April 29, 2024, 03:17:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oil pressure guage??  (Read 3936 times)
ROD

« on: March 01, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »

The joint at the guage end of the pipe is leaking, and I cant cure it .The pre made pipe that can be bought with the correct ends is far too long , as I only need about 15 ins (oo er).what I really need is a pipe with a'banjo fitting one end, and the correct guage fitting at the top end.
Or should I just blank off the t piece and do away with the guage? Opinions please.
Olds

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »

Usual thing is to neatly coil up the excess tube.
The end fittings used to be soldered on to copper tube and it was possible to shorten the tube and re solder.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
ROD

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »

Think I may have to rethink the whole t piece to fit sender and pipe to! Probably easier to buy npt tap and die and custom make it!
andyrennison

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:40:17 PM »

This is how i did it Rod, may be of some interest to you. shaped aluminium, drilled a hole through then tapped it for the oip pressure guage, a sender and a connector.

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
ROD

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »

Thats a different way of doing it Andy, looks good. What sort of tube did you use from block to the aly then? The tubes and fittingsthat are sold for the job are crimped/pushed on by machine, yours look just clamped? What about the pressure blowing the pipe off the connector tails?
andyrennison

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »

Thats a different way of doing it Andy, looks good. What sort of tube did you use from block to the aly then? The tubes and fittingsthat are sold for the job are crimped/pushed on by machine, yours look just clamped? What about the pressure blowing the pipe off the connector tails?

Used braided fuel line. Hasnt blown off yet!

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
Olds

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 05:21:07 PM »

Do you need an oil pressure gauge ?
Never bothered with one. As long as the oil light goes out (and stays that way) I'm happy. One less thing to mount, plumb in, run wires to and worry about. Smiley

ROD

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »

I agree, but with the troubles Ive been having, I want to monitor it if I can! Removed the pipe and gauge and blocked the hole in the t piece for now.Ive now sussed the thread sizes ,think Ill fit an elbow facing upward to the block, then a t piece for the sender, then sit the gauge on top of that, facing upwards.No pipe to bother about sourcing then.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »

I've got a small direct fit oil pressure gauge on my truck. Screws directly into the engine, (mine actually goes into the oil filter housing). About 1 1/2" diameter. So you  don't need a separate sender unit & could mount it on a simple 90 degree elbow to make it readable from the riding position.
Cost about 35 quid from Jackhammer hotrod shop in Farnborough, Hants.

http://www.jackhammerspeedshop.com/#

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »

I think that by sender unit, Rod may be referring to an oil pressure switch for the oil warning light.

ROD

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »

Thanks Andy.Yes I was talking about the warning light sender.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: