March 28, 2024, 09:29:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 237203 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2009, 01:55:28 PM »

Kiss

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2009, 05:00:49 PM »

missed this ,dint know it was one of 'those' forums! Kiss Kiss Kiss
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2009, 07:16:23 PM »

Could be -depends how good you are with your hands.  Tongue

Tall graham

« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2009, 08:31:14 PM »

Could anybody advise me on what type of master cyl' would suit for this conversion as I have a BMW K75 trike with drums and want to do this conversion,but I want to retain the existing brake lever,would a bike one do or will I not get the fluid movement with it?
many thanks!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »

Hello Graham  Wink I tried a bike cylinder on my first ever trike -a Yamaha XS750. The standard XS cylinder didn't seem to have enough oomph to operate the standard Reliant drums. Personally I'd go with the Reliant cylinder or similar. Not impossible to create a linkage to turn the up & down motion of the bike pedal rod into a side to side movement for the car cylinder -I think Alec covered it in an old issue of 100% Biker magazine.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »

There ya go, a little more useful info -thanks Steve.

sportbilly2

« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:22 AM »

wow haggis them half shaft pipes are awesome !!!! i already want some conversion plates off you but would you consider doing some more of those and how much Shocked Shocked
haggis

« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »

Hya Mate. Yes I make them tubes to order but they aint cheap as the price of Stainless Steel tube has gone through the roof. I can squease em out for a tad over £200 without mounts. upwards from this depending on what you need.

Cheers
       Haggis
yellowmelos

« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2010, 09:23:23 PM »

Hi All,

i am currently rebuilding a Honda NTV 650 trike and i am in the process of converting the rear drums to disc.... ( i would also like to say this thread has pretty much everything you need to know)

I have a question about the caliper mount material, what is the thinest ally i could make the caliper mount plates out of Huh

I know most of you make them from 5 to 7 mm steel, but i have a sheet of grade 2 6mm thick ally... is that going to be man enough to do the job ??

Cheers people
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Hiya -& welcome to the forum.  Wink
My originals were hand cut from 6mm steel plate -took forever with a hacksaw & a file.
Local engineer & occasional forum poster, SaddleBags, then machined up a few sets in 10mm aluminium. They were stepped over the end of the axle flanges by 3mm though, so the actual caliper mounting points were 7mm thick. They work fine.
I'm not an engineer & don't pretend to be, usually working by the Try It & See Method, rather than delving into the theory of it all, but Id've thought the bulk of the forces acting on the plates are rotational -trying to turn the caliper mounts with the wheel, more than across the thickness of the plate.
Any thoughts anyone?

yellowmelos

« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »

Hi Ya Mankey monkey

I agree that most of the force is indeed of the rotational type but there is a certain amount of twisting force when the pads first come into contact with the discs, also because the calipers are a float and only push from one side, you tent to get the front of the pad on one side grip the disc first and then tries to get ripped forward before the rest of the pad and second pad come into contact ( you can see this by the way the pads wear out.

seeing as this piece of ally has been in my garage for about 5 years, i am going to make them from it and see what happens Smiley

but thanks for the reply anyway.

Regards,

YellowMelos
GPZ11ANGEL

« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »

I JUST TRIKE MY UNCLE BUNT CHOP FRAM AND USED A RELIANT BACK AXLE BUT IT ONLY HAD THREE BOLT FIXINGS FOR THE DRUM PLATE BACKS ANY ONE KNOW WHY???

REMEMBER WHO U ARE
voodoo

« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »

Going to be making a start on my conversion in the next couple of weeks..ive got a set of the plates all I need to do now is track down all the other bits I need...anyone know were I could buy the carriers etc new?....Voodoo....

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
tbone

« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:56 AM »

I JUST TRIKE MY UNCLE BUNT CHOP FRAM AND USED A RELIANT BACK AXLE BUT IT ONLY HAD THREE BOLT FIXINGS FOR THE DRUM PLATE BACKS ANY ONE KNOW WHY???
Yeah i do.........its a Reliant Kitten axle

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
trev

« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »

Going to be making a start on my conversion in the next couple of weeks..ive got a set of the plates all I need to do now is track down all the other bits I need...anyone know were I could buy the carriers etc new?....Voodoo....
have a look in here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Volksbits-shop?_rdc=1

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: