April 19, 2024, 11:33:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wheels on vans  (Read 3391 times)
the coppersmith

« on: January 04, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »

Had this happen on my trusty camper. Seems if you run a van you should use van wheels and van rated tyres. Luckily no other damage but the police are interested, seems they could be a fake alloy wheel  Embarrassed
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »

OUCH!

Me thinks you were fortunate that you and camper (VW?) came off as light as you did. What sort of speed were you doing, guessing fairly slow. What are you gonna fit now?

Be interesting to see the outcome of any investigation.

Was working in a metallurgy department back in the early 80’s when BMW motorcycles where having issues with some of their cast wheels, and one of our PhDs was consulting on the investigation.
They ended up doing re-calls.

http://www.bmwr65.org/htdocs/yabbfiles/Attachments/Wheel_Recall-2117.pdf

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/19inchrecall.htm

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
the coppersmith

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »

I was slowing down to leave the dual carriageway, in the slip road it just went bang, I thought I had hit a rock or something. Couldn't believe the mess. No one hurt. The police reckon they are aware of forgery in the alloy market from them out East and are about to wage a campaign against certain Customising traits (their words not mine). I was lucky, I still have my van in one piece, a bit scarred down below, nothing serious. I have gone back to the steel wheels and tyres.
                             I took this van and wheels to Portugal twice and Scotland once. Interesting that you can now use banded steel wheels, they were outlawed once, I used to make a good living from them. I have banded alloys, but was not impressed with the idea so stopped it despite a demand.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:58:02 PM »

I love the look of banded steels..I'm sure you can repair those alloys with chemical metal  Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

I have alloy wheels on my T5 California - I keep meaning to pop round to the local tyre place and get them to check whether they are properly rated for the weight of the van, there's a lot of talk about it on the FB T5 forum.  Personally I'd prefer to have steel wheels, never much liked the look of alloys, but I don't want the hassle of changing wheels, swopping tyres etc.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »

Good luck at the tyre monkeys BG, never had a sensible conversation at any I've been to...
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »

Good luck at the tyre monkeys BG, never had a sensible conversation at any I've been to...
  Grin Grin
lunatic

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

Stick to oem or well known brands ,buy from an actual shop rather than the cheapest place on eBay, make sure they are rated correctly for the weight and you won't have a problem. That picture has been doing the rounds this week, it looks like it's on a Mitsubishi evo. Even factory alloys are prone to cracks if you go over about 18" due to the crap state of the roads, replaced a set of jaguar and bmw ones for that reason.
kapri

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »

Even OEM on normal cars do that , designed to in fact ,so they save the MORE expensive suspension .
lunatic

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »

There's been some nasty cases involving fake brake parts, mainly motorcycle stuff, brembo calipers that break when you brake and discs that come to pieces! Two stands at the sema show were shut down for selling copies and a lot of the stuff in this country has been bought via alibaba.com. Always try to buy from somewhere reputable, even if they aren't the cheapest, if it's a critical component.
spanners

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »

had a lad from the local gym  come to me today with a  slow puncture on his fiesta  went to  just blow it up for him but could hear it leakin somewhere on the inside
took the wheel off only to find a 1 inch crack in the rim  , close inspection revealed MOMO,ALLOY WHEEL ,,MADE IN ,,CHINA,,  COMPLETE CRAP,,,,,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »

Ours is a good bloke - more to the point he went to school (and nursery) with my daughter "Hello Rose's Mum" - no he really is, one of the benefits of living in a small town is that people work to gain a good rep and then work to keep it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: