April 26, 2024, 10:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GS250T Clutch Pushrod  (Read 5685 times)
Mr_G

« on: June 13, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »

Here's the thing then, got home today (Friday 13th) to find that my GS was pi**ing oil all over the floor, further investigation shows that the oil seal around the clutch pushrod was not sealing mainly due to the rod being bent to nearly 30 degrees, I was told that this is an easy thing to fix, simply take the oil seal out, pull the rod out and straighten it in a vice or with a hammer. Easy for them to say! After removing the drive sprocket, seal retaining plate and oil seal I was greeted by a small disk with a hole in the middle for the rod to pass through and a smaller hole just under the rod which has no function that I can see, unless its something to do with oil flow? Does anyone have any ideas how to get this small disk out? (pics to follow) Or is it going to be a major job, in that I have to take the right hand engine cover off and take the clutch apart to get the rod out from the other side? If that's the case Doc says I can make a replacement gasket from a cereal box, would this be adequate?

Cheers guys, Zippy.

P.S. My GSX250E is exactly the same beneath the oil seal and no body seems to have ever heard of this small disk that I have stumbled across, not even the Suzuki dealer/workshop in Taunton. PLEASE HELP ME lol.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
Mr_G

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Here are the pics, and maybe I exagerated slightly when I said 30 degrees, its not an bad as I remembered lol  Grin

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

Question that occurs to me is, if you straighten it in a vice or with a hammer, is it going to weaken it?  Will it bend again straight away?

Oh and why did it bend anyway?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Mr_G

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »

Thats a good question and my answer is I dont know, I would probably use the one from my GSX as thats the reason I have it ie for spares. But back to my origional question?

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »

I know nothing about this particular bike but do you need to get the disc out?  Can you not just pull out the pushrod?

Or maybe the little hole is for inserting something to pull the disc out?  Like one of those little tools that look like a dentists instrument which are used for hooking out oil seals?

I'm just guessing here, based on your phots!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:31:51 PM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Mr_G

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »

I have tried that, have clipped my mole grips tightly to the rod, sat on the floor with my feet on the frame and tugged as hard as I could, I tugged so hard that the mole grips came flying off, from looking in the haynes manual it seems that the rod gets wider in ght middle and narrower again at the other end. Every one i have spoken to say that this rod should just slip out in thumb and finger but it's just not having it!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mr_G

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »

Sorted, Had to strip the clutch out to remove the rod from the other side. Took me about 5 hours in total, half of that was removing the 15 screws that hold the right hand cover plate on, pain in the ass job that was, all screws erounded off and had to be knocked out with a hammer and screw driver. Used the rod from my GSX as the GS one was far to bent.

Cheers.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »

Glad it's sorted!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »

So what bent it in the first place Zippy & will it do it again?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
texon

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:18 AM »

looking at the position of the bend it looks like the chain has come of at some time before you got it and the other owner could`nt be bothered to stip it all down to fix it glad your sorted Zipwanger  Wink
Mr_G

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 08:57:50 PM »

Rode it to work today, It seams that the gasket that I put in has not sealed and leaks slightly so next weekend i'll have to re-work part of what I have done and fit another gasket, assuming I can get one in time. Had to reuse one of my existing oil seals too so while i'm ordering I might as well get a new one of those too. Undecided

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

Ahh, the never-ending joys of motorcycle maintenance.  Tongue
At least you're back on the road mate.  Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
texon

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 04:24:02 PM »

drain all the oil out you wont have a leak then  Grin
Mr_G

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »

Didn't think of that, what a great idea, i'll get straight on it!  Grin

Mr_G

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »

So this weekend I have my work cut out, Doc has provided me with some gasket paper and some "Stuarts Micrometer" so that I can make a new seal for the clutch cover, need to seal the push rod oil seal better and now it looks like my bl**dy reg/rec has popped again! Oh this motorcycle malarky is all good fun aint it!  Angry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: