March 28, 2024, 05:44:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: D'oh ! MX5 Emission AGAIN !  (Read 4919 times)
Olds

« on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »

Last year my daily failed the MOT on CO emissions and I discovered the catalytic converter had disintegrated internally so I fitted a new one. Hey presto CO down to 0.04%
This year it has failed it's MOT for, yep as the title states, sodding CO emissions. Huh

MOT tester was baffled. He could see the new exhaust system but the readings he was getting suggested a decat had been fitted. So it looks like the cat I bought last year has failed in some way. Angry

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
terry t

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »

I would get it checked at another mot station. just ask them to do an emission test
Archie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »

There are problems with some of the cheaper cats from euros etc. If you’ve got the receipt still it’ll be under warranty.

Might be worth a cataclean treatment goop and get it red hot before retesting it
spanners

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 06:50:08 PM »

What year is the MX5

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Olds

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »

Terry. Unless their equipment is faulty I can't see the point. They had no incentive to give false reading as they know I wouldn't get them to change the cat and it was a no pass no pay MOT. I also ought to replace a brake line that's  corroded.

Archie. Yep I heard that and am looking for the receipt. Thought about a cleaner but have decided to just replace the damned thing. Cheaper than a tank of fuel plus cleaner. Don't intend to keep the car so I've got a cheap cat coming.  At least it should be easy to change.

Mike. It's a 2000 car.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:45:38 AM by Olds » Logged

terry t

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:02:31 AM »

Terry. Unless their equipment is faulty I can't see the point. They had no incentive to give false reading as they know I wouldn't get them to change the cat and it was a no pass no pay MOT. I also ought to replace a brake line that's  corroded.

Archie. Yep I heard that and am looking for the receipt. Thought about a cleaner but have decided to just replace the damned thing. Cheaper than a tank of fuel plus cleaner. Don't intend to keep the car so I've got a cheap cat coming.  At least it should be easy to change.

Mike. It's a 2000 car.

Olds I'm not suggesting for one minute they where trying it one. it just may be a faulty reading at the end of the day its only a computer with sensors fitted and tested yearly   
Olds

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »

Don't think the equipment can be that far out as other cars tested were fine. They tried three times with almost the same results each time. It's not just failing it's failing big time.  0.65% CO, a fail is anything over 0.30%  Last year I had similar results with a cat that had no core left so pretty certain the cat has failed. HC readings are fine.

Olds

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »

New cat fitted so hopefully that will keep Mr MOT happy. Had to do it single handed and by that I don't mean on my own, but literally with one hand as I have a 'frozen' shoulder and couldn't use my left arm. Can't see much wrong with the one I've taken off and the very light coating of soot in the pipe suggests fueling must be OK.
Also made a up new rear brake pipe and glad that I did. When undoing one of the connections  the old pipe broke up !
I have checked the other rigid pipes and they all seem fine

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:01:53 PM »

Hope the shoulder sorts itself out mate.
So how old is this Mazda of yours then? What's the average lifespan of a cat? Is it like schrodinger's cat -you don't know if it's alive or dead until you open the box?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:52 PM »

The car's 18 years old and I think the cat and exhaust I removed last year may have been the original.
Unlike Schrodinger's cat where once you open the box you know it's very definitely dead (or not  Huh), this type of cat you can't tell by looking at it. Unless of course it's like the last one I had where there was no gut's left in it.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:13 PM »

Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 02:03:23 PM »

original equipment cats are ok, aftermarket are crap.
scrap dealers give way more money for an original, more precious metals in them. says it all.

Olds

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »

original equipment cats are ok, aftermarket are crap.
scrap dealers give way more money for an original, more precious metals in them. says it all.
Well they wouldn't have given me anything for my original one  Cheesy

MOT passed this morning with no problems.
 Total cost for MOT, catalytic converter and brake pipe  £77 so not too bad.  Smiley

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:30:23 AM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »

So it lives for another year Smiley

Olds

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »

Unless something goes bang it looks like it might.  Cheesy  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 04:29:47 AM by Olds » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: