April 23, 2024, 05:32:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic fuel line repair.  (Read 2015 times)
Olds

« on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »

D'oh! What is it with me and car fuel problems.
The MX5 has started to drip petrol from the filter. Looks like someone had broken the push on fitting  on the end of the tank to filter fuel line. The clips are easy to break but also easy to repair.  Rather than repair it they cut the end off and joined the line to the filter with a bit of rubber hose. This has now started to dissolve and wasn't a safe way to repair it anyway as it's a pressurised line.
Unfortunately to replace the line means removing the rear suspension and diff assembly to remove the tank first. Feels like I've been here before. Sad
Decided to try to repair the line in the short term.
Made a brass double tail fitting that has to be pushed in while the pipe is hot (100 c) and a new end connector. This will be backed up with a short length of 8 mm braided fuel hose over the joint.
Hopefully this will sort it out.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:22:56 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »

Every time you say I made this I get insanely jealous Dave! Not many of us have the skills to quickly knock up a fitting. Smiley Time to put the engine in something more interesting?!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »

Time to put the engine in something more interesting?!
What something like the speedster ?
Job done, though it was still a pain getting the fitting into the pipe. Pressurised the fuel system before sliding the high pressure rubber fuel hose over the joint and no leaks. Even while pressurised I couldn't pull it apart.  Grin  Better to be safe though so the hose was pushed into place and secured with a couple of stainless clamps.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:35:54 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:29:20 PM »

Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: