April 24, 2024, 12:15:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery isolator switch  (Read 2514 times)
Clive

« on: January 22, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »

If I were to install a simple on/off battery isolator switch, would it matter whether it was fitted into the positive, or the negative side of the battery wiring?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
spanners

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »

it depends on what its controlling , if its just for anti theft  i put them in the earth lead ,, infact i fit most that way unless they are being used to isolate the supply to an accesorry  or winch etc

if it is to be fitted to ,motor sports regulations, then it needs to be motorsport approved and it will come as a multi pole switch and also isolate the vehicles alternator at the same time  and therefore it can be used as an emergancy stop switch also

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
dr big750

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »

Spanners is correct in everything he has said, I was involved in motorsport and have used these.
I also have them fitted to my camper van, on the negative lead, and work well to totally isolate the batteries when stored for a while, but must be the only connection to the earth on battery or else it will not isolate everything.
Clive

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »

Thanks gents.

Negative lead it is then! Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
spanners

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »

clive,, have you already purchased a switch , some of the ones with the red plastic removable key are rather poor quality  so be carefull what you buy , if you want one with a fixed key/knob  i know a good supplier  ihat i use and they also sell on ebay

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Clive

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »

Purchased one with the removable knob (fnaar Cheesy) Mike

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: