April 19, 2024, 11:34:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grandson starting college blacksmithing and welding course - Advice needed  (Read 3592 times)
JayJay

« on: August 17, 2021, 07:57:28 PM »

:-*Hi again

As many of you weld I wondered if you had any advice on the following equipment. Also does anybody have gear that would be suitable that they want to sell? A lot of this stuff seems really expensive, even the box! Even looking at the helmets leaves us a bit dismayed. So many types. A lot are solar ones. The price varies considerably and we just don't know if you really need to spend £200 on one when a £30 new one off Ebay is actually sufficient. Same applies with fire retardant overalls. Prices vary from £35 to hundreds. The box seems to be pricey too as it has to be metal.

Edited: I should have said he'll be:
Arc and MIG welding
TIG welding
Gas cutting
Using a forge

He needs to get:

• Pair of fire retardant overalls (navy/black)
  • Steel toe cap work boots (CE marked)
  • Locked box 500mm x 400mm
  • Welding helmet
  • Safety spectacles
  • Welding gloves
  • Ear defenders/protection

Would really appreciate your advice.

Cheers, JJ  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:29:23 PM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 07:12:19 PM »

As an ex coded welder, now happily retired I can say get what you can afford for now. I have a fifteen hundred pound air fed super dooper mask. I also have a forty pound e bay solar one, because the expensive one needs servicing, batteries, cleaning and it is unreliable without all the expense of servicing. Safety specs, screw fix has a huge range cheap and easily replaced. Gloves and boots come from here and there. Is he going to be signed up as an apprentice? Grants are available for tools etc. If you want I’ll speak to my old boss and see what is available nowadays. And tell him good luck from me, good to see a youngster grabbing the life. A few years and he will warrant good money.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 05:30:39 AM »

Totally agree with coppersmith. Get what you can afford. My helmet is a cheap solar one that works fine and has done for years. Couple of things I would suggest is that, safety boots come in a lot of styles, including trainers, but for what he will be doing, he will need proper leather boots, not shoes and as to gloves, best to try some on and get ones that allow him to feel what he is doing. Good luck to the lad.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
JayJay

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 11:56:46 AM »

Thanks both. Good advice.

Relieved about the helmet as that was looking really pricey. It's not an apprenticeship but they encourage them to consider that and they do have to do a few weeks work experience at a place that they have to find themselves. Any insider info on apprenticeships would be useful, if only to know what's out there. Chevy Rick has mentioned a welding place that he thinks my grandson should contact and I have been in touch with a local(ish) blacksmith.

My eldest grandson was at the same college a couple of years ago but a different course and we paid out a lot then for uniform, equipment etc plus he was living in so loads of money on kit for that and then covid hit and everything fell apart. Hopefully everything will be alright this time but you never know with covid.

Right, just got to find a metal lock box. We have to pay £100 up front for materials so it's a pity they can't make it themselves as their first project!  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Archie

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »

Re the mask / helmet - get a solar one, but make sure it’s a battery one you can turn off. I had a cheap solar only one which died quickly.

My new one is good and was about £50 from screwfix - https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im-awh-800d-welding-grinding-helmet/882ht#product_additional_details_container

Also a bigger screen / lens area makes a big difference.

If he’s after a welder and can get finance the R Tech ones are awesome. A friends a professional welder - tig/mig etc and his personal is one of these - https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-i-mig180

It works out about £50 a month for a really good machine.

The other thing to think about is size / portability. I’ve got an esab machine which is great, but it’s stuck in my garage as I can’t lift it by myself!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: