*r and you can go to { 20 }

{ 14 } If it does not start
{ 15 } Stop trying to start the engine .
{ 16 } Turn the distributor clockwise roughly about 1/4 inch { 6mm or so }
{ 17 } Try to start the engine while holding the distributor body in place to stop it from moving ..
{ 18 } If it starts and runs just stop the engine

{ 19 } If it does not start just keep VERY slowly rotating the distributor body till it fires and runs then
{ 20 } Stop the engine

{ 21 } Put a temporary mark on the distributor and clamp
{ 22 } Tighten up the side clamp pinch bolt

{ 23 } Start the engine and get up to working temperature
{ 24 } Stop the engine

{ 25 } Slacken off the pinch bolt enough to be able to rotate the distributor smoothly .
{ 26 } Holding the distributor body , start the engine and VERY slowly turn the distributor body clockwise to try and get the fastest tickover .
If it cuts out just rotate it back to the Original good mark and try again .
{ 27 } When you have reached what you think is the best point then just

{ 28 } Stop the engine
{ 29 } Tighten up the side clamp pinch bolt
{ 30 } Mark a line across the Distributor body and the clamp with tippex / paint / scribe so that if you will know where the setting was .

{ 31 } Set the Timing { if required } by strobe
{ 32 } In the future all you have to do is leave the side pinch bolt alone and slacken off the clamp plate to engine bolt to get adjustment either way  Smiley
I wrote this early in the morning just from memory { and that is bad } so if I have made a wee mistake here and there please feel free to chastise me and I will go and give myself a darn good thrashing   Grin Grin

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:14:17 PM by fifer » Logged

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »

Useful!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
RODeo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »

Interesting stuff! Gonna order one of them tomorrow!
RODeo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »

Ordered and on its way,including new coil,cos I cant be messing around with the old one!
fifer

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

That,s the way to do it  Grin Grin Grin

skates

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »

got my ignition kit and im now off to the garage to fit it. wish me luck  Grin

if at first you don't succeed. hit the fecker with a hammer
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »

Smiley Have fun!

skates

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

well got the new stuff on. but she didnt want to start and i got pissed off. soooooooo will get the gun on her on sat and sort it out

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »

You didn't really think it'd work first time did you?!  Cheesy

skates

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

i can dream bro

hunter

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »

Sounds more like a nightmare. Cheesy

I
skates

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »

naaaaaaaa. i'll get the gun on her sat. any tips?

spanners

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »

naaaaaaaa. i'll get the gun on her sat. any tips?

BIG GUN,,,,,,,,,==HOWITZER,,,                                 or dynamite,,,, Grin Grin

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
fifer

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »

First slacken off the bolt holding the distributor clamp to the engine and rotate the body till the slot is midway { This is so that you can still get a bit of movement to re-adjust the timing after it starts . }

After fitting the electronic doodahs , due to the new position of the doodahs to the distributor cam , it is often necessary to slacken off the side bolt clamp on the distributor .

Rotate the distributor by hand a bit at a time until it starts .
Switch off .
Tighten up the side bolt and try starting it again .
If it starts you can tippex a wee mark on the distributor body and the clamp plate ; That will be your reference point till after you set the timing up as per normal with the strobe .
Personally I would do away with the strobe and just set it up by ear and you can then strobe it if you so wish and note the new position { Might be 5 degrees or 12 degrees or any other setting because each engine is different .

If I get time over the next couple of weeks I will do a step by step and add it to the post  .

Got TIME  Grin Grin

See altered First post above 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:12:43 PM by fifer » Logged

RODeo

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

Just fitted mine using the pickup 'ring' under the rotor arm as opposed to the 'all in one' type. The all in one type wouldnt allow the dist. cap to seat right down.Wouldnt start! Giving the battery a good charge ,then going to check all connections,continuity etc adjust the dist. a bit more tamara morning....excited now!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: