May 15, 2024, 04:55:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65
  Print  
Author Topic: RODS build........  (Read 255082 times)
ROD

« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »

Toad ...pm sent......
 Morrag... I agree with what youre saying ..it should at least cough when its near the mark! It has started for about 30 secs ,then died!Ive flattened 3 batteries trying!
toad

« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

pm replied Wink

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
ROD

« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »

Right ,Ive just stripped the top of the dist down ,as it seems that when the rotor arm is in the correct spot ,I cant align the heel of the points so that they are just about to open . The heel is between 2 lobes of the dist! S--------O-O-O- Ive looked at the advance mechanism which appears to be holding the points from travelling a bit more in a clockwise direction to contact the heel.I dont think I actually made any difference to the base plate ,but a fraction may  be all thats needed.When I suck on the pipe it definitely is free to move .Im still amazed at how finecky they are to get this right ,as other makes will at least cough when its near right! Waiting for the battery to re charge to try it!
tbone

« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2009, 07:35:15 PM »

I`m not disagreeing with anything said so far...but...yeah there had to be a but.....this engine was running fine right up to the point where it was removed, since then its just been sat and as far as we know, only the leads removed....i cannot believe it needs to much fine tuning to get it fireing and running!

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
toad

« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »

I`m not disagreeing with anything said so far...but...yeah there had to be a but.....this engine was running fine right up to the point where it was removed, since then its just been sat and as far as we know, only the leads removed....i cannot believe it needs to much fine tuning to get it fireing and running!
welcome to the world of reliant! Grin

tbone

« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

Anyone wanna swap a reliant for a vauxhall?  Grin Grin

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »

I'm not a mechanic & don't pretend to be. I just build vehicles around Reliant motors then blag mates to come & get 'em running if I get problems, but Reliants aren't finicky. That's part of their attraction. They're pretty bullet proof & will run quite happily whatever you throw at 'em. Fine tuning isn't a phrase you'll find in a Reliant manual! They can be way off the proper settings & still run. Not questioning your mechanicking skills Rod, but I've never had one that absolutely refuses to run at all. Even with the distributor fitted 180 degrees out, (yeah, I've done it), they'll still sort of run. It's got to be something pretty basic like a knackered dizzy or coil surely?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #217 on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

just a thought  i once had a simaler expieriance  a long time ago  the fault took days to find  many splinters were got by at least 5 monkey mechanics by losts of head scratchin  Wink Wink

eventually it turned out that the timing chain was slack ( worn tensioner ) and while other jobs were being done the engine crank had been turned backwards and the chain had managed to jump a couple of teeth
not wanting to worry you but it may just be worth considering

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2009, 11:38:32 PM »

Well, I'm with Mr M on this one, hence my advice. This type of motor ain't finicky as a general rule, and will run on the most basic of setups. I also agree with Mr T, what could have happened between it stopping in its origional use. and now?Timing chain and teeth jumping would seem doubtful under these circumstances, so don't get too technical, set it up as I suggested and give it a try, what do you have to lose? other than possibly your "rag"!!....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
ROD

« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »

Oh yeah ,Ive 'lost it' a few times in the last couple of days! I agree with all that has been said ,thats why I just cant suss it! It must be summat simple ,as TB says.I tried it originally by just replacing the bits ,but no joy. The only difference was in the lack of thick gasket on the inlet ,hence my Q,s on that! The dist seemed at such a strange setting (ie the rear cap clip was very tight up against no 2 plug ) I decided to re time it as per the usual 4 pot method . Toad has enlightened me on that one tho'! along the way Ive checked /replaced most bits ,even changed the coil at one point.Ive now started checking the Carb area. Maybe flooding ,knocking out the plug sparks! Still awaiting battery to charge ,so will def keep you all posted!I had it coughing slightly last night ,but battery died.Back out to the thunder dome to have anuver go!!!
  My goal of test riding this w/end will have to wait until next w/end !
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:23:58 AM by ROD » Logged
ROD

« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:51 AM »

IT LIVES!!!!!!!! A bit spluttery ,but it starts. With a bit of tweaking of the carb and timing it should be a lot better! Just got told off for running it with open pipe ! The family arent up yet(or werent! Grin)

tbone

« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »

Ah the sound of success, not music to everyones ears early on a sunday morning  Grin
Well done mate.

spanners

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »

IT LIVES!!!!!!!! A bit spluttery ,but it starts. With a bit of tweaking of the carb and timing it should be a lot better! Just got told off for running it with open pipe ! The family arent up yet(or werent! Grin)

aahhh the sound of open exhaust pipe on a sunday morn  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Wink Wink Wink not alot thats better other than the smell of freshly burnt fuel or castrol ,,r,, Grin Grin

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
toad

« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »

Oh yeah ,Ive 'lost it' a few times in the last couple of days! I agree with all that has been said ,thats why I just cant suss it! It must be summat simple ,as TB says.I tried it originally by just replacing the bits ,but no joy. The only difference was in the lack of thick gasket on the inlet ,hence my Q,s on that! The dist seemed at such a strange setting (ie the rear cap clip was very tight up against no 2 plug ) I decided to re time it as per the usual 4 pot method . Toad has enlightened me on that one tho'! along the way Ive checked /replaced most bits ,even changed the coil at one point.Ive now started checking the Carb area. Maybe flooding ,knocking out the plug sparks! Still awaiting battery to charge ,so will def keep you all posted!I had it coughing slightly last night ,but battery died.Back out to the thunder dome to have anuver go!!!
  My goal of test riding this w/end will have to wait until next w/end !
glad you got it sorted Grin i had 1 other thought that might have happened in its past life??theres the simple tuning trick of removing the cam sprocket and turning it over and refitting this effectivly brings into use the (dead tooth) enableing the camshaft to alter the power curve higher up the rpm range that might explain why you have thos extra marks made on your crank pully and would also explain why the heel in the dizzy wont line up with the points Wink

ROD

« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »

Euphoria over..so what was it? Acombination of things already mentioned PLUS ..I found summat strange in the float bowl . Checked it a couple of times previously ,but never noticed...On the bottom of the fuel float (where the "SU " raised lettering is ) was what looked and felt like a thick smear of silicone ,covering up the lettering . This was about diam of a 1p piece and 1mm or so thick! Looked like a small round sticky plaster. Dunno whether it was supposed to be there ,but peeled it off. I wonder whether that was enuf to hold the float open ,therefore keep the fuel flooding in? The overflow pipe on the top never seemed to have fuel coming out of it.
           Rod
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 65
  Print  

Jump to: