April 19, 2024, 02:36:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of privately owned cars?  (Read 1150 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-crisis-uk-public-transport-travel-cycling-driving-cars-a9431441.html

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
dobber

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »

the amount of times in wakefield i see busses empty, or one or two folk aboard, often following each other pumping fumes from big diesels is mad, not been on one since the days they had no roof n steam powered.
its cheaper for two folk to get a taxi from home to travel 3 mile to the centre than it is to get on the bus, wheres the incentive in that?

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
JayJay

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:14:47 AM »

After this health crisis they are going to need all the money earmarked for green initiatives to drag our economy back from the brink. As will everybody else.

I really can't believe they have even published it. Other countries are already saying there won't be any money for their country's green plans. Unless everybody commits equally then what's the point. It's not like we're all in our own biospheres, say where the high use of coal only affects Poland for example.

As for change in transport, what about people who can't catch buses because being dropped 100 feet from their house means they aren't getting home! If they can't walk 100 feet, it's unlikely they can ride a bike. If they could, where would they stick a week's shopping? Even my 'daughter-in-law', who will catch a bus to a supermarket, will get a taxi home with all her shopping.

It's ridiculous. Concentrate on improving engines to be less polluting and/or focus on fuels other than electric or petrol/diesel. They've had long enough but I suspect any move forwards is pushed back by the powerful petroleum companies and lobbyists.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: