March 28, 2024, 04:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Free road-tax and MoT exemption. Changes 20 May 2018. Vehicle taxation class VHI  (Read 1788 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: February 06, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »

Thought I’d try and add to the thread started by thecoppersmith......... hopefully not treading on any toes
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=16543.0

I think I’ve got my head around this, but don’t quote me!!

As from the 20th May 2018, vehicles (best read that as cars and motorcycles for now) over 40 years of age (from date of manufacture) can have their taxation class changed on the V5C (log book) to the newly-created “Vehicle of Historic Interest” (VHI). Note – Does not apply to Q plates.

This will mean that when the vehicle’s road tax is due, there will no charge. It will also mean they will be exempt from periodic testing (MoT) unless they have been “substantially changed”.
Currently vehicles that are mamufactured between January 1960 and Dec 1976 and recorded as Historic have free road-tax, but they do require a MoT. Only pre-1960 vehicles are exempt from periodic testing (MoT).

So, you may ask, what’s the definition of “substantially changed”? – check out the link, but note the definition/clarity for motorcycles has yet to be finalised. I had a chat with a motorcycle MoT tester chap, and at present, he’s pretty much in the dark and waiting for guidance
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

Section 3 on page 5 of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency The Motorcycle MOT Inspection Manual sheds a little (but not a lot of) light for the motorcycles re “substantially changed”.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

The (MoT) inspection manual will change on 20 May 2018 when the EU roadworthiness directive (2014/45) is introduced.

Currently (Feb 2018), most vehicles that are pre-1960 are already “Historic” according to their taxation class on the V5C as owners would have revised their tax classification quite a while ago.
Being “Historic” and pre-1960 currently entitles them to be exempt from periodic testing (MoT), and there to be no charge when obtaining their road tax.
Vehicles that are made between January 1960 and Dec 1976, recorded as Historic have no charge for road tax, but are required to have an MoT.

As far as I’m aware, there is nothing that relates to “substantially changed” within the current (as of Feb 2018) periodic testing (MoT) system for “historic” vehicles. It only comes into play from 20 May 2018.

It’s worth noting that vehicles exempt from periodic testing (MoT) may be taken for a MoT if the owner desires, and this will continue when the revisions take place in May 2018

So, it appears from 20 May 2018, there will be a new (replacement?)*** taxation class (VHI), for vehicles over 40 years of age that are not currently (written Feb 2018) in the “Historic” taxation class.
However, if the vehicle is “substantially changed”, it won’t be eligible for exemption-from-periodic-testing (MoT).
*** Up until 20 May 2018, a pre-1960 vehicle not already “Historic”, still has the option to become “Historic”. i.e. a barn-find wishes to revise it’s logbook. From this 20 May 2018 it appears the “Historic” option will be removed and replaced with VHI.

The only differences I can see/guess/assume (??) is that the “substantially changed”  VHI caveat does not apply to the pre 1960, and others already recorded as, “Historic” on the V5C (as changes do not usually apply retrospectively). Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect.
I'm assuming vehicles that are made between January 1960 and Dec 1976 and currently recorded as Historic (free road-tax but requiring MoT), will become MoT exempt - it's difficult to find info on this, guess time will tell...........

So, if you’ve got an old (pre 1960, or post 1960 and over +40 years old) car/bike sitting in one of your many barns/triple garages that you’d like to be “Historic” as opposed to VHI (assuming it isn’t already “Historic”), you’ve only got until 20May 2017!!

Phew...............

Oh! One last point of interst.
A pal’s vehicle was first registered in April 1976. Last year he applied for the taxation class to be changed to Historic, only to find out the DVLA records have the date of manufacture as 31 Dec 1976, and it’s the manufacture date that counts!!!!! (don’t ask!!)

Some additional reading that may help
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644412/government-response-to-exempting-vehicles-of-historical-interest-from-roadworthiness.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/668272/addendum-government-response-vehicles-histroical-interest.pdf

https://classic-motorbikes.net/mot-testing-ringing-the-changes-from-may-2018/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:20:53 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »

UPDATE   -   I think I’ve got my head around this...............

This could be worth reading for anyone who has a ‘Historic’ road car/bike whether, is a pre-1960 or recently qualified over-40 years machine.

Changes relating to the exemption from paying for road fund licence and the requirement for a MoT for vehicles of a certain age, in general over 40 years of age and those already classified as Historic on the V5C, have now come recently  into being ( May 2018).

There are, however, various vehicles (tho I’ll just stick cars & bikes) that this doesn’t apply to.

Its also worth noting that pre-1960 vehicles, which up until recently have been entitled to free road tax along with automatically being MoT exempt, are now captured in the self-declaration form relating to ‘substantial change’, and as such may now need to be MoT’d where they didn’t before.

There’s a two-option self-declaration form to be completed when applying for road tax, and, according to info gleaned from the FBHVC (Federation of British Historical Vehicle Clubs), depending on how its completed, determines whether the machine becomes a VHI (Vehicle of Historic Interest) which is exempt from MoT, or simply Historic which will require an annual MoT.

The following link should take you to the gov V112 Declaration of Exemption from MoT form (which you’ll need to fill in if applying for road tax at a Post Office) which identifies those eligible, and those not. On-line road-tax applications will see similar.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/707632/v112-declaration-of-exemption-from-mot.pdf

The form has a section entitled “What does ‘substantially changed’ mean?”, which proceeds to give a definition, which at the time of posting (2018-06-06) says A vehicle where the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the last 30 years.
It then goes on to identify the main components, but not for motorcycles, and then goes on to list changes that are not considered substantial.

So it seems that the definition of ‘substantially changed’ can be seen for cars, but, alas, (unless I need to go to sp**savers) not for motorcycles.

The FBHVC’s 2018 newsletters make interesting reading
I suggest downloading and
•   initially open Issue 2 and read page 3
•   then open Issue 1 Addendum and read 5
•   then open Issue 1 and read page 8 (in particular sections 7 and 12)

http://fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/

Phew................

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »

I do believe that stuff for motorbikes will be hitting us by 2022 ?
My understanding from a reliable source..( but I may have got it wrong Roll Eyes) in laymans terms..is use your hotrod like you did before, if it's got a four pot engine similar to the original you may get away with it? If it's got a blooming big V8 then eventually your going to get caught and made/asked to have it properly tested ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
JayJay

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:04:40 PM »

Thanks for the info Huh  I think I'll lie down now.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

The FBHVC website has some new Newsletters available to read / download.

Issue 3 (page 3 relates to Mots and IVAs)

Issue 3 addendum (which has info that the FBHVC says supersedes all previous advice the Federation may have given including that in Issue 3 of the Newsletter).

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/members-pages/newsletter-archive/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: