March 29, 2024, 11:07:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89
  Print  
Author Topic: New Olds (boat tail speedster)  (Read 397476 times)
Olds

« Reply #795 on: November 14, 2015, 06:14:16 AM »

That is a very kind offer Andy but I won't know if I will have won the bid untill that evening, plus I wouldn't want to add to an already long journey.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #796 on: November 14, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »

Hmm. All the ones I've tried for large beads (these are 20mm) have distorted the ends of the panel where the  bead doesn't go due to it pulling the panel into shape rather than stretching the steel to form the bead. With  multiple parallel  beads, the panel ends up a lot shorter where the beads are, than down the sides where the panel is flat causing all sorts of twisting.
 Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Undecided
Stunk the garage out applying a couple of coats of celly primer. Put on using a roller, but the finish is good enough for an area that won't be seen.   Smiley

it may well be because of the size of the bead ? Iv never had enough shrinkage to notice ( ooh er mrs ! ) looks good though..a good bead is like a good hole..shows you've gone that extra bit ? 
Does this sound smutty ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
poprodder

« Reply #797 on: November 14, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »

Hmm. All the ones I've tried for large beads (these are 20mm) have distorted the ends of the panel where the  bead doesn't go due to it pulling the panel into shape rather than stretching the steel to form the bead. With  multiple parallel  beads, the panel ends up a lot shorter where the beads are, than down the sides where the panel is flat causing all sorts of twisting.
 Perhaps I was doing it wrong. Undecided
Stunk the garage out applying a couple of coats of celly primer. Put on using a roller, but the finish is good enough for an area that won't be seen.   Smiley

it may well be because of the size of the bead ? Iv never had enough shrinkage to notice ( ooh er mrs ! ) looks good though..a good bead is like a good hole..shows you've gone that extra bit ? 
Does this sound smutty ? Shocked

yes Cheesy

Olds

« Reply #798 on: November 14, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »

Grin Grin Grin
Been starting to get the mid build blues recently. Not helped by the fact that the car looks far less complete than it did in the summer, when all the body panels were tempoarily attached.
So I did a stock take on what has been achieved so far. The chassis has been finished all bar the side covers and some paint. The body frame, panels and bonnet sections are all done and aside from using parts of a Minor bonnet, it's all been hand made. Suspension all round and front axle completely rebuilt. Engine and gearbox conversion finished (still don't know if it will run  Cheesy). Still a lot to do but I think I may be on schedule for a two year build (not that there is a deadline).
 Might even take a week off (only kidding) Grin
What I'm trying to say is, during a long build there will be times when progress is slow and it seems that it will never get done. Instead of thinking about how much there is still to do, look back a see what has been achieved. A glass half full mentality can really help.

How it was August last year.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:24:04 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #799 on: November 15, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »

That's very true Dave. I keep thinking my Pop isn't getting anywhere, but although I've taken a couple of weeks off from it to work on my bike, it's changed dramatically since it was last on the road.
Other people see the changes to our projects, but when you see them every day, sometimes we don't.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #800 on: November 16, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »

Very true MM.
 I had the bright idea of giving myself, a little extra foot space by narrowing the cover where possible.
The result of this small aberration of the mind, was four hours of panel beating and I'm still not entirely happy with it. Undecided
I have however manage to get an extra 20mm of foot space width. May not seem a lot but with a footwell this narrow every mm counts.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:03:04 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #801 on: November 16, 2015, 09:36:59 AM »

Looks fine to me! One of the few bits I'd change in the Pop -plenty of leg length, but no width at all. I have to drive with both feet on the pedals all the time because the footwell's so narrow.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #802 on: November 16, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »

Dave, that looks spiffin' as per, and Mr. M, if the Pop is tight on foot room, you should try this bloody 3 wheeler of mine, you can only drive in the equivalent of Ballet pumps! really, and you don't half get some odd looks when you eventually struggle out, no doors either, in Levi's and pink shoes!! Grin only kidding, but space is zilch, and I take size 6!! so....

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #803 on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »

Cheers guys.
Made a start on the top seatbelt harness / fuel tank mount. Made from 33mm OD x 3mm wall tube, it fits tight under the boat tail and will be braced back down to the chassis.

Olds

« Reply #804 on: November 22, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »

There are some ideas that should have stayed as just an idea. Agreeing to fit harness type belts was one of them.
The top harness mounting points are going to have to come through the boat tail and I figured that some form of 'aerodynamic' alterations would cover this up.
The rear is not what one could call flat, so it took a bit of flaffing around to get one side done. Now all I have to do is make the exact same thing, only handed, for the other side.
Not sure about the look, so I might also try to make something shorter, wider and rounder. Undecided
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:44:59 AM by Olds » Logged

Olds

« Reply #805 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »

Yay ! Got a set of four wire wheels off ebay that hopefully wont need totally rebuilding.
Now praying to the god of delivery that they actually turn up.

the coppersmith

« Reply #806 on: November 23, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »

with reference to your wheels, last week my carbs turned up in a black bin bag ! Seems the courier had gone scat and they had been left in a warehouse somewhere until the receiver allowed release, so, fingers crossed on your wheels.
Olds

« Reply #807 on: November 23, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »

Shocked Glad to hear they eventually arrived. Smiley
Got the other side done this morning.  I though making one side fit was awkward till i tried to make another one the same. Took two hours and much cursing but turned out ok.
Would have been a lot easier in aluminium.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:47:28 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #808 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »

Look great Dave -& disguise any last trace of the boat tail's Moggy Minor origins.

Manky parts collection service is available if you need it.

Olds

« Reply #809 on: November 25, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »

Kind of you to say so MM but I think the shape and size is wrong. will try again but this time try to get the proportions of the cockpit fairing of an SE5A.
Hopefully I shouldn't need the Manky collection service.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:05:06 AM by Olds » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 89
  Print  

Jump to: