April 27, 2024, 01:51:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: "Scratch disks full"  (Read 3850 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:36 AM »

A question for the computer literate among you:
I use Adobe Photoshop to crop & re-size photos to post here. It's now telling me it can't open any photo folders because the Scratch Disks are full. I've had that message a couple of times before & found deleting pics from My Photos sorted it. I've reached the point where I don't want to lose the remaining pics though. How do I empty the Scratch disks without losing anything from My Photos? In stoopid monkey terms please -no clever jargon.

After the great website crash of 2011, I'm currently running everything from an old laptop. It's got a very small memory, (like me), & I'm now having to delete old photos to add new ones. We bought a plug-in hard drive, just before we were hit by the virus & although it's been checked & pronounced clean by a local computer nerd, we've, (O.K, I've), lost the installation CD.
My old PC tower's also been checked over & no viruses found, so hopefully we can relaunch the full website soon, but I'm told we need a new wireless router first.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
dragonwarrior

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

the plug in hard drive should be recognised when plugged in. if it needs drivers search the web they should be out there somewhere.
dragonwarrior

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

Hi Andy,
Why do you need a new router?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »

You think I'd know?! I'm still leaving cheese next to the keyboard to feed the mouse.

nabsim

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »

I am not a user of Photo Shop but I did build a rediculously powerful machine for someone who does use it not too long ago. From the little I looked into it the scratch disk is a temporary storage area but not 'in the air' but written to a disk. You may be able you get round it by plugging in a USB memory stick or a second USB hard drive then telling Adobe to use that for the scratch disk. Like I say I am not up on the program so may be telling you wrong but I think I am somewhere near.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

Sounds about right, but I've got no idea how to do that. A very good friend set the website up for me originally & we just keep it ticking over. I'm not computer literate at all.

nabsim

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »

If I get chance this afternoon I will have a bit of a Google and see if I can find what you need to do Andy. Do you know what version you are using in case it makes a difference?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »

CS2    9.0.2

Dslam

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »

What router do you have and how do you connect to it currently?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:55:20 PM »

I don't know! Erm, Netgear. I think my laptop's wired to it & Taz's is wireless.

kevsky

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »

why not store your piccies on an online storeage site loads of em about and free so thats an added bonus

reality sucks thank god for religion
Dslam

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:26 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem either wired through a LAN or wireless. I don't think you need a new router. If you want I can come over and check it out and tell you over tea and biccies Tongue
nabsim

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »

From what I have been able to see this afternoon it says you set the scratch disk in preferences in adobe. It also says not to have it on removable or network drives so forget my idea. If you find where it is empty out the temp files. It also says to run a defrag. On the drive with the scratch disks on, you can have space but if it is fragmented it doesn't use it, that's sounds like best first move.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »

You have to talk in Stoopid Monkey, not semi computer literate talk.  Tongue
Ideally I'd paint all the keys on the keyboard different colours so someone could say Press the red one. Now the blue one ...

I've actually forgotten what little I knew about creating & loading the pages for the main site. Once we get things back to normal I'm gonna have to relearn it all.
Mr D, knowing your computer skills level, that might be the way to go -bearing in mind the fate of the whole website would be in your hands!  Tongue   

one arm bandit

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 09:00:06 PM »

Shouldn't be a problem either wired through a LAN or wireless. I don't think you need a new router. If you want I can come over and check it out and tell you over tea and biccies Tongue
might be wise to take your own biccies, i doubt the jaffas will be pass around in the manky house hold Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: