April 29, 2024, 01:23:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XS650 - igntion coils  (Read 3257 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: March 12, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »

Had a problem with the ignition on an old XS650 which me a my mate Dslam were working on.

The bike would run/ride all OK,  then the engine would stop an refuse to start. Take the plugs out and no spark.
The bike runs Lucas Rita electronic and these can be voltage dependant, so check voltage, connections etc, all appears AOK.

After a period of time the bike would start (without us doing anything to fix the issue). mmmmm???

It turned out (as best we could tell) that the coils were failing when they got warm, so a twin-ouput  (wasted spark) Dyna-coil was fitted, which gave the juiciest spark you could wish for, however mounting it to the bike needed a bracket of some kind.

The answer was quite simple. Piece of Al/Dural (about 8 - 9mm thick) as shown. The bracket not only securely mounts the coil, but also acts as a heat sink, as they can get warm.

A point to note with these dyna coils is that they should only be 'used' with plugs connected/grounded as serious damage to the coil can result otherwise.

So if any of you find a similar problem with your 30/40 year old coils, this could be a way out.

http://www.dynatekuk.com/

Piccie shows original coils
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:01:28 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »

Original coils

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »

New dyna coil and bracket

Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »

New dyna coil and bracket (other side)

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:26:33 PM »

Hoping mine will be O.K, when I eventually start my XS project, but just out of interest Tony, how much?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:25:57 AM »

Hoping mine will be O.K, when I eventually start my XS project, but just out of interest Tony, how much?

According to the website it looks like about £74  (but I'm not 100% sure off the model ref, just going by the fact that's it a 3 ohm 'green'. They colour-code them).
Here's the price list.
http://www.dynatekuk.com/accessories_dyna_coils.html

The one in the piccie was bought new & unused from a Brit bike shop owner who, when he bought a Norton Commando, also got it in a box of bits for an ignition upgrade from the owner that included the coil (new but never fitted).
Think that one cost about £25  Cheesy, which is ball-park price for a normal second-hand coil at a jumble.

ebay has them every now and then, but often in pairs. The high performance brigade use 'em lots. Price for new on ebay often is the same as the price in the above price list.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:35:55 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

madkitten

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »

i fitted 2 twin output dynacoils to my old gixxer as an upgrade and yer they give a great spark. but they have caused me a different problem now . i got a mapped ignition module and now when changing gear at high revvs i get ignition drop out and have to dethrottle wait a second and it will then revv up again. its the voltage surge, buggin it . and now starting to melt my loom and reg rec. there big and put out big spark but need big power in
voodoo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 12:34:10 AM »

Try these if you need any ignition parts... http://www.boyerbransden.com/index.html
Heres a link to the XS 650 set up..
http://www.boyerbransden.com/micro_power_digital_ignitions.html
Ive had Electronic Ignitions and Dyna coils off of them for several bikes/Trikes over the years....Voodoo.....
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:36:17 AM by voodoo » Logged

Custom Paint Spraying...
English by Birth..Biker by choice....
Growing old is inevitable...Growing up is optional....
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:56:28 AM »

i fitted 2 twin output dynacoils to my old gixxer as an upgrade and yer they give a great spark. but they have caused me a different problem now . i got a mapped ignition module and now when changing gear at high revvs i get ignition drop out and have to dethrottle wait a second and it will then revv up again. its the voltage surge, buggin it . and now starting to melt my loom and reg rec. there big and put out big spark but need big power in
Up the gauge of the input cable

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
madkitten

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »

wish it was that simple the wires are everywhere in the loom . did think of that that decided too hard and that i would get a new main wiring loom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: