April 28, 2024, 09:38:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: pillar drill prob  (Read 7181 times)
zakboy

« on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »

hi all got a wolf pillar drill its about twelve months old was working fine then developed a prob when i press the start button it makes the noise as if it wants to spin but don't but if i help it by starting to spin it with my hands it would go but now it just makes the noise any ideas its not had excessive use its not the belts slipping is it likely to be the bushes could it be something else haven't needed to use it in a while but will need it soon any help appreciated. cheers Zak

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
hunter

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »

Sounds like the brushes zak.I take it it has an inbuilt motor,
You may find some plugs on the side of the machine, with slotted heads for a large screwdriver,
Remove the plugs then the brushes,If no plugs you will probably have to strip the drill.
If it's a separate motor,it sounds like it may be a broken connection.

I
zakboy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

hi hunter,dont know a lot about them but this is the motor it has on it

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

sound like a capacitor fault. at least to begin with
here's a chart with cap values on it, caps are cheap and worth a try before getting a new motor
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/chewie66666/capacitor-table.jpg
pillar drill prob

smell the motor, burned motors give off a lovely odor and you'll know its not right
i suppose its out of warranty?

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
hunter

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »

Yes i think Chewie is right there,capacitor.

I
zakboy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:29 PM »

sound like a capacitor fault. at least to begin with
here's a chart with cap values on it, caps are cheap and worth a try before getting a new motor
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f291/chewie66666/capacitor-table.jpg
pillar drill prob

smell the motor, burned motors give off a lovely odor and you'll know its not right
i suppose its out of warranty?
Hi Chewie i don't think the motors burnt out no smell.... it dose try to spin but wont i think i will try to get hold of capacitor as you suggest....yes it is just out of warranty sods law thanks for your help chewie much appreciated

zakboy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 03:49:09 PM »

Yes i think Chewie is right there,capacitor.
Thanks to you to Hunter for your help much appreciated

tbone

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

Could be a capacitor fault....Have you tried it with no load by taking the belt off?
Could be dirty contact switches so a dose of electrical cleaner may not hurt either.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
zakboy

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

I have tried it with out a belt on the motor T.bone but haven't used any electrical cleaner when the prob first occurred i was using the drill and it was fine switched it off for a few moment's then went to use it again a few mommen ts later and it would not spin but i could see the chuck moving slightly as if it was going to spin but would not unless i helped to start it by spinning it with my hand then it would work normally until i switched it off then i would have to do the same thing again to get it spinning
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:21:46 PM by zakboy » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

Assuming that it is indeed capacitor start machine, not all fractional HP AC motors are, then the capacitor is faulty. The capacitor is used to artificially create an out of phase shift to the "Run" winding, to enable single phase machines to accelerate from rest. The fact that when you give it a helping hand, it will run up to speed, indicates this, so a new capacitor may be your answer, although you might also find the motor contains a centrifugal switch, which is designed to cut out a start winding, and sometimes these become o/c, needs a strip and check, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
zakboy

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

I think it is a capacitor start machine Morrag on the picture bottom right hand corner you can just make it out hanging down looks like a coil type thing with two wires coming from it to the motor think that's what it is anyway......... yes think i need to strip and see if i can see anything obvious to start with. cheers all
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:33:58 PM by zakboy » Logged

triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 12:26:33 AM »

my pllar drill and my bench grinder both did the same
you can test the cap witha multimeter if you have one with a capacitance tester

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
tbone

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »

Dis-charge the thing first though  Roll Eyes

zakboy

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »

Will just switching it of or disconnecting the drill for a while do that Tbone i do have a multimeter but don't really know how to use it only brought it to check the out put of the charging system on the bike, am i just looking for a reading between the two connections on the capacitor and if i get one its ok and if its zero its no good or is it not quite that simple cheers Zak

tbone

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

The capacitor is a device for storeing/releasing electrical voltage, when you plug in your device and flick the socket switch on, the capacitor charges with electricity.
Even if you suspect the capacitor to be faulty, NEVER assume it is discharged.
A small capacitor will give you a tingle in your fingers, a large one could hit you like a lightening bolt!

Zak, I don`t do a lot of mains voltage circuit work, so with in mind I am reluctant to answer any further.
Please be careful when inspecting mains electrical equipment.

Having said that, the normal course of action would be to check the voltage, using a voltmeter with connections to the capacitor wires.
To discharge, you need to make a circuit. This can be done by leaving the voltmeter attached and this will slowly discharge it, a faster way is to connect a light bulb between the 2 wires.

A multimeter can be used, in the ohms setting to check resistance.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: