March 28, 2024, 10:23:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 544973 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1935 on: April 17, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »

The electrics box will be a lot more accessible though. I'm going to relocate the fusebox from the base of the electrics box to the underside of the removable panel, with enough wire to allow me to lift it off & flip it over to check the fuses. I'll probably fit a multi pin plug so the lid can be removed completely. I'm also changing from old glass type fuses to vibration proof modern blade ones.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1936 on: April 17, 2017, 08:33:38 PM »

Slapped some filler on the frame where I cut the old mount off, so will sand it back next time I'm in the garage.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1937 on: April 18, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »

New fusebox bolted to the underside of the access panel.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1938 on: April 18, 2017, 07:06:08 PM »

Spangly new stainless battery box, fabricated by that nice Mr Hornet for a very reasonable price. I've powder-coated it black cos I think it suits the bike better. The rubber sleeve inside the box is standard XS650.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1939 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »

And fitted to the bike. Unlike the old box, I can now remove the battery without having to jack the bike up & drop the box out from under the frame! The leather strap's a horse stirrup strap, the same as the ones on the fuel tank of my truck.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1940 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1941 on: April 18, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »

Waiting for the PMA alternator replacement to arrive from the States at the moment, so will grab some wet n dry from my other lock-up in the next couple of days & start rubbing down & spraying the filler I put on yesterday.

the coppersmith

« Reply #1942 on: April 19, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »

Just been helping out on a bike engine kit car, getting clutch slip at high revs. New clutch fitted, new stronger springs and now no clutch. Feeling a bit " been here, read this". Took it to bits, the springs appear to be stronger and 3 mm longer. Tried again, same result. Put the new clutch with the old springs and all works fine. So the 3mm on the springs are the cause. Its an R1 engine which is Yamaha i believe. Seems odd that this problem should arise so similar to your clutch problem.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1943 on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »

Smiley I rode bikes for decades with engines just thrown together from whatever spares were available, with no problems at all. This one seems to be fighting every step of the way though. The clutch is working but needs some adjustment, but very rattly when the lever's pulled in & the plates seperate. Maybe I'm just getting over critical.
Love bikes, don't you?!

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #1944 on: April 19, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »

Just been helping out on a bike engine kit car, getting clutch slip at high revs. New clutch fitted, new stronger springs and now no clutch. Feeling a bit " been here, read this". Took it to bits, the springs appear to be stronger and 3 mm longer. Tried again, same result. Put the new clutch with the old springs and all works fine. So the 3mm on the springs are the cause. Its an R1 engine which is Yamaha i believe. Seems odd that this problem should arise so similar to your clutch problem.

R1 clutches are a different ball game. Been helping a mate who has a crossplane R1 in a grasstrack outfit. Stack height is critical as is spring weight/strength/length. We found the sweet spot has to be within 1mm of stated stack height. Took ages to sort out. I don't think the XS is as 'needy' but may be contributory.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1945 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:16 PM »

R1 clutches are a different ball game. Been helping a mate who has a crossplane R1 in a grasstrack outfit. Stack height is critical as is spring weight/strength/length. We found the sweet spot has to be within 1mm of stated stack height. Took ages to sort out. I don't think the XS is as 'needy' but may be contributory.
[/quote]

thanks for that snippet, I've put it together without the long stronger springs and its working OK for now with just new plates. Took it out, under power it sounds like its slipping but I'm not seeing the rev's climb much, so leave itbe for now.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1946 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »

Had a letter from Parcel Force today, telling me there's a package from America for me at their depot with a customs charge to pay on it. 80 quid! Ouch! It might be the second hand window trim I bought on Ebay for my truck, but more likely the PMA charging system for the bike. I'll go & collect it on Monday.
Filler rubbed down & a smidge more added. Yes, I covered the carbs up before I rubbed it down.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1947 on: April 22, 2017, 11:08:31 PM »

Definitely lost out in the Customs lottery this time then!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1948 on: April 23, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »

Yeah. It really does seem random though. When we were building Taz's Dodge Charger we brought in half a dozen shipments of body panels. Some cost hundreds of pounds in charges, some cost nothing at all.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1949 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »

ParcelForce say the customs people charge or not depending on how the item's described in the paperwork.
High output PMA alternator replacement kit.
No instructions! I've literally got no idea what to do with it, but Tom reckons he can print off the instructions online & maybe have a look at it this weekend.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: