March 28, 2024, 08:24:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike radiator question.  (Read 5840 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: November 23, 2006, 02:26:42 PM »

O.K, clever types. A question on header tanks. My Honda Sabre was fitted with a small plastic header bottle, attached to the rad by a rubber hose. Because I've cut the bike down to a single seater, I've lost some of the space where the bottle used to live. I found a small thermos bottle that will do as a replacement, but would rather run without it. So -do I need a header tank? Could I bin it & just fit an overflow pipe? That would allow the hot water to expand but would it boil itself dry if there's no extra water to replace it as it cools?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
yoda
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 04:15:18 PM »

i didnt have an overflow on my reliant
or my new BMW trike so i guess you would be ok

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk
a saveloy of the first order
A self propelling luggage cappacity system
Officially a lady of the night
owner of 'Yoda's magnificent emporium of snappingness'
and light bulb mogul of the Midlands
ByzMax

Choppit

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »

As it's purpose is to let the water expand without damaging the rad etc it should be ok but you need to make sure that after it has been run  at high temp the water level is sufficent to cover all the bits it should.

I presume that the filler cap is of the pressurised sort that allows the water to pass into the expansion tank when the pressure gets too high or is the expansion the one with the pressurised cap?

My Capri has an expansion tank that never gets used. I fill up the rad and that's that. It does have a pressure cap on the rad and not on the expansion bottle.

Ironic that the homeless persons drink of choice is Tennants eh?

http://www.choppit.co.uk
toad

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »

tis a grey area! if its fitted its needed. most systems use the bottle to vent the water when its expanded under pressure and heat. as the system cools the previously vented water is drawn back into the system. my personal opinion is dont run without one as you may end up running out of coolant!

IF IT AINT RED AND WHITE IT AINT RIGHT
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 09:25:53 PM »

Seems to me, if you get rid of the header/expansion tank, then you'll have to carry a bottle with spare coolant to top up what you lose - you might as well find space for the original bit!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 09:56:29 PM »

Yup, guess you're right. The header tank just had a rubber bung that the hose pushed into, so the cap must be pressurised. I'll have to shuffle the bits under the seat around again then. Thanks people.

davesatan

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »

go to pound land nice ally slim hair dressing spray water bottles in various colours make great overflow/expansion bottles

how long is a piece of hope
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:46:54 AM »

Ha ha! That's exactly what I've got! Got the bigger size cos that's all they sold, then saw the slimmer ones in my local barbers shop. They wouldn't swap with me though.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »

Original plastic tank now re-installed under the seat. It meant finding new homes for some of the 'leccy stuff but better safe than sorry I guess.

saddlebags

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 07:51:21 PM »

Local barbers shop,didn't know they still existed,mind you i haven't needed one for a while,mother nature cuts my hair now Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 11:39:59 PM »

I deliver to a barbers called Tom, Dick & Harry & a hair salon called Marco Polo -no, I don't know why they're called that either.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: