April 29, 2024, 12:08:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: swap  (Read 7955 times)
tony b

« on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

hi to all members,this is my first post,i hope ive done it correcly.
i have a gpz 600r ,all new bushes and bearings,new paint owes me £600 plus ,with loads of spares.needs clutch,brakes,gear lever,carb rubbers and indicators fitting,.i am looking for a reliant engin,box and prop shaft,with or without log book or plate.thank  you for your time,regards,tony b

it wasnt me ,you cant prove it;
mouse

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

hi m8 got just what you need  Grin
the only thing i havent got is a carb
i do have a load of spare though engine box prop starter motors alternators
pm me if your intersted
mick

Mousy Boy :-) AKA Mick Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:53 PM »

Hiya Tony -& welcome to Mankyville. Make yourself at home.  Wink
I think we've got a spare carb sat on the shelf in the shed.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
tony b

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »

hello manky(manky,i hope thats just your nickname)how much for the carb,shabba.

tony b

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:02 PM »

hi mouse,im interested in a swap but you are a long way from me ,perhaps we could meet half way,also ther is no exaust on this bike but i think ive got one off a gpz550 that should go on,regards ,tony b,shabba.

tony b

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »

hello again manky m,im just starting to collect the parts needed to build a trike,in your explanation on how to build a trike the pictures and all are a great way to show us all how to build a trike from the ground up,can you please tell me the length of the down tube from the headstock to the first bend,and the total length of the pipe that you used to get you from the headstock to the axel,
im thinking about a name for my trike,
its my first try at something like this although im perfectly at home with a welder,ive never used a(,bender )before,,not that im that way inclined,.so i dont expect it to be as good as the creations you have come up with.it might be a little bit worse for wear and look like its fell off some thing or other .
how about i call it "manky trike" or something in that ball park ,ta ta for now,tony b.shabba.

mouse

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »

where in the world are ya tony ?

tony b

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:23:07 PM »

hi mouse,
im in me house
eatin scouse
shabba

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »

Hiya Tony,
another Scouser eh? Never mind. We don't discriminate here.  Grin
Just checked in the shed. We've got this carb going spare. I think it came from "Moo", Taz's Reliant that we bought for spares. Ska Man had the rest of the engine but used his own carb I think. So although it looks like it's been dug up from a field, this came from a running engine. Yours for a tenner, plus the postage. 15 quid total? PM me with your address if you're interested & I'll bung it in the post in the next couple of days.
Frame dimensions- they all vary slightly according to what parts are being used, but I've just measured Taz's part built frame in the shed & the front down tubes measure 21 inches from the bottom of the headstock to the centre of the bend. We usually work in the opposite direction -put the wheels & tyres on the axle. That gives you the height of the propshaft off the ground. Then block the engine up on lumps of wood or whatever to the same height so that the propshaft runs parallel to the ground. Then take your chosen front end & prop it in place. Ours all sit at about 45 degrees, just cos we like 'em like that. Make sure you've allowed enough room for the forks to turn, plus the length of the front engine mounts, then measure the length of the down tubes. Mocking things up with wood, cardboard & people holding bits in place might sound like something from Blue Peter, but can save a lot of hassle & wasted materials when it comes to tube bending time. You might even find you don't like the look of your creation once you mock it up & decide to change bits. The beauty of building something yourself is you can change it whenever you want. If you don't like something, cut it off & do it again.
The full length of one side of the frame, from headstock to axle clamp, is just under 6 feet. We used to bend it all in one length but getting the kick up to the axle in the right direction to meet up with the axle clamp, then mirroring it perfectly on the other side, was a real pain. So now we cut the tube just behind the gearbox mount cross member & make the kick up as a seperate piece. We make up a slug of tube that will fit snugly inside the frame tubes, about 5 or 6 inches long. We use a section of frame tubing, cut down it's length & carefully squeezed in a vice until it's small enough in diameter. The two halves of the frame tube are slid over it, leaving a gap of about 3mm, which we fill with weld. The tubes are also drilled & button welded to either end of the slug inside. If the slug is long enough & a snug enough fit, (so it needs a hammer to tap it in place), the tubes will stay nicely straight & true when welded & once the rest of the frame's triangulated around it, the joint will be perfectly strong enough. I often use a piece of angle iron clamped to the tubes to make sure they're straight when I weld them to the slug.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:22:39 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

tony b

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »

cheers manky,im not a scouser as i live in st helens ,im a woolyback and proud of it st helens was moved to merseyside about 20 years ago ,we used to be in lancashire,god knows whos idea that was,well thats the end of the history lesson.
about the carb,ive been told about a reliant that has been stood in a garden for about 10 years so im going to have a look at it soon,ill let you know about the carb in due course,thanks for the measurements and your time,regards ,tony b,,,shabba

mouse

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 10:16:40 AM »

tony ive sent you a pm m8

tony b

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »

hi mick how do i get my pm m8

mouse

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »

top of the page "my messages"

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

I don't know a lot about building trikes but what I do know is that once it's built it will find it's own name!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »

I've called mine lots of things while I've been building it -none of it repeatable on a family website. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: