March 29, 2024, 09:35:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43
  Print  
Author Topic: dobbers trike  (Read 161616 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #615 on: July 31, 2016, 10:15:13 PM »

'ello stranger!  Wink

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #616 on: August 05, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »

'ello stranger!  Wink

HASN,T,,he died then ,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
dobber

« Reply #617 on: January 11, 2017, 06:35:53 PM »

pulled the trike out to swill the engine out while the rear core plug is out, lots of white crystal stuff and a little brownish water came out. had it running while hose pipe shoved in top of rad.  went to put the core plug in and it allmost fell in, had a look today and waters freely dripping out. any ideas, do you hammer the core plug in the center of the dome to expand it,? last time i did one was a beagle  ha van.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:38:14 PM by dobber » Logged

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
dobber

« Reply #618 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:47 PM »

had it running but would only run on full choke, pehaps just cold but was pouring fuel out of this pipe

dobber

« Reply #619 on: January 11, 2017, 06:41:13 PM »

may have asked before but whats meant to go on this pipe, outlet?
one right in center of photo. its on  right of carb as viewed

minimutly

« Reply #620 on: January 11, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »

Thats there to suck blowby gases out of the sump on a mini - not sure if this carb is original reliant or not?
Connect it to the rocker cover and fit a breather type filler.
fifer

« Reply #621 on: January 12, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »

Problem with the fuel pouring out ,
I take it that the fuel hose is attached to the left hand pipe on the floatbowl lid and that the overflow hose is open to atmosphere ?
Photo info on hose positions at ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/su-carb-floatbowl-info
Is there a gasket on the float bowl lid ?
The nylon needle in the floatbowl might be faulty and not shutting off ?
The float might be punctured ?
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/carb-floatbowl-faults
Set the mixture as per ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/carb-only-runs-with-the-choke-out
The tube at the side of the carb needs to have a hose connected to it and then connected to the rocker cover breather cap .

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:07:14 AM by fifer » Logged

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
dobber

« Reply #622 on: January 12, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

it is a original reliant, [i think] . will connect it up.
theres a screw missing from the top of float bowl which may make it not seal fifer.  does the carb rely on pressure from the rocker to run right.?

spanners

« Reply #623 on: January 12, 2017, 09:12:24 PM »

it is a original reliant, [i think] . will connect it up.
theres a screw missing from the top of float bowl which may make it not seal fifer.  does the carb rely on pressure from the rocker to run right.?

i used to blank the breather pipe that comes out the side of the carb and went to the rocker cover  then let the rocker cover breath to the atmospere via a short downward pionting tube

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
fifer

« Reply #624 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:10 PM »

The tube at the side of the carb must be sealed .
It can be blanked off with a piece of hose and a bolt to blank the hose but , if you do that and leave the rocker cover breather open to atmosphere , the engine draws colder air in when you switch the engine off .
This can often cause condensation and gunge building up in the rocker cover especially if the vehicle is used for short journeys or is not allowed to get up to full working temperature ..
With the hose connected from the side of the carb from the rocker cover the carb sucks the vented air from the crankcase which is pushed up into the rocker cover to scavenge the sump .
Regarding the floatbowl , remove the lid complete with float and test for a punctured float and that the float shuts of the needle as per ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/carb-floatbowl-faults
Check the float height as per
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/carb-float-height-setting 
Anti flood floatbowl kit complete with viton tipped needle
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/su-carb-floatbowl-info 
Carb set up tips on my site at ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-stuff/carb-maintenance/carb-only-runs-with-the-choke-out
Did you put oil in the top of the carb dashpot ?
Also , if you get technical , I have made needle comparisons  so that some idea of where the needle points are weaker or richer at different throttle openings and can often be helpfull if used on trikes which obviously have varied exhaust systems .
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/carb-su-carb-jet-needle-spring-type-comparison-of-4-common-needles

dobber

« Reply #625 on: January 18, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »

cheers fifer, lot of info there. need to sort the leaking core plug at rear of engine to let the engine get up to temp.

cleaned and hosed what i could and ran the hose through woth it running which pumped out a lot of crap, then put in a newcore plug which went in far too easy , drips freely now, any ideas

spanners

« Reply #626 on: January 18, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »

make youre self an ,,oversize, core plug 

fifer

« Reply #627 on: January 18, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

cheers fifer, lot of info there. need to sort the leaking core plug at rear of engine to let the engine get up to temp.

cleaned and hosed what i could and ran the hose through wIth it running which pumped out a lot of crap, then put in a new core plug which went in far too easy , drips freely now, any ideas

When you clouted the convex centre of the core plug to fit it  is the core plug centre now concave ?
There is an optimum point where the outside of the core plug has spread to the maximum .
After that point the centre becomes concave and starts to pull the outside in again therefore it does not seal .
Fortunately I have never had a cylinder head worn so bad that I have had to use a sealant but lots of owners of various makes of vehicles have used it with success .

dobber

« Reply #628 on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »

pulled the trike out to swill the engine out while the rear core plug is out, lots of white crystal stuff and a little brownish water came out. had it running while hose pipe shoved in top of rad.  went to put the core plug in and it allmost fell in, had a look today and waters freely dripping out. any ideas, do you hammer the core plug in the center of the dome to expand it,? last time i did one was a beagle  ha van.
wondered that earlier in thread about hammering the centre of the core plug. been so long since i did one,

dobber

« Reply #629 on: October 17, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »

hi folks, wanting to order some  really flexible radiator hose for the reliant engine, they need to be really short n bend easy with out kinking.,
would anyone know  what the internal size needs to be and recommend a brand.
thanks in advance.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43
  Print  

Jump to: