April 27, 2024, 10:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: ELECTRONIC IGNITION ; A HOW TO CONVERT GUIDE  (Read 30638 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »

Y'know there's a lot to be said for the simple spring actuated points set!!!!! along with the very cheap and cheerfull spare set you keep in your top pocket, just in case! cost, very little, availability, excellent, "get you home" context, priceless......

Beware the Ides of March, But!
RODeo

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:55:13 AM »

Yep thats the way Im feeling at the moment! Grin
 So ,Ive got a spark at the leads,Checked everything twice and Ive followed all the tips Fifer gave,and still it wont start! B*****ks! Just had a quick re read of fifers tips,yep Ive done everything! Ive turned the dizzy so far in each direction the leads are pulled tight (very short leads I admit!)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:58:26 AM by RODeo » Logged
fifer

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:17 AM »

Originally posted by morrag ;
Y'know there's a lot to be said for the simple spring actuated points set!!!!! along with the very cheap and cheerfull spare set you keep in your top pocket, just in case! cost, very little, availability, excellent, "get you home" context, priceless......
Totally agree  Grin Grin Grin
I had fitted a complete new electronic distributor a couple of years ago and used it for a couple of weeks then took it out and stuck the original points coil setup back in .
I just had no feeling of security with it fitted { Irrational , I know as  most are maintenance free }
I also missed doing the couple of minutes job of resetting the points and setting the timing by ear { Got horribly chewed up ears now , but worth it }.

I do a lot of travelling through the Scottish highlands and then go off the beaten track where there is no mobile phone signal and , as I have my disabled wife with me I carry a complete spare distributor set up ready to drop in complete with new cap / leads , new coil , lengths of wire , spare carb , length of petrol hose , length of water hose and spare antifreeze as well as tools .

I know that all I need is a spare set of points but , with my arthritic fingers at the side of a mountain on a bitter cold winters day , I find it easier to just remove the one bolt  , one wire , one vacuum pipe and drop the replacement distributor in .  Smiley 

Most work I do on other Reliants is fitting new points , setting the gap and re-timing .
For the folk with no mechanical knowledge whose motors I work on I would always recommend fitting the electronic ignition .
I can see the HUGE advantage of fitting the electronic system BUT For me points rule  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
RODeo

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »

SORTED!!!Now running ok! Im happy now Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
 Ah! ,theres a lot to be said for carrying spares the 'old fashioned' way!Always have done.But after my points breakdown last weekend,and bearing in mind it was the first time EVER having broken down on a bike/trike I realised how standing around in the cold waiting for assistance is a real pain on a bike,and not for me!So I decided to try to eliminate the problem!First time ever using my AA card as well!
  Always in the back of your mind they will fail,in a way I felt like that when I did my A35 elec ign! But it never let me down! Still going to carry a set of points and a condensor as a spare though!
 Ive already also found that I really need a 'top box ' on the rack ,even tho' it may look crap,cos I want to carry my junk(spares).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:18:46 AM by RODeo » Logged
fifer

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »

Originally posted by RODeo  ;
SORTED!!!Now running ok! Im happy now  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Great news ; I hope you now have many thousands of miles of trouble free riding  Smiley Smiley
PS ;
Did you do anything extra outside of what I had written OR found anything wrong with my How to ?
I can add it to the original post if you feel that it needs it  Smiley

RODeo

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »

Explanation fine mate,very comprehensive! Cool Although I did find that the screw that originally holds the condensor needed to be about 3mm longer to accomodate the thickness of the sensor base plate. The orig screw did fit and work,but didnt feel right when tightened down tight. Found a spare longer bolt same thread and cut it down to suit,worth the time and effort to sort this in my opinion.The other screw( that is the points adjuster screw) seemed ok for length.My condensor screw looked like orig equipment (worn cross head) ,but the other could have been changed at some time.
skates

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »

well iv just spent 3 hours trying to get her started. no luck. iv checked it all over did what u said having problems turniong the roter as the ht caps are in the way

if at first you don't succeed. hit the fecker with a hammer
fifer

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 02:02:35 PM »

Originally posted by skates ;
well iv just spent 3 hours trying to get her started. no luck. iv checked it all over did what u said having problems turniong the roter as the ht caps are in the way
Do you mean that with the new rotor cap fitted that the distributor cap will not sit down { meaning that the rotor arm is not seating down far enough }

Worth checking that it is not the same fault as RODeo in his previous post ?

Originally posted by RODeo ;
Just fitted mine using the pickup 'ring' under the rotor arm as opposed to the 'all in one' type. The all in one type wouldnt allow the dist. cap to seat right down.Wouldnt start! Giving the battery a good charge ,then going to check all connections,continuity etc adjust the dist. a bit more tamara morning....excited now!!

skates

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »

its all sitting down fine. my plug caps are stopping me from turning the roter around alot. do i need to fit the pickup ring as well or just the roter arm

fifer

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

I think I understand now .  Smiley
Do you mean that the distributor body is butting against number 2 cylinder plug HT lead ?
Is the end of the HT lead a straight one ?
You should have less problem with the 90 degree angled lead to the plug .

skates

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

they are all 90 degree but the body keeps hitting them

terry t

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »

stick a photo on so we can see  Huh
skates

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »

will do when i work out how to that

terry t

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

will do when i work out how to that
OK.  have you done it the way it shows here  https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintsandtips/electronic-conversions/how-to-fit-a-simonbbc-electronic-kit
skates

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

yep. done it as it says, iv rang my mate who tried to fit one and had so much trouble he bined it and went bavk to points

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: