April 29, 2024, 12:35:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Minack Theatre  (Read 14669 times)
ByzMax

Choppit

« on: July 05, 2006, 11:16:51 PM »

One sunny day in 1996 I stayed at a guest house in Porthcurno Cornwall. It's a little cove near Lands End.

It's claim to fame is that it is where the first undersea telegraph cables were laid from and has a museum dedicated to that subject. It has a beautiful white sand beach on which you can see the cables poking out in places. 

Early in the evening I heard a fair amount of traffic passing and knowing that the road only went as far as the pub at the top of the cliff I went to investigate. I stumbled across the incredible Minack Theatre.

It is an open air theatre that is set into the cliff with views out over  the Atlantic ocean. I sat and watched a George Bernard Shaw play about American Independence.

The theatre was entirely the work of a lady by the name of Rowena Cade who purchased the land in the 1920's and built a house on the headland. After making costumes for a production of A Midsummers Night Dream in 1929 it was proposed that the Minack headland would be perfect for a production of the Tempest in 1930. That winter Rowena and her Gardener fashioned a basic stage and some seating on the cliff and the Minack Theatre was born.

She lived until her late 80's and until she died was working on the theatre. Much of it is made of local granite carved by Rowena and her gardener and when they could no longer afford granite she perfected the art of replicating it in concrete using a screwdriver!!!!

She would carry sand from the beach in bags and steal timbers from wrecked ships in the cove in order to build theatre

It is the most amazing place to see production and truly takes your breath away. The sound system allows you to clearly hear everything and just adds to a memorable experience.

For More information visit. www.minack.com/theatregoers/history.htm
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:28:23 PM by ByzMax » Logged

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:34:58 AM »

That's great Byz. Just the sort of write up I'm after,
Haven't heard from Yodie for a couple of weeks but I'll send that over to him & ask him to add it to the Places To Visit section of the site. We still on for a visit there next year?
Thanks for that.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 02:15:24 PM »

Right. The wonderous Mr Yodles has added this to the Places to Visit section of the main site now. Thanks again Byz. Anyone else got a favourite spot they'd like to share? Doesn't have to be bike or car related, just a nice destination to take a trip to.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:10:17 AM »

I once sat on the empty beach one evening at Porthcurno with my girls when they were young and we watched the tide come in for 3 hours.  Wonderful!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »

It is a truly wonderful place. When I was there it was a bit weird as cable and wireless had just shutdown their operations and it had deserted feel but seemed like it should be busy.

Will be taking a ride down there next year and Manky has signed up to go too! Will be looking for more of the Manky Crew to join us on the MMM cornwall invasion. Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:08:31 PM »

I'd better get on with my trike then! Yup, definitely up for some mileage next year to make up for not doing much in '06.
It's the mountains of the Scottish Highlands for me Bobbi. Could sit & enjoy the solitude for hours & hours & hours -& have.

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:40:53 PM »

I'd better get on with my trike then! Yup, definitely up for some mileage next year to make up for not doing much in '06.
It's the mountains of the Scottish Highlands for me Bobbi. Could sit & enjoy the solitude for hours & hours & hours -& have.

Wouldn't mind doing Scotland too. Have been several times to various off the beaten track places and loved it every time.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:22:44 PM »

I've spent the last few years staying in Fort William & exploring the lochs & mountains from there. My favouritest place in the whole wide World. Didn't go last year after splitting up with the long term partner I used to go with, but was going every October. The weather was always superb & the place was deserted. A 10 hour drive at a steady 80mph from my neck of the woods, so would be a two day journey on the trike. Got into the habit of breaking the journey by staying in a Travel Inn in Carlisle overnight. There's a Sunday morning bike meet at a place called the Green Welly Stop at Tindrum that I've always fancied attending.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:12:04 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 01:42:32 AM »

I'd prolly be up for a Manky trip to Cornwall next year.

I'll be going down there early next month, doing RBR landmarks then spending the weekend at the Calstock Bike Show and Regatta. (see Events section)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 01:52:42 AM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »

Yeah, the Calstock show looks nice Bobbi. Wouldn't mind doing that one -but got no transport.  Undecided
Maybe we should come up with a name for this first annual MMMotors road trip! Sounds like it'll be mainly trikes, which'd be fun -never ridden in a large group of 3 wheelers before. What's the collective noun for a bunch of trikes I wonder?

lunatic

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »

I love cornwall! Was in Falmouth just the other week, lovely! Have a convoy of bizarre vehicles down the 303! Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 11:15:18 PM »

Woo hoo! Surfing Monkies.  Grin

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:22:45 PM »

eewww!  Does it have to be the 303?  I hate that road!

Anyway I spose there's be no point in me going that way from Wareham, I'd meet you lot en route!

Maybe it would be a Manky Monkey Marathon......
or a Manky Monkey Movement...

or......?

ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 09:45:28 PM »

A30 is better Smiley

A group of Monkeys is called a TROOP or a BARREL.

Apes are a SHREWDNESS! Huh

Gorrilas are a BAND 

So  a Troop of Mankey Monkeys we will be! Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 09:47:58 PM »

Here they come, cruising down your street,
hey, hey we're the Monkies.....

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: