April 20, 2024, 06:47:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: motorcycle dimensions  (Read 7555 times)
hornet6

« on: January 28, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »

hi all.does anyone know of a website that has motrcycle dims.The reason being is that ive got a kwaker gpz 1000  wheels and forks for my chop project.What i need to find out is the total width of the back wheel when its all assembled with disc and sprocket and spacers either side.When ive got these dims i can then start making the frame for my chop.It doesnt matter if the frame is say 20mm wider than a kwaker swingarm,as i can always make the spacers slightly bigger either side.Think ive just answered my own question.phone a breakers yard and ask for inside measurements of a kwaker 1000 swingarm if they have one. Grin Grin Grin   

no projects ever finished
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »

Or I could ask my son in law to measure his?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Hillbilly Deluxe

i dont have an attitude ....maybe it's just you ??

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

Think ive just answered my own question.

you have mate. Smiley

hornet6

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »

biker gran could u ask your son in law to measure his swing arm then plz.The dimension i need is the space between the chain tensioners inside faces.tar very much  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:00 AM »

Might not get a chance till the weekend tho.

D'you want it in funny stuff or english?   (joke - metric bike I know I know, clever folks these Japanese!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 01:30:18 AM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
hornet6

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:51:20 PM »

dont matter what i get ,metric or imperial cuz i can read a tape in both. u could say ime bi-lingual lol Grin Grin

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:08:36 PM »

Well I rode down ther today - damn me if that isn'y a very difficult thing to measure! Cos there's an awful lot of bits in the way.

Best I can say is it's about 26cm.  Don't know if that's any help to you!

hornet6

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

thanx for your help,but ime not entierly sure thats right.my honda hornet swingarm is about 27 cms on the outside measurement,and that takes a bigger wheel than the kwaka as it uses a 180 section rear wheel as the kwakas a 150 section.not to worry,will try n phone some breakers and get some info off them,but thanx anyway.

trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »

hi hornet6, suggestion....get all your parts, wheels/tyres etc then make frame around them. ive found this the way to go, it takes the guess work out of it and youve more chance of it ending up right the first time.
good luck with the build  Cool

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 01:20:54 AM »

my honda hornet swingarm is about 27 cms on the outside measurement,and that takes a bigger wheel than the kwaka as it uses a 180 section rear wheel as the kwakas a 150 section.

That was inside the chain tensioners I measured, that's what you said!   Huh

hornet6

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:40:48 PM »

its all ok thanx as ive bought a wheel spindle of e/bay,so working around those dims,and alls going well so far. One question if anybody might know the answer.Ive seen on some chops a fixed rear wheel with a tensioner wheel placed on the bottom rails to give a bit of tension on the chain.Are those wheels made of a hard material similar to a skateboard wheel,as this is the way  ive decided to do my project as this will give the back end a nice clean minamilist look. Less is more. Anybody know anything about those tension wheels?   

VALLEYSBOY

sheep shagger

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »

them is nylon usually

More metal than skin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:42 PM »

Try a trials bike dealer- they use 'em on off-roaders, which have longer chain runs than most road bikes. Locally to us would be Motts Motorcycles in Basingstoke, Hants or Motorcycle Parts Centre in Reading, Berks.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
lunatic

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 10:21:18 AM »

Motts dont do off road stuff according to their staff. We found some on the display facing the counter! Roll Eyes But they didnt have any chain tensioners. Id be tempted to make one from an old skateboard or rollerblade wheel.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »

I tried a skate board wheel many years ago on my XS650 chop, but it just melted after a few days & the little bearing in the middle collapsed. Mind you, boarding was less sophisticated then so maybe the wheel composition's improved. I ended up with a spring loaded solid rubber block for a trail bike which worked fine.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: