March 28, 2024, 09:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 237206 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »

Techy question -that'll be one for Mr Bags then!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
saddlebags

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 07:53:02 PM »

Hi dynatrike,cutting out the center with a router sounds scary to me but if you did manage it i suppose it wouldn't be impossible to make some kind of jig to locate off the center hole and correctly pitch the other holes,but the best solution would be to contact your friendly engineer and commision him to machine them for you,failing that you could always pm me .
brock

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 11:25:51 PM »

the router is a truly wonderful tool and ,in the right hands ,capable of most things. I frequently trim aluminium and not so often steel (but never on purpose) the question is really "is it worth it", a wan**y trade TC cutter is going to cost at least £25 and last next to no time , a reasonable pro PCD cutter for the job will go about £140 and then you want a machine capable of turning it. If you settled for one of the softer ali's I'm sure that with some careful template making this could be done, it would never approach the accuracy of CNC machining but in this case it probably isn't needed and anyone with reasonable sight and a steady hand could set it out adequately. If you do go this route remember that most routers capable of doing what you want will be turning the tool at better than 35000 rpm and if you let it get away from you it will hunt you down without mercy, happy routing
harley gazz

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »

hmm i just thought the inside diameter which is only a couple of mill depth could be routed out and a hole saw one o them circular thingies ya puts on a drill to whip out the centre hole,so it may come after me with a vengance  Shocked so i best wear me crash hat and gloves if i ever attempt it , ::)orrr get wife to have the trial run??  on second thoughts my wife and electrical tools do not mix to well Grin Grin nevermind just a stupid idea i had Wink

arc eye tha noo
klogan45

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »

Hi Dynatrike, you could cut the hole with a router, seen it done throught 1'' ali no problem but you need a jig and a bloody good router bit TCT I believe. Be very very careful and use the safety specs just in case. Make sure that the piece is really well clamped down too.

UPDATE
 I've just read Brocks reply, Duh or what, did'nt realise that the cutters were quite so expensive Shocked, never thought to ask the bloke that I saw doing the cutting Embarrassed I'd listen to Brock if I were you
Regards
K
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:26:13 PM by klogan45 » Logged

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
peanut

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 10:44:35 PM »

My Rialto 2 axle has 3-stud backplate fixing. The picture of the Kitten axle in my Haynes manual also has three studs.
Incidentally, I just had the hubs pressed off the axles with a big hydraulic thing that bent both my hubs. Anybody got a spare pair on scrap shafts?
I have looked at the brakes and wonder if the twin-leading shoe mini front backplates would fit? I could then mount a pair of those gorgeous aluminium minifin brake-drums I saw last week in the Huddersfield Mini Centre and have slightly better than standard brakes.
Ziggy

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 08:29:04 PM »

Did anyone buy that spare pair Andy ?

Real class they are.... Cool Cool

tazet
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 08:37:27 PM »

Manky boss says you can have one of his spare pairs for £30 plus postage, (whatever that will be). The last spare set is mine.  Grin
Ziggy

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »

Manky boss says you can have one of his spare pairs for £30 plus postage, (whatever that will be). The last spare set is mine.  Grin

The only thing I need to know is: Are they a guaranteed fit ?

If so, P.M. me your details inc postage, and I'll bang a postal order off to you. Wink Cool

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »

They definitely fit on the axle -I know cos I've got a set on mine, but Saddlebags has got my caliper mounts at the moment. Our adaptor plates bolt to the axle, then the VW Golf caliper carriers bolt to them, then the calipers bolt to the carriers. SaddleBags made the adaptor plates so yes, they should be a perfect fit, but I'll check with him to make sure then PM you.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
saddlebags

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »

If i made them theres no question of their perfectnous. Grin
Ziggy

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »

Bad news I'm afraid Cry

While buggering about with my trike today, I realised it has custom hub adapters fitted, which need the drum to sit on, so I'm screwed, as I love the slots and don't want to change them.
I've added a pic of me trike, you'll see the stud pattern there, that's why it's not the normal PCD.

I'm gutted to say the least, as this is one modification I've wanted to do for quite some time. Cry Cry

saddlebags

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 07:52:34 PM »

That trike looks fantastic Ziggy really like it,if you change your mind in the future about a disc conversion i may be able to help you with all the machined parts,are you sure a special plate cant be made to replace your drums?
Ziggy

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 09:58:51 AM »

if you change your mind in the future about a disc conversion i may be able to help you with all the machined parts,are you sure a special plate cant be made to replace your drums?

To be honest I don't know, if I were to remove the drum and then try to replace the adapter, most of it would sit outside the hub. Fitting a plate may be an idea though, but the best thing I can do is, the next time I'm down the garage I'll take some pics with the wheel off, so you can see for yourself, perhaps you can help from there.

As your a man that knows summit about machined alloy, you may be able to help me with another problem I have, I've got two nice slabs of billet alloy that I'd really love to have made into a nice set of yokes for me trike, but everywhere I've tried thus far, I've drawn a blank, mind you, where I live that's not hard, coz even the simplest of things have to go away to be done.
I've never done this before, so I could do with all the advice I can get.

The two slabs are:

Length: 505mm

Width: 170mm

Depth: 30mm

They are aircraft grade if that means owt to you, coz it don't with me..lol

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »

Trike's looking sweet Ziggy, I'm still trying to get TP back on the road, engine is almost ready to go back in the frame, as for yokes I know there is a program on the works CNC will try to find out what size the yokes would be.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: