April 20, 2024, 08:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: De-chroming  (Read 2820 times)
pie

« on: August 29, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »

I want to de-chrome my carb float bowls so they can be painted, anyone know where I can get them done?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

Never needed to remove chrome -it usually peels off all by itself.
Vapour blasting is probably the best way to avoid damaging the delicate castings, but not aware of anyone in our area who does it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Hillbilly Deluxe

i dont have an attitude ....maybe it's just you ??

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 08:40:11 AM »

chromer's can also de-chrome Roll Eyes

brock

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »

Bucket of water and a battery chager, I know that it dosn't sound right, plugging a gallon of water into the mains , but it does work, will also strip and clean rust. I have the details in the shed and if I remember will sort them out later today but here is a link to a very interesting site with plenty of info on it

http://forum.caswellplating.com/showthread.php?t=7239
graffian

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »

use sulphuric acid rather than water...................

The ali won't get damaged at all, it might be anodised though. Hang the bowl on a bit of ali wire from one terminal[+ve] and use a bit of lead flashing or aluminium for the other terminal...
The plating place I use have a drum of sulphuric acid and they just chuck the parts in and the chrome disapears. If your in a rush they electro remove it; I think they chuck it in chroming bath with polarity reversed.

You could also try sticking the bowls in a solution of  alum. I think the alum will dissolve the chrome, it won't damage the ali. You get alum in an old fashioned type chemist, it's used for something like drying mouth cankers[?] and stopping cuts bleeding, I chased a pack of it down to try it but never did try it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: