April 29, 2024, 03:34:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New here  (Read 6583 times)
Desperate

« on: January 17, 2006, 02:21:40 PM »

Hi, new here, but not to customising. Found this place on "ChopperBuilder", and it looks nice and eccentric.
I have just finished building a '47 Morris 8 "Rat" and also have an Indian Chop.

www.chrisireland.co.uk  THE DESPERATE DAN WEBSITE
yoda
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »

and here is the trike pic

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
critch

i love the smell of nitrous in the morning

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »

mr desperate welcome !!just sent you your tapes and a photo you may like.....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 03:05:13 PM »

Desperate as in Mr Dan?
If so, then a huge welcome Sir to our 'umble little site! In fact welcome anyway, whether you're a megastar or not!
I simply love your work dahling. We must do lunch sometime. Been a fan of your machinery for years. I recognise the Indian from one of the mags & the pickup looks great. Just my kinda stuff!
Lost track of you after Great Yarmouth. Are you still in business? What happened to the Merc? Was discussing "Lowlife" with a mate the other day -is it still about?
Hope you'll stick around now you've found us -I didn't even know we were linked to ChopperBuilder!  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Desperate

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 03:28:06 PM »

Thank Critch, he put a link in (and so did I after having a look around). ChopperBuilder now has a Hotrod section.
Yes, it is I, Chris Ireland. No longer trading due to a Nervous Breakdown years ago (too stressful) but still building in my shed.
Sold the Mercedes but never got paid (buyer went bankrupt on me).
I remember your "Postie" trike. Always thought it was the nicest Reliant trike ever built.
Lowlife is still on the road, we re-supercharged it the other year.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 04:01:55 PM »

Yeah, I know all about the stress bit. Only got half a dozen projects on the go at the moment & already feeling like I'm drowning in a sea of tubing! Thank you for your praise Sir, very much appreciated Cheesy
Unlikely you can learn anything new here, but pull up a comfy beanbag & make yourself at home. I'll put the kettle on.
Always trying to encourage others to contribute, but with little success so far -don't suppose you want to send a few piccies in to Yodie? Would be nice to add a little more variety. We're into just about anything automotive here -& a few things that aren't, so anything & everything gratefully received! Won't hassle you though, just happy to have you aboard. Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »

Hey DD, while you're here, got any opinions on Jags? With luck my brother may have found me a running 4.2 straight 6 for my hotrod, (I picked up a '27 T body & chassis at Avon Park last year). Had originally planned to use Rover V8 power. How do they compare? What sort of performance can I expect from the Jag in a lightweight 'glas bodied roadster? Anything I should be wary of?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »

I gotta go play with Critch's bits -we're putting together a hardtail Reliant frame for his missus, but I'll be back later. Try not to break anything while I'm gone. Wink

critch

i love the smell of nitrous in the morning

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »

I gotta go play with Critch's bits
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Grin
Desperate

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:18:11 PM »

A lot of folk think I'm just into bikes and trikes. Very wrong. Used to buy HotRod as a boy, went to see Bikini Beach at the flicks, and my Dad took me to Santa Pod for my 16th birthday (1967). At 18 I was driving a V8 Pilot, and have owned dozens of Yanks. Had a chopped V8 Devon, Caddy powered Pop, and have done several roof chops (even a CA van), all for myself.
Jag power for the Rod? Well, everyone and his dog uses the Rover! I once had a Mk11 Zodiac with a 3.4 in it. Bloody fast. The best engine they did was the 3.8 with triple carbs. They're all superb engines with TONS of power. I think my most favourite car of all time, Satan's Pawn, was Jag powered. So was Stagecoach, and wasn't Stripteaser? Georgeous looking engines too. Only drawback....heavy. But so's a big-block!
I'll see what I can do regarding a few 'photos. Why does EVERYONE mention Lowlife? Here's one of my boy Jim on it. He's 26 now!!!
Chris Ireland....PetrolHead.
PS Hows about some history regarding this site.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »

Piccie doesn't seem to have uploaded mate. Try again.
Lowlife? Well, for me it was an iconic trike. The first true custom, ground up, one off trike, built as a complete design rather than just a bike conversion. It was unlike anything else on the road, (still is!), & to use one of those horrible American phrases, really pushed the envelope of vehicle design. Never really even seen it imitated successfully, let alone bettered. The nearest I've seen to it is the V8 Rover I photographed at Avon Park last year -see Motors, 3 Wheels & also featured on Yoda's site, "BikerLifestyle".
You're right about the Rover motors -common as muck, but plentiful. Pop Browns, who originally built the T body I've got, do loads of performance & dress up parts for the V8. I guess the Jag doesn't NEED prettying up though! The weight did concern me, (the car's, not mine, though that's a concern too!). Had visions of it standing on it's nose when we drop the motor in! I guess it'd make the steering heavier wouldn't it? I'm aiming for a very, very basic ratrod, no frills whatsoever., with the MMMotors logo in peeling, faded paint on the doors like the mock-up on the Homepage, (one of Yodie's virtual masterpieces). I've got an old Sherpa van sat in my lockup at the moment that I plan to relieve of it's beam front axle, suspension, steering etc.
Please, please, please send in some of your car piccies! If you scan a bunch of 'em & email 'em to Yoda, (contact address on the Homepage), & ask him nicely he'll make up a page for you in the Motors section. Some details or annecdotes would be nice. Keep asking for old Biker Photos & vintage drag racing piccies too. Sorry, not trying to lean on you & make you work for your forum membership, but it's a shame not to share all that stuff with an appreciative audience.
What history would you like to know?

Desperate

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »

History? Well, I'm bloody nosey. This is a great site. What made you start it? How long's it been going? You know the sort of thing. Me, I just like f*cking about and building silly things. Even triked my lawnmower. Wanna picture?
If you're interested in a page of pics, I'll mail you some samples. Give me a ring. Chris

yoda
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 10:06:26 PM »

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
yoda
Administrator