April 25, 2024, 01:24:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: left hooker  (Read 25816 times)
the coppersmith

« on: November 04, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »

A friend of mine has a place in France where he spends more and more time. He asked me if it would be possible to convert his Gentry kit car to left hand drive, then he would leave it down in France. Ezzie Peezie I reply. So he dropped it around with a brand spanking new left hand drive rack. Then he gave me a run down of how he wanted it on the dash etc. Many new brackets and swear words later, I found it ain't so easy. The left side has the starter, the alternator, the wiper motor and fuse box. Plus it also has the exhaust manifold and pipe work. All weekend I slaved away, tacking, trial fitting, re-tacking, moving the pedal box, rebuilding the pedal box. More brackets, re-hash the exhaust pipe, more tacks. Finally think its all there, well the pedals work and the steering work. Now I have to start a new dash board, find a space for the wiper motor, spend a few hours re-glassing over holes on the right hand side, plus longer brake pipe and throttle cables are required, oops, forgot the choke cable. Ezzie peezie my ar*e. Unfortunately he wont appreciate the skinned knuckles and the sleepless nights or the grindings in the eye, he has no idea, let him loose with a screwdriver and he would have an eye out, he is an accountant, no mechanical savvy full stop. However I must say this Gentry is very well screwed together and has nice lines, I could easily see a rod coming out of one, bit like a 34, if you squint a bit and give it some artistic licence.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:39:33 PM »

There's no such thing as an easy peasy job!  Grin Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
scannerzer

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:01:36 PM »

maybe it might lead to the odd weekend in france as reward so could be worth it in the end
kapri

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »

Does he have it registered in France or is it on Brit plates still?
the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »

still on brit plates, an old "K" plate. Seems it has to be a certain age to qualify in France, but he does intend to get French plates.
kapri

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:07:10 PM »

From my understanding he hasn't a hope in hell of getting it registered, hence why I asked  :-( Usual trick is leaving it on Brit plates and bring it back , or at least out of France, every 6 months.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »

Bloke I know moved out there with the bike he built and couldn't get it registered.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
the coppersmith

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:53:10 AM »

Hey, whats with the negative vibes Huh
                  This guy is a whizz with paper work and I believe the French love their paper work, seems the car has to be 30 years old or at least have evidence of being 30 years old. A kit car forum has supplied all the details, he is in France at this moment talking to the powers that be, seems that's the Mayor? I'll keep you informed of whats happening.
twisted

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »

fingers crossed for your mate coppersmith. hope he gets it sorted and is wizzing round the countryside soon.

a man with a fork in a world full of soup
panthershaun

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »

good luck is all I can say mate, the French love their paperwork and hate kit car's and modifieds.. I know of several chap's who have tried and failed to get kit car's registered in France, even harder in Spain... I know if a vehicle is over 30 years old it doesn't need a certificate of conformity which is how the frenchies get round problems with their hotrods.... so maybe that is possible... as I say good luck to him as it can be a minefield, but at least he is talking to the most important man in his area, the Mayor Smiley

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
panthershaun

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:08:45 AM »

forgot to add I hope he proves me wrong as I hope to move over oneday and want to take my old/modified junk with me  Roll Eyes

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
kapri

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:37 PM »

Hey, whats with the negative vibes Huh
                  This guy is a whizz with paper work and I believe the French love their paper work, seems the car has to be 30 years old or at least have evidence of being 30 years old. A kit car forum has supplied all the details, he is in France at this moment talking to the powers that be, seems that's the Mayor? I'll keep you informed of whats happening.

Just forewarned is forearmed . As part of ACE ( www.the-ace.org.uk) I deal with this sort of stuff all the time. I know of a Mini that couldn't get registered because it had a 1000 instead on an 850 , that was 40 years old. Most don't realise how GREAT we have it in the UK.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:44:01 PM by kapri » Logged
the coppersmith

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »

Braving the monsoon, today the left hooker Gentry went for a MOT. IT PASSED !! no advisory's, the MOT man said good job, chuffed am I Grin Grin. Now, about getting it into France?? (not my concern really, slope shoulders, grab the money and say goodbye Wink)
the coppersmith

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »

all sorted, ready for the Ferry trip. Drives really nice.
hunter

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:51 PM »

That looks nice.

I
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: