April 29, 2024, 01:31:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Reliant Disc brake conversion  (Read 243205 times)
Hagar

« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »

Evening ,

Now i do have a question though, is the bench holding the gazeebo up or is the gazeebo stopping the bench blowing away?  Grin

thats just shows the genius of Dali's design ...  all I know is they both fall over if I cut the string  ....

..  Hagar  ..   Grin

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:41 PM »

I'd assume it's the bore size or piston diameter too, so sounds like there's no problem.
Gazebo? I thought it was an oxygen tent for poorly tricycles.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Hagar

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2009, 05:47:35 PM »

Afternoon , should there be a return spring on the handbrake bracket on the cleaner of the two calipers ?  ...

cheers  .. Hagar  ..

its the gazeebo that needs some time in  in'tent'sive  care  ..   Grin

" When you have to kill a man , it costs nothing to be polite. "  .. Winston Churchill
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »

Grin
So your trike's loitering within tent?
Both calipers should have a coiled return spring on the handbrake mechanism.

Hagar

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »

Evening ,  its more like 'littering' within intent after a winter in the dodgey gazeebo  ....

return springs  .....  bugger

cheers  ..  Hagar  ..   Grin

XJ750(UK)

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »

also worth making a not of one reliant axle i have in my garage has three bolt holes holding the back plate on! tis not a problem if your gonna use flat plates for your disc conversion as you just need to drill one whole in a different place the other two line up perfect
I'm in the same boat, took my axle apart only to discover 3 bolt holes also. I'll have to get plates made with the holes in different places. I rang a couple of breakers here, looking mk2 golf caliper carriers, and the afore mentioned calipers, but to no avail, 1 had A4 calipers but no carriers, plus he was looking an extortionate price. I was wondering if any of you knew of any other calipers that would do the job.
Wouldn't you just know it, I ballsed up one of the big nuts on the end of the halfshafts that hold the hub on. Now to get the hubs pressed off the shafts.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #171 on: March 03, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

I've never seen a 3 bolt axle. All the ones I've ever worked on have been 4.
Reliant didn't make their own brake systems, they bought them in from whoever was cheapest at the time. I was told the 4 bolt jobbies use Leyland Mini brakes & the earlier ones, (presumably the 3 bolters like yours), are Triumph Herald or similar. 
Any caliper that has an integral mechanical handbrake mechanism will do the job.

brains

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »

hi xj750
I used seat leon calipers and golf mark 2 carriers of which I have one spare one. You can get new nuts easy and somewhere on this topic is the thread size as I messed mine doing the same. Someone on ebay is selling the plates made up for approx 5 pounds each last time I looked.. look in the trike section. You could redrill them to suit you axle. If you need one carrier I can sort it for you in about 2 weeks time as I am in the usa at the moment. PM me if you are interested. regards brains
Hagar

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »

Afternoon , I need to source something to hold braided brake lines to my frame , the frame is about 27mm and the lines are 7mm , I dont want to use cable ties on it if I can help it  , anyone got any ideas ?

cheers  ..  Hagar  ..  Grin

mouse

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »

i spot welded a small metal tag onto the axle then bought P clips and fixed um onto the tag m8

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
gazzagood

« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2009, 08:27:19 PM »

Wink hi hagar i can help you with your calliper plates as im sheet metal worker..ill post you some with the 47mm hole in but leave the axle holes out  so you can drill them youself... free of charge Roll Eyes thats y they call me gazzagood Grin Grin

I always know what I'm doing. Can you help me
PLEASE
gazzagood

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »

Grin Grin oooppps i meen xj750  Roll Eyes

I always know what I'm doing. Can you help me
PLEASE
Hagar

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19:24 PM »

Evening , I was thinking something like these ( only shiney ..   Grin  )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/codpiece/clamp.jpg
Reliant Disc brake conversion

Anybody seen anything similar ?  ...

..  Hagar  ..   Grin

brains

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2009, 11:50:26 PM »

How about trying your local cycle store I think something like those were used to locate cables around the frame ?
peanut

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2009, 10:42:48 AM »

It may be that you have a Kitten axle, as the backplates look very similar to mine, which also had a three-bolt fixing.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: