April 23, 2024, 07:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How many XS650s do the Monkeys own?  (Read 8758 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: November 13, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »

The various Yamaha XS650 builds/threads are scattered about the place a bit, so I was wondering, as you do, if we could get a snapshot of how many Monkeys have got one of these bikes on a single thread.

So:

A) who owns one or more XS650s
B) how many are finished and on the road
C) and if on the road, how long it took to get there and roughly what was done

Answers on a postcard along with photos of a "then and now" (as per Archie's) would be good too, so we get to see them all in one place.  Wink

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »

Grin
We do seem to have cornered the market in them don't we! The 2 wheeled version of our communal Reliant collection a few years ago, (how many still have a Reliant trike?).
Archie chatted to Blue, of 100% Biker magazine a while ago, about a joint feature on the Basingstoke bikes. Could be fun.

Just the one for me, though I've owned 5 or 6 others in the past. I've tried bigger bikes, but keep coming back to these. I think they're just my natural, comfortable level of biking.
Bought in 2004 as a non runner from a car dealer in Yorkshire, who took it in part ex' for a car. Cost £600. Total build cost, around 1 1/2 grand, but then another 1,000 blown on the engraving. Bought because it was cheap & tucked away for future attention, so sat for several years before I looked at it.
Not on the road, but close. Just waiting on Mr Dslam to fit n fettle the new Amal carbs. It's been running on the old, mismatched Amals, so not that far from being ready.

"The Junkyard Frog".
Original Yamaha frame, hardtailed by "PD", (Big Pete, a Basingstoke local, who used to drop in here occasionally), & modified a little by Mr Loon & myself.
Headstock raked by an extra 7 degrees by my brother Steve, ("Brock").
Standard length original forks.
Original cast ali' wheels, (19" front, 16" rear).
28" wide "drag bars".
Reproduction Harley Sportster fuel tank.
Western Eagle solo saddle.
Reproduction Bates headlight.
Reproduction early Chevy/Ford rear light.
Hand made ali' mudguards by Brooklands Bodycraft of Oxford.
Stainless steel high level exhausts by Torque Technique of Salisbury to my pattern.
Wiring by Nathan of Basingstoke, ("Galaxie 500", "Bright Light Customs").
Tank paint by "Lunatic" of Basingstoke to match my truck.
Black powder coating by A & C Shotblasting of Newbury, Berks.
Engine casings hand engraved by Tony Reynolds of Spain, incorporating a cartoon frog & name by me.
As many original or replacement Yamaha parts as possible, with various brackets, side panels, chainguard etc by me.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 10:40:18 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:04:42 AM »

I bought a spare engine from a breakers in Liverpool, which Lunatic bought off me as soon as I got home.
Also bought another, which I gave to my brother, Brock, in payment for work he'd done on mine & my truck, so eventually there'll be another couple of builds underway.

lunatic

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »

I've got all the bits to start mine I think. It will be a very basic hard tail chop, 16 and 21 inch wheels, springer forks, drum brakes, sportster tank and a much modified fxr rear mudguard.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:51:27 PM »

Mock it up! You've got the room to do it now  Smiley

Olds

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 06:09:38 PM »

Think Lunatic might be a bit busy getting the business back up and fully running.
With all the XS650's being hacked chopped, it wont be long before it's cheaper and easier to buy a real Brit bike again. Wink

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »

I see a place in Brighton has 4 xs650's in various states for sale on the bay. I want a British bike, preferably a Norton but I cannot find the mortgage repayments Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Smiley Yeah, must admit my first couple were bought because they looked like British bikes, but with all the faults taken out. 

spanners

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »

ive just got the one ,THE BLACK PIG,, which has been living upto its  name  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Firery Fred

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »

I own 1....plus spare engine ...previously owned an 840 built..... by DC racing .....in the 90s.     My ...much... better half has a Reliant trike ... Grin....The mods on me chop are too many to list ...ha ha ha

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:39:35 PM »

Photos!  Grin

Firery Fred

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »

Okay ...I'll give it a go ....am useless man ....ha ha ha

It's better to have a gun,(welding),and not need one than need a gun and not have one
Firery Fred

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 08:33:24 PM »

1st attempt

Firery Fred

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 08:34:54 PM »

2nd attempt

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: