April 25, 2024, 07:46:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 242617 times)
scannerzer

« Reply #315 on: July 27, 2013, 05:56:29 AM »

Hi Rocket
merv

« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »

Welcome to the mad monkey house  Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »

Well Helloooo there.  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #318 on: July 27, 2013, 08:42:06 PM »

Hi Rocket!

Many methods have been tried to remove the hubs from the half shafts - this wasn't a particularly successful one!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #319 on: July 27, 2013, 09:43:46 PM »

Hey BG, that's a big rotisserie you have there. Cheesy
Welcome to the funny farm forum Rocket

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #320 on: July 27, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »

Jeez, that was a long time ago.
That's me in that there photo that is.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #321 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »

Hi Rocket!

Many methods have been tried to remove the hubs from the half shafts - this wasn't a particularly successful one!

hehehehe i remember that weekend Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Rocket

« Reply #322 on: July 28, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy the BBQ method that's superb,, I remember cleaning carburettor bodies in my parents dishwasher many years ago Shocked
Thanks for all the welcomes ill start a thread on my build soon
monkeymagic

« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

Just joined and am afer help on this rear brake conversion thing but a bit of history first.

A very good friend of mine brought a 2l pinto auto rat style trike about 8 years ago and he has always complained about the brakes on it.
basicly, if you think your not going to stop half a mile prior then its already too late! lol
Its unusal with a beer keg as a fuel tank ( did enjoy emptying that!) 3 seats with opel manta alloys front and back ( can and will put picks up for a laugh )

Basicly, i done a deal with him that if he gets me a load of fence panels/posts etc ( there is a national shortage so are bloody hard to get hold of ) then i would sort his brakes out as payment for them.
I have looked on here several times but am getting quite confused on what i actully need.
I was looking at possibly using drilled and vented discs, upgraded pads and decent calipers on it but am struggling to work out what i need.
Ive read the attachment to this advising you need nova discs, golf mk 2/3 calipers and carriers with pads to match and the back plates ive seen on ebay for about 30 quid.
Trouble im having is there are many different models for both the nova and golf's with what i can see looking on GSF/euro carparts that they seem to be different sizes/off sets on different models.
Did see a conversion kit on edinborough trike services but read on here that they nicked one of your members ideas so would like to avoid them in that case out of princple.
Im hoping to buy all new and am aware the caliper carriers are 60 + vat but he is spending about 600 on the fencing epuipment so am hoping to get what i need for roughly this price.
Any help and advice would be very gratefuly received.

Many thanks in advance

Monkey Magic ( Andi )
hunter

« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »

Hi Andi Welcome to the forum,
Plenty of knowledge here,You wont be able to use vented discs,To thick,
You will need some MK1 or MK2 calipers and carriers,Later carriers are offset no good,And i think 1981-2 nova front discs.

I
Olds

« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »

Think I see a potential problem here.
Weren't standard Manta wheels either 13" or 14" depending on year etc. From what I remember you may need 15" or spacers.
Surprised a Reliant axle has survived 8 years behind a 2L Pinto. Perhaps being an auto helps.
Welcome to the forum and yes pics are always welcome Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
monkeymagic

« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »

Again, its probley me being thick.
so are the calipers and carriers the same on all models ie the same on a 1l to a gti?
same for the nova discs??
and yes - wheels are opel manta 14's - will it still work??
monkeymagic

« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »

Think I see a potential problem here.
Weren't standard Manta wheels either 13" or 14" depending on year etc. From what I remember you may need 15" or spacers.
Surprised a Reliant axle has survived 8 years behind a 2L Pinto. Perhaps being an auto helps.
Welcome to the forum and yes pics are always welcome Smiley

Surprised the whole thing has lasted the way he drives it!!
moorem

« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2014, 01:48:51 PM »

Another Newbie...
Well I've read through the forum and I'm not really that much further forward with my project.

Does anyone really have a definitive list of compatible parts for a Reliant "A" axle disc conversion. There is talk abot a list being made in a couple of comments.
I don't mind spending the money but I do mind buying the wrong parts and wasting hard earned cash.
I'm working with my brother to convert a 96 Guzzi 1000cc to a trike. We have got the swinging arm done and the axle has been cleaned and prepared but the huge number of parts and variations for rear brake caliper. carriers ad disks is really mind boggling.

If some one could point us in the right direction we would really appreciate the help.

Martin
andyrennison

« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »

I have just needed to remove my caliper carriers from My MK2 galaxy to repair my brakes. Looking at the caliper carriers they have identical dimensions to the Golf carriers I have for my reliant axle conversion to disks, apart from the mouting bolt diameters. I will take some measurements and pictures tomorrow.

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: