April 29, 2024, 01:11:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom's XS650 Yam chop  (Read 3021 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: April 03, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »

Lunatic runs a car body repair/paint workshop, down in deepest Hampshire. The bulk of his work involves repairing dinged & scraped bumpers & doors, but once in a while something more interesting comes along.
Tom recently brought a 650 Yam rolling chassis in. The plan is to hardtail it as cheaply as possible & put together a very basic little chop.
So Loony & workshop buddy PD, who works as a mechanic elsewhere during the day, spent an evening setting up a jig on the welding table to make sure it goes together straight & true.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »

With the frame jig finished, PD cut away the seat rails. Tom's tried it for size & decided he wants to keep the new frame the same length as the original, rather than stretching the hardtail out by a few inches as is usual with chop frames, because he's building a bobber, not a chopper.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

Then Loony cut the swingarm & associated gubbins off the Yam frame, leaving just the basic front cradle.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

Following a visit from Clive, the XS650 project now has a rather spiffing Harley Sportster fuel tank. Only wedged in place here, so might sit lower once the Yam mounts have been removed. Or not.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:14 PM »

Tom brought in an old oil tank, originally fitted to a chopped Harley. With a bit of modification, it'll be recycled into a hiding place for the battery & fuses, (XSs are wet sump, so dont need a seperate oil tank). Loony's already sliced one end off. He'll sleeve it to produce a removable end cap.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »

He's also wondering about maybe disguising the ignition switch inside the oil filler bung.

Clive

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »

I've got a couple of other tanks kicking around, if that one proves to not look quite right!!

Clive

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Archie

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »

That's my really expensive oil tank I bought for mine lol. Gave it to an engineer behind the wire to chop the ends off, but he couldn't hold t straight, so made me a nice one off instead.

Clever barstard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: