April 25, 2024, 09:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Fired up again after 37 years  (Read 2379 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 02, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »

No, not a barn find -Voyager 1, NASA's oldest operational probe. It's the only man made object in interstellar space, having passed Venus & Saturn & still going, further & further into the darkness.
It needs to manouvre itself from time to time, to point it's antenna at Earth so it can communicate with us. Over time, it's thrusters have worn out though, meaning each change in rotation takes longer to achieve, using up valuable energy.
So NASA went back to the original specifications, written in long defunct computer code, & found a way to use it's original launch thrusters as a back up system. They tried it -& waited the 19 hours for the signal to reach the craft & back again. Success! After lying dormant for 37 years, the thrusters fired perfectly, extending Voyager's mission by another couple of years. There are members of the deep space team who've spent their entire careers working on this one tiny machine, still talking to us from the heavens.
I love all this stuff. It fascinates me that, as a species, we're capable of achieving so much. As an individual, I have trouble getting out of bed in the mornings Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:51:40 PM »

You may not be the same species as us mate ?..and to be honest whose thrusters are working after many years ?  Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »

Tongue Sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to educate you lot!

paulywombats

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »

I likes learning I do Roll Eyes

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Baychimp

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »

I do science..............Honest. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »

poprodder

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

was'nt he in buck rogers?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »

Yeah, that's right -Buck, aahhh, ahh saviour of the Universe.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »

Christmas present for the girlfriend's son. No, I don't do Christmas, but he's only 15 so I'll make an exception.
Yeah, of course I tried it on.
Hope he likes lumberjack shirts Smiley

spanners

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »

Christmas present for the girlfriend's son. No, I don't do Christmas, but he's only 15 so I'll make an exception.
Yeah, of course I tried it on.
Hope he likes lumberjack shirts Smiley

Girlfriend Huh You kept that quite

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »

Louise. It's a long distance, occasional kinda thing. It's complicated Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »

No, not a barn find -Voyager 1, NASA's oldest operational probe. It's the only man made object in interstellar space, having passed Venus & Saturn & still going, further & further into the darkness ...

Thanks Andy, that was interesting. Wonder if it was still Fortran that was coded in or something a bit newer. We are talking the 80s so even though C was about they didn't change that quickly as Fortran was tried and tested.  

I love anything to with space, the last frontier. Mind you they say that but considering most of the Earth is ocean (the oceans contain 99% of Earth's living space) and most of that is unexplored, especially when you think of the depths involved so perhaps there is lots to explore without leaving our planet!

What I really enjoyed this year was the Cassini Grand Finale. Another project that went on for years. 20 in all. It went as far as Saturn and recorded a multitude of data on its way and on its arrival. It even took photos of the rings as it passed through them. It showed that the particles that make up Saturn’s rings range in size from smaller than a grain of sand to as large as mountains!

It was finally sent to land on Saturn, so it would disintegrate and not just run out of fuel and be a problem. Who remembers Skyab?

Obviously, the disintegration on September 15th 2017 was the end of Cassini but not the end of processing and learning from all the data gained from it. I watched a brilliant programme that gave you the background, spoke to people who had often been working with Cassini for many years of their lives and witnessed its graceful end. If it gets repeated or there is an update, I'll let you know.

There is a great website on Cassini:
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:59:56 AM by JayJay » Logged

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:10 PM »

Yes please. I'd love to see that.

Baychimp

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure you are right JJ, about it being Fortran I think things like Algol, Basic and C came a little later.
minimutly

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:18 AM »

It may have even been machine code or some assembly language -
 "load c, add hf, move b" etc,
I wrote the code for an engine management system with this stuff - microchip pic 16f87, it ran the ignition and fuelling, quite well actually. I would love to get back into it but can't seem to find the time.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: