March 28, 2024, 03:35:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 791
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's Pop.  (Read 1537265 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11775 on: July 04, 2020, 07:46:55 PM »

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #11776 on: July 05, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »

Getting closer, ever closer.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11777 on: July 05, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »

So-o much left to do, but yeah, basically, what you can see when I open the garage door -the front end back to the bulkhead, (which needs respraying), plus the wiring.
Oh, & doors would be nice.
Easy Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11778 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:17 PM »

Most of the cruddy old paint stripped off the chassis & radius rods.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11779 on: July 06, 2020, 08:43:01 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11780 on: July 09, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »

Still paint stripping & sanding, so nothing new to show.
These arrived in the Post today though. I don't think I'll be able to use them, but they were only 8 quid each, so worth a go.
Motorcycle storage pods, intended for tools, gloves etc. They do a version with an over-centre clip & hasp for padlocking too. They're thick plastic with a large screw-on lid & look like those large Thermos flasks for soup or whatever.
I bought them because storage space in the Pop is non existant. It's basically a 2 seater car without even a boot. Even wearing a jacket is a bit of a pain because there's nowhere to put it if I take it off. I've just ordered a pair of mesh door pockets from Archie at Just Kampers & have made a small storage box between the seats, but that's it. So I thought I might be able to tuck one of these in each corner, behind the seats, but at 15" long by 5" diameter, they're probably too big. They're designed to be outdoors on a motorcycle, but I haven't got anywhere on the chassis I could hang them either. Worth a try though.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:26:04 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11781 on: July 09, 2020, 07:27:33 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11782 on: July 09, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11783 on: July 12, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »

Blazingly hot here in Hampshire today, so rather than spending my Sunday out, enjoying it at the beach or something, I spent it tucked away in the shadows of the garage, filing stuff yet again.
I cut the headlight mounts off the chassis ages ago -well, actually I cut one off ages ago & the other just recently. When the Pop was last on the road we found that on full steering lock & full suspension travel the mudguards tapped the side of the headlights.
The mounts sat at 90 degrees to the chassis, straight out sideways. They can't point straight forwards or they stop me opening the bonnet. So 45 degrees to the front corners of the chassis is the best I can do. It won't give me any more steering lock, (it has a huge turning circle), but should give me some extra clearance.
So I've spent all afternoon squaring up the roughly hacksawn off chassis stubs & the brackets themselves.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:27:53 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11784 on: July 12, 2020, 07:31:29 PM »

Then I found a suitable length of tube in my small spares stash & cut a couple of sleeves to go inside the mounts. Because the tubes are curved I could only drift the sleeves an inch or so into the mounts with a rubber mallet, but they're a good tight fit, (normally I'd drill the mount & plug weld the sleeve in place but it's definitely not going anywhere).
Seems a million years ago since I welded these mounts, in the shed at the bottom of the garden when I lived with Taz in Guildford.
The domed ends were made using a stack of different sized washers, welded together.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:34:03 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11785 on: July 12, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »

The other end of the sleeves were then thumped into the stubs on the chassis with my trusty mallet. I've filed a 45 degree chamfer on the tube ends for welding.
The headlight wires run down inside the mounts & out at the bottom.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11786 on: July 12, 2020, 07:41:42 PM »

They appear to sit reasonably level & true.
So now I need to find a local mobile welder. I gave my MIG away a while ago because I haven't used it for 5 or 6 years & don't intend to build anything else. It needed a fresh bottle of gas, which probably costs the same as getting someone to come & spend 10 minutes running 2 beads of weld around the tubes. I also started wearing reading glasses around the time I last welded & found I couldn't focus on the weld, just on the glass of the helmet, so would rather let someone else do it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11787 on: July 12, 2020, 07:45:14 PM »

While I was removing the headlights from the mounts & stripping the paint off, I found the silvering has bubbled up in both lights. They're repro' Massey Ferguson tractor lights, so I'll probably just buy another pair rather than trying to repair them.
Next job is to clean up some of the very lumpy welds around the front of the chassis -more filing Sad

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11788 on: July 14, 2020, 07:05:10 PM »

I was looking at the front end of the Pop this afternoon, thinking it's going to be a real pain to mask up & paint with the axle & suspension in place -there's no way I'm taking the spring off the axle as it was a pig of a thing to fit. Then I realised I can unbolt the U bolts from the spring perch & roll the whole axle/wheel/spring/radius rod combo out from under the chassis. That'll make it much easier to access everything.
Think I'll wait till my day off to tackle jacking it up & putting stands under the chassis.
In the meantime, I picked up the new brake pedal pushrod today, kindly machined from stainless by Loony's Dad, Dave. I bought the bright zinc plated clevis from Ebay. So now it's adjustable.
I also picked up the steering wheel. Loony's sprayed it in filler primer, but it needs a lot of sanding, so easier for me to do at my leisure than take up his money earning time.
Slowly coming together.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:08:35 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

jevi

« Reply #11789 on: July 14, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »

Your getting there and it's going to look fantastic when you're finished😊😊😊
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 791
  Print  

Jump to: