March 29, 2024, 10:49:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 237285 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »

Haven't done yet, but I'll go see Mr SaddleBags in the next few days. It'll be literally a couple of months before he can do them though.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tbone

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2008, 09:55:46 PM »

CAD file is now available for the plates here..
And a huge thanks to Valleysboy who is also hosting it so that it can be downloaded direct from him. Thank you Gareth.
(The picture here will not print 1 to 1 scale but the CAD file does, its for viewing only.)
For those that dont know....
download the file
Right click on it and select `extract here` or to your chosen folder
double click the new icon that appears, the file can then be viewed and printed.
To print....
select the print icon on the top toolbar
a new box opens, bottom left, select Active sheet AND to scale (1 to 1).
select ok
file will now print in black and white to scale.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:04:55 AM by tbone » Logged

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
kustom
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »

manky monkey might host it for you if you ask
tbone

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »

manky monkey might host it for you if you ask
Cannot do it yet, to retain a scale print it has to stay as a CAD file, it can be converted to other image types but looses the scale, hence the .jpg wont print correctly

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »

here yuhs go ....

CALIPER DIA

More metal than skin
tazet
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2008, 07:30:51 AM »

Thanks tbone and Valleysboy. We do not have CAD on our computers so it's not something that we can do.
tazet
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »

This is what the end product should look like
tbone

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

This is what the end product should look like
Well nearly, the pic Tazet posted is of the MK2 version. These are made from 10mm aluminuim with a 3mm recess machined over the mounting holes and have a different profile were the caliper carrier bolts on. My CAD drawing is for the original brackets, made from 1/4" flat steel plate. Size wise, they are the same so would be able to use on either material but you`d have to mark the recess yourselves if going down the ali (or should that be alley) route.
Give this a go for the MK2 version...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:05:23 AM by tbone » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »

Thanks for that guys.
Yeah, the top of the plates SaddleBags machined for us is slightly curved to allow clearance for other models of calipers -Passat ones fit for example & we've found the Golf ones vary from year to year but the mounting holes stay the same. Some have larger diameter pistons than others, hence the curved section. Obviously you need to check your own particular calipers against the drawing before cutting.  Wink 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:10:35 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Hagar

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2008, 05:44:15 PM »

Evening , a couple of quick questions  .......

but 1st  .....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/codpiece/template.jpg
Reliant Disc brake conversion

Printed off Tbone's template and stuck it on a bit of ply , not got the calipers and brackets yet but the 4 x 8mm holes line up spot on ..  Grin
( thats the plate that was on the backplate ).

Now for the question ... 
How big should the whole in the middle be ?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/codpiece/which.jpg

1)  just big enough to let the shoulder on the hub through ? , ( does the hub go all the way through to the bearing ? )

2) the same size as the plate that was on the backplate ( its smaller than the 47mm marked on the template , and  the hub goes through about an inch ) .

3) same size as the backplate which seems to be bigger than the template and the plate .. ?

or

4) stick to the template and stop asking silly questions  ...   Grin

sorry if this has been brought up before  .. Smiley

cheers  ..  Hagar

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
tbone

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2008, 06:49:42 PM »

Hiya mate,
               Yeah that is the question. there are 3 of Andys diagrams scattered around this site somewere, 2 of them show that  centre hole marked at 47mm and the 3rd marked at 40mm. I opted for the 47mm as that was the more common of the two sizes. In reality it doesnt matter as long as the hole is large enough to slip over the shaft and allow the hub to sit back through it but small enough to keep the bearing in place.
Can you do me a favour tho n let me know the diameter in your option no.2 please
I hope your taking loads of pics like we discussed  Wink
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:57:02 PM by tbone » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »

What he said.
Reliant used both Metric & Imperial bearings & at least 2 different diameters of drive shafts. 47mm seems to work with everything, but obviously, just use a little common sense & go with whatever your particular axle uses. The centre hole only has to be big enough for the hub to sit in without fouling but small enough to retain the bearing. Definitely not rocket science!  Smiley 

Hagar

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »

Evening , the hole size of option 2 is approx. 42mm ( I think the cat has eat me calipers so I'm down to a steel rule  Smiley ) , the shoulder on the hub (1) is about  7mm .. so in theory if I give it a couple of mm clearance  on the diameter of the shoulder (34ish mm ) that should do it , just a thought does the bearing get hot ? and would the larger hole on the original backplate allow (a minute amount of ) cooling ? , or am I just making this too complicated  Grin

cheers  ..  Hagar

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
Hagar

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2008, 08:29:45 PM »

Evening , not sure the old backplate was holding much in ...  Grin   you can see the whole rubber surround through the plate ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/codpiece/size.jpg

cheers  ..  Hagar

tbone

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2008, 08:37:57 PM »

I think you`ll find the larger hole on the backplate is to allow it to fit various vehicle axles. The older vehicles generally used one of two systems, Lockheed or as in this case Girling. You`ll find that a lot of the brake parts are interchangable as long as you stick with the same manufacturer, E.G 3 different wheel cylinders would all be made from the same casting but would differ only on the bore size.Something like the backplate doesnt locate on its centre hole, but the four mounting holes, so it makes sense to produce one plate with a centre hole diameter large enough to cover different applications.
As for the bearing getting hot, its job is to centre the halfshaft within the casing and allow it to turn freely, obviously as with all friction, there is heat generated but nowt worth worrying about.
Are you gonna do a write up on the boat too?  Grin
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:40:05 PM by tbone » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: