April 25, 2024, 09:09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding Driving Lights  (Read 5532 times)
Mr_G

« on: May 07, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »

Here's a question for you then, the head lamp on my GS250T leaves something to be desired (basically its gash) and gives off naff all light in the dark. I can not put a halogen bulb in it cos they don't make one in the style that I need, so I have bought a Yamaha RD250 head lamp to fit (existing brackets are going to need slight modification). Now my question to you is, I was thinking about getting a pair of the following driving lights to fit to the GS in addition to my new head lamp, Will the GS's generator put out enough power to run the standard bike + these 2 additional 55w halogen lamps? or am I going to have to replace all the other bulbs on the bike with LED's due to their low wattage requirements?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_232473_langId_-1_categoryId_72552

Cheers folks,

Zippy

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

My time machine is broken.................It was working fine tomorrow!
texon

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

Hi zipwanger should be ok on Suzuki`s they have a separate charging system that only comes on when the lights are turned on when the lights are off it just trickle charges the battery when the lights are on the main system boots in to stop the battery from being flattend if your charging sys is in good working order you should have no probs 
Mr_G

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:54:30 PM »

I can tell you that there is a constant flow of 14vdc into the battery even when idling, had to strap on a new reg/rec as the newtronics that was fitted was knackered. Thanks for your help texon  Grin Grin Grin

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."

retro900

I Love The Blues They Tell My Story

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

If you do add 2 driving lights, DO NOT wire them direct into the loom add a suitable relay.

"Ony Bikers Understand Why Dogs Like To Stick Their Heads Out Of Car Windows"
http://www.bikepics.com/members/retro900/
Mr_G

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:32:38 AM »

If you do add 2 driving lights, DO NOT wire them direct into the loom add a suitable relay.

I would use the provided wiring kit with relay and probably take the signal/coil voltage from the parking lamp as thats always on when the lights are regardless of high or dipped beam.

Cheers.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:11:20 PM »

Seem to remember when I was contemplating buying a Suzuki I was told I should always run it with the lights as otherwise it might/prolly would fry the reg/rec - so your extra lights might be the best thing for it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Mr_G

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind as I have already had to replace the Reg/Rec once.

Zippy.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 09:21:50 PM »

It was a GSX550 I was looking at, which was s/hand about 10 years ago!  it might have been peculiar to that model, but...........

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: