April 19, 2024, 02:35:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oil cooler for reliant  (Read 4774 times)
Al

« on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:02 PM »

has anyone fitted an oil cooler to a reliant 850 engine iv been reconing a couple of these over the past couple of weeks fortunately for me iv got a friend with a nice garage that skims heads and re-grinds the crank his view is like most people on here they are prone to overheating thats how im pondering this thought but aint sure if the oil pump would cope havent asked my pal as it has only hit me just now the thought of fitting the fitting of it would be quite straight forward has anyone done this or any thought on this
al
nabsim

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »

I haven't done it myself yet but keep looking at the remote oil filters and cooling kits on minisports web site. Maybe one day when I have it back on the road Wink

RODeo

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »

I think I asked on here about overheating quite a while ago. The general opinion was that the engines are more exposed than in a Reliant engine bay,so there wouldnt be problem. I stand to be corrected ,but I think Andy(Manky) said that he hadnt had a problem with the ones he has built.
 Of course there may be initial overheating probs with rebored engines due to friction/tightness etc.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »

Never had any problems with trike mounted Reliant engines, but they're prone to overheating in the standard car as the engine bay's very cramped & the back end of the motor's tucked right under the bulkhead of the car.
Unless you're planning on racing your motor, it's probably a bit overkill, but wouldn't do any harm.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Al

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »

Andy im doing f*** all else so doing things like this keeps me buzy with something to do overheating was in the engine bay that was the problem i will give it a try next engine lined up to get done is a 2cv but will do a reliant after that
al
bitzman5

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

When building my last kitcar (in 4 wheel section)i had a radiator recored no over heating no matter how hot the weather traffic was hope this helps

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
Al

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:55 PM »

thanks bitzman
Cabman77

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:11:30 AM »

for some reason (I know not why) re cored rads always seem to work better than replacement new ones..........well in my experiance anyway.

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »

If you want to change the oilpump you can use a fiesta oilpump. it is not a direct replacement but with an addapter plate can be made to fit,It's what the racers use.

I
nabsim

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Ya know I never even thought of fitting remote filter and oil cooler for extra cooling, I was going to do it for the cosmetics Smiley

Err, looking at what I typed I had best expand a bit. I do know you usually fit them to keep the oil at optimum temp but that wasn't why I was thinking of it. Wink

Al

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »

chears hunter will have a rumage next time im dropping a head in at my pals goodies shelf and see what he has got lying around
im the same with that was how i was thinking of fitting one
al
bitzman5

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

IF You add an oil cooler check that the oil can get hot enough to do its job you can over cool them if the origanal engine did not have one this may happen oil to cold

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
zakboy

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 05:01:32 AM »

you would not think you would get so many over heating probs with the reliant engine mounted on a trike with geting all that air round it, unless it was mounted at such an angle that the oil level in the sump was dramaticly changed so as not to be picking up enough for the engines needs,think the radiator is a little more vunrable in a trike set up being open to the elements making the core more likely to geting blockup.

Give me the strength to except the things in life i can not change
nabsim

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »

I don't think there are that many problems with reliants are there Zac, except where plumbing is wrong or waterways full of crud?

RODeo

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »

Re Mankys comment about overheating in the engine bay...
 Just my 2p.........
  When I ran a tuned 1098 austin engine in my A35 (the engines are very similar) I had probs with the rear cylinder getting hot on fast running,as it is tucked under the bulkhead.When I say fast running I mean constant 70 odd mph.  I cured it by running a 4" diam lump of heater air intake hose from the grille area to right on the rear cylinder area. Never happened again,but did seize the rear cylinder previous to this at about 95 mph (on my private test track,of course Grin) .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: