April 19, 2024, 06:40:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ariel,Honda,Motorhispania Hybrid bobber  (Read 4074 times)
WAYNE999

« on: May 29, 2018, 07:12:38 AM »

Hello everyone I've been away for a while I've started my own business and thats eaten up any spare time I've had.
Anyway I love small motor bikes and took on an absolute dog of a Motorhispania 50cc similar to an Aprillia rs 50.
So now I have a front end and wheels.
Then an Ariel Colt frame came up (all chopped about) with a homemade teardrop tank.
And we have a 1977 6v CG125 engine, so game on.
my question is that given I am looking for a day light MOT (no headlamp or indicators) can i wire the engine to run a horn and brake light without a battery
as I want to keep the bike as clean looking as possible

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Stix

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »

It used to be that for the mot it stated  "an audible warning device" when I was doing mot's on bikes (many years ago now) I had to mot trials bikes and they had no lights, they also had a small bulb horn and one had a bicycle bell, passed them like that as they where fitted with an audible warning system. The rules might have changed now requiring something a bit louder but back then they were good to go.
As for a rear light have a look at the bicycle rear lights there might be one with a built in battery that could be modified for use.

Stix
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »

I've got two (front and back ) bicycle lights (extremely powerful ) to use on my Chop.. Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »

I assume  the Colt frame came with V5. Be careful as it may be deemed to be 'radically modified' in which case it will need MSVA entailing full lighting etc.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
WAYNE999

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »

It's all in hand young man
If we need an sva I'll do the whole wiring thing
But it's nothing that can't be altered at a later date.
I know that Vespas run a horn without a battery just don't know how

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 06:45:18 AM »

A Norwegian produced moped with sachs motor also run a horn without battery, it used power from the lightcoil from inside the flywheel (there were two coil's there one for spark and one for light, but it had to run to work)

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
hornet6

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »

Strange how these things come round back into fashion. A guy on facebook contacted me about making a fuel tank for a Honda motra. They are an ugly looking machine, but there is a massive fan base for them. The bloke himself has a small group of mates who restore/ customise monkey bikes and honda c50 and c90. All bizarre stuff but interesting. I,ve been asked as well to fashion a crazy curled up exhaust for him as well.If your on facebook at all take a look at his webpage called guyskustoms. 

no projects ever finished
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »

I was at a local bike meet in Hampshire last week & there was a group of 5 or 6 C50/90 mopeds & a couple of Monkey bikes there.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:21:30 PM »

If you are using the Colt registration, then it's over 40 years old and therefore Tax and M.o.T free as an Historic Vehicle, problem solved Cheesy Wink....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 09:58:07 PM »

As long as the registration has been kept up!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:52:29 PM »

Only requires a current V5c...................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

Not quite so. For a vehicle to be a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI) and exempt from MOT and tax, you have to declare that the vehicle has not been substantially changed in the past 30 years on form V112. This has to be done each year when taxing the vehicle. Making a fraudulent declaration is a criminal offence and yes, you still have to tax a tax exempt vehicle (or SORN), but it's free.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »

Not quite so. For a vehicle to be a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI) and exempt from MOT and tax, you have to declare that the vehicle has not been substantially changed in the past 30 years on form V112. This has to be done each year when taxing the vehicle. Making a fraudulent declaration is a criminal offence and yes, you still have to tax a tax exempt vehicle (or SORN), but it's free.

What he said............  Wink

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16612.0

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: